Re: [TalkAntietam] Antietam Tour: Burnside's Attack

  • TR Livesey
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 26, 2001

      Can you actually get up to where the guns were? By my reconing, the
      guns were up hill a good 80/100 feet over the current road bed.

      I am assuming the spot of the monument you are referring to is
      near where the modern road (in white) exits the bottom of this
      image:

      http://www.enteract.com/~westwood/talkantietam/base.gif

      TR Livesey
      westwood@...

      Tom Clemens wrote:

      > Bill,
      > McMullin's has a monumnet on the ridge where the Ninth Corps guns were located. It is
      > right along the Burnside Bridge road, the real road, not the NPS road. I'd be happy to
      > show you if I am available.

    • Tom Clemens
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 26, 2001
        TR,
        With permission, yes. The monument is located at the crest of the hill adjacent to the road,
        and yes the guns were well uphill from there. As usual, your maps are excellent.