Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Question

    Message 1 of 30 , May 29, 2007
      Dear Stephen,

      Your point about Harsh is definitely well taken.

      However, Sears' maps are not as good as those in Murfin's Gleam
      of Bayonets.

      Message 2 of 30 , May 30, 2007
        I agree with Gerry: Murfin's maps are better than Sears'. Priest's
        maps are better than Sears'.

        The Carman-Cope "Atlas of the battlefield of Antietam", of course, is
        in a class of its own.

        TRL

        Message 3 of 30 , May 30, 2007
          Dear Todd,

          IIRC Murfin used the Cope maps for his book....

          I agree with Gerry: Murfin's maps are better than Sears'.
          Priest's
          maps are better than Sears'.

          The Carman-Cope "Atlas of the battlefield of Antietam", of
          course, is
          in a class of its own.

          TRL

          > Dear Stephen,
          >
          > Your point about Harsh is definitely well taken.
          >
          > However, Sears' maps are not as good as those in Murfin's Gleam
          > of Bayonets.

          > from

        • T. R. Livesey
          Message 4 of 30 , May 30, 2007

            In Murfin's introduction, he states that the maps are the work of
            James D. Bowlby, the result of 10 years of field surveys, a revision
            of the Cope maps. The base map looks a lot like the Cope maps, but
            use terrain symbols much more suitable for smaller-scale reproduction.
            There are a few differences: one shows a corn field where the other
            shows clover, etc. Inexplicably, the elevation contour lines have
            been removed in Murphin's, seriously compromising their usefulness.

            Priest uses the "Parks and History Association" map as his base, which
            I think more closely follows the Cope maps. It uses symbols that are
            similar, but not identical to the Cope maps. I don't know the history
            of this map. It too lacks elevation markings.

            From my experience, including elevation markings is always a
            challenge, especially if you want to zoom out and show a broader
            expanse of area. The downside, of course, is that you end up with
            maps that look like the way Sears' text reads: there is no way to
            really understand how the terrain affects the situation. For example,
            in the maps of all three of these books, the reader cannot appreciate
            the situation in the 40 acre cornfield: how can the 4RI get `lost'?
            How can A.P. Hill come up out of nowhere on Burnside's left? I think
            a serious argument can be made that the elevation information is more
            important than the ground cover information (woods vs. corn vs.
            clover, etc.). But ground cover maps are more aesthetically pleasing
            to look at and readers are drawn to them.

            The obvious solution to the `busying-up' effect of contour lines is to
            use contours of greater intervals: 50 ft. instead of 20 ft. or
            whatever. Curiously, the version of the Parks and History Association
            map sold at the Antietam bookstore is plenty large for contour
            makings, but they are nonetheless omitted. I think somehow the authors
            of these maps have simply decided that elevation markings are not
            necessary. This is why the Cope maps are far more useful than any of
            these others.

            TRL

            Message 5 of 30 , May 30, 2007
              Thanks Todd.

              BTW the Trailhead Graphics map of Antietam is simply superb...
              but unfortunately not possible to put in a book.

[...]

              From my experience, including elevation markings is always a

              Message 6 of 30 , May 30, 2007
                TR,
                I couldn't agree more! The P&H map is the base map of the Carman/Cope maps, but they do indeed leave out the elevation markings. Great if you want to know crops types, fences, etc. but not good for understanding the battle. Preist used this map, but the whole thing never appears in the book so if you don't know the field to begin with, you'll be lost like a hiccup in a hurricane. Also he used some odd symbols for artillery, etc.
                Tom Clemen

                >>> "T. R. Livesey" <tlivesey@...> 05/30/07 1:36 PM >>>

                Gerry,

                In Murfin's introduction, he states that the maps are the work of
                James D. Bowlby, the result of 10 years of field surveys, a revision
                of the Cope maps. The base map looks a lot like the Cope maps, but
                use terrain symbols much more suitable for smaller-scale reproduction.
                There are a few differences: one shows a corn field where the other
                shows clover, etc. Inexplicably, the elevation contour lines have
                been removed in Murphin's, seriously compromising their usefulness.

                Priest uses the "Parks and History Association" map as his base, which
                I think more closely follows the Cope maps. It uses symbols that are
                similar, but not identical to the Cope maps. I don't know the history
                of this map. It too lacks elevation markings.

                From my experience, including elevation markings is always a
                challenge, especially if you want to zoom out and show a broader
                expanse of area. The downside, of course, is that you end up with
                maps that look like the way Sears' text reads: there is no way to
                really understand how the terrain affects the situation. For example,
                in the maps of all three of these books, the reader cannot appreciate
                the situation in the 40 acre cornfield: how can the 4RI get `lost'?
                How can A.P. Hill come up out of nowhere on Burnside's left? I think
                a serious argument can be made that the elevation information is more
                important than the ground cover information (woods vs. corn vs.
                clover, etc.). But ground cover maps are more aesthetically pleasing
                to look at and readers are drawn to them.

                The obvious solution to the `busying-up' effect of contour lines is to
                use contours of greater intervals: 50 ft. instead of 20 ft. or
                whatever. Curiously, the version of the Parks and History Association
                map sold at the Antietam bookstore is plenty large for contour
                makings, but they are nonetheless omitted. I think somehow the authors
                of these maps have simply decided that elevation markings are not
                necessary. This is why the Cope maps are far more useful than any of
                these others.

                TRL

                > Dear Todd,
                >
                > IIRC Murfin used the Cope maps for his book....

              • James W. Durney
                Message 7 of 30 , May 30, 2007
                  --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "T. R. Livesey" <tlivesey@...>
                  wrote:

                  > From my experience, including elevation markings is always a
                  > challenge, especially if you want to zoom out and show a broader
                  > expanse of area. The downside, of course, is that you end up with
                  > maps that look like the way Sears' text reads: there is no way to
                  > really understand how the terrain affects the situation. For
                  example,
                  > in the maps of all three of these books, the reader cannot
                  appreciate
                  > the situation in the 40 acre cornfield: how can the 4RI get `lost'?
                  > How can A.P. Hill come up out of nowhere on Burnside's left? I
                  think
                  > a serious argument can be made that the elevation information is
                  more
                  > important than the ground cover information (woods vs. corn vs.
                  > clover, etc.).

                  I think Anitetam cannot be understood w/o elevation markings. My
                  first chance to walk the battlefield was a revelation that I will
                  never forget. Neither Sears, Priest or Harsh had told me how much
                  elevation impacts the battle.

                  James
                • T. R. Livesey
                  Message 8 of 30 , May 30, 2007
                    Murfin's maps also suffer somewhat from the problem that there is no
                    image of the whole battlefield, making orientation difficult. Since I
                    owned a copy of the Parks and History Association map before I read
                    any of these books, I never really had a problem with orientation.

                    While it is certainly not the 'best' book (at least not for an overall
                    introduction to the battle), Luvaas & Nelson's "US Army War College
                    Guide to the Battle of Antietam" is worthy of mention, particularly
                    for actually visiting the battlefield and related sites at S Mountain
                    and Harper's Ferry. Definitely the best driving directions for getting
                    around S Mountain. Whenever I take visitor's to the battlefield, I
                    always take the route that they suggest: start at the Pry House, then
                    to the Keedysville road, over the little Antietam, past Pry's Mill,
                    over the upper bridge, down the Smoketown road into the east woods.
                    Not only does it take you past fields, roads and houses that look like
                    they haven't changed much since 1862, but it also gives a good sense
                    the kind of ground in the area. And, there will be no other tourists
                    entering the battlefield from that route. At first glance their maps
                    are somewhat primitive, but they do show contour lines, which in my
                    opinion makes them far more useful than the maps in the other three.
                    Cute symbols for corn and clover and stubble are cool but they just
                    don't work when the map is reduced to book page size. Also
                    indispensable if you are using the map while visiting the battlefield
                    is the inclusion of modern features (e.g. roads, structures and tour
                    stops) so that you can figure out where you are in relation to the
                    historical features. None of the big three's maps show modern
                    features, but the Luvaas & Nelson maps do. It's too bad that Luvaas &
                    Nelson only did little map segments at Antietam to illustrate the
                    portions of ground they study instead of producing a whole battlefield
                    map because I think they had the right idea given the limitations of
                    maps that appear in a book. Their map of the Harper's Ferry area is great.

                    TRL

                    Message 9 of 30 , Jun 1, 2007
                      Anyone know anything about this fellow? Thanks.

                      Stephen Recker
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jun 1, 2007
                        Stephen,

                        What other information do you have about his unit?

                        Message 11 of 30 , Jun 1, 2007
                          I seem to remember hearing/reading somewhere that Stonewall Jackson,
                          some time around the morning of September 15th, wrote Lee from Harper's
                          Ferry that, "I will meet you in Sharpsburg". Can't find the cite.
                          Actually can only find Stonewall asking Lee where he should go after
                          the fall of HF. Any thoughts? Thanks.

                          Stephen Recker
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jun 2, 2007
                            Steve,
                            1st lt. James E. March mustered in with te regiment, mustered out
                            10/27/1864 on expiration of service, was "recommissioned from civil
                            life" 12/1/1864. Offical Army Register, Vol. I, p. 200.

                            Tom Clemens

                            Message 13 of 30 , Jun 2, 2007
                              Steve,
                              The only message recorded as sent by Jackson to Lee on the 15th was the
                              announcement of the surrender of HF. In that message, OR, Vol. 19, pt.
                              1, p. 951, he asks Lee where to send his troops. If there is something
                              else I don't know of it, and neither does Joe Harsh, who discusses it in
                              Sounding the Shallows, Chap. 8, section L.

                              I seem to remember hearing/reading somewhere that Stonewall Jackson,
                              some time around the morning of September 15th, wrote Lee from Harper's
                              Ferry that, "I will meet you in Sharpsburg". Can't find the cite.
                              Actually can only find Stonewall asking Lee where he should go after
                              the fall of HF. Any thoughts? Thanks.

                              Stephen Recker
                            • joseph_pierro
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jun 23, 2007
                                Having just joined the group, I realize I'm coming into this
                                discussion a tad late (so please forgive).

                                For anyone interested in a broad study of the entire campaign at the
                                operational level, I'd recommend Harsh as a good first start.

                                If the tactical mechanics of Antietam itself are more your concern,
                                I'd recommend either Murfin or Sears.

                                Mike Priest's books contain a good deal of "color" from soldiers in
                                the ranks; his "big picture" can be a bit difficult to follow if you
                                are not already well versed on the basics of the battle.

                                The Ezra Carman manuscript is incredibly detailed (imagine Sears or
                                Murfin, but on a regimental level-focus instead of brigade or
                                division). Wonderful for later study, but not a place I would
                                recommend someone to start their investigation. (It's similar in
                                that regard to Bigelow's "Campaign of Chancellorsville," if you are
                                familiar with that massive study.)

                                As for maps, Murfin's are quite good, and are baszed off of the
                                original Carman Atlas of Antietam. It's long out of print, but the
                                Library of Congress was recently scanned it in in its entirety as
                                part of its "American Memory" digital archive. I don;t have the link
                                to hand -- I'm writing this from the road-- but if you search Carman
                                and Antietam in American Memory, you'll get teh link for the Atlas.
                                Best of all, the map reading software--which you can download for
                                free--allows you to zoom as tight as you might want in crystal clear
                                resolution).

                                -- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@...>

                                Message 15 of 30 , Oct 6, 2007
                                  A friend on another list pointed out that Isaac Wistar's memoirs mention
                                  going to Keedysville after he was wounded and being treated at a
                                  shopkeeper's house where other 71st PA officers were also treated. The
                                  shopkeeper, accordnig to Wistar, was killed by a stray shot. has anyone
                                  ever heard this story before? It is not in O.T. Reilly's book, or other
                                  accounts I have seen. Any data?