Re: [TalkAntietam] Question

  • jdpolaski@aol.com
    Message 1 of 30 , May 27, 2007
      There is another book called Antietam, by William A. Frassanito which is a
      pretty good book also.

      Message 2 of 30 , May 27, 2007
        As far a as a general 'who-shot-who', I would recommend Sears'
        "Landscape Turned Red" for a first-timer. James Murphin's "Gleam of
        Bayonets" pre-dates Sears and is thought by some to be more
        historically accurate, but Sears is a better read IMHO. Sears also
        covers more of the battle than Murfin. But certainly read Murfin next.

        That said, I've been thinking about raising this question for a while.
        Some have said that they feel Sears gets some things wrong in his book.
        Would anyone care to share where they think he went wrong? Thanks.

        Stephen

        On Sunday, May 27, 2007, at 03:38 PM, James W. Durney wrote:

        > What is the "best book" on this battle?

      • Tom Shay
        Message 3 of 30 , May 27, 2007
          I'm sure Stephen Recker and other Antietam guides are routinely asked that question. Indeed, during last weekend's visit to Antietam, many members of the Gettysburg CWRT asked for book suggestions.

          For a detailed explanation of the Maryland Campaign, South Mtn and Antietam, Sears' LANDSCAPE TURNED RED is a good choice.

          The best and most thought-provoking history of the Maryland Campaignn is Joe Harsh's TAKEN AT THE FLOOD, albeit from Lee's prespective.

          James Murfin's "Gleam of Bayonets" runs a decent second place to both above books.

          The forthcoming publication of Ezra Carman's battle history will provide a long-needed detailed tactical study of the battle itself.

          Message 4 of 30 , May 28, 2007
            It depends on what you are looking for. Strategically the :best:
            book I have read is Joe Harsh's Taken at the Flood. Tactically,
            the best is Jim Murfin's Gleam of Bayonets.

            Message 5 of 30 , May 28, 2007
              Dear Richard,

              IMHO Sears is not as good as Murfin. Sears' great hindrance to
              Landscape Turned Red, and IMHO it shows, is he never once set
              foot on the actual terrain while writing the book. Murfin, on the
              other hand, was intimately familiar with all the terrain features
              of the field of battle...and it shows in his book.

              Message 6 of 30 , May 28, 2007
                I was astounded when I wrote No Greater Courage...The very first time I ever went to Fredericksburg, Donald Pfanz (staff historian) told me he was already impressed with my research. I had only just begun, so I asked why -- He said, "Because you're here. People write books about this fight and never bother to show up."

                It was a little tough for me, living in Atlanta (I should have picked different battles I guess), but six trips to Sharpsburg and four to Fredericksburg and I had at least a feel for the lay of the land.

                I used Murfin and Sears (and about a dozen others) but without Landscape Turned Red (and significant help from Ted and Walter), I would have been lost in terms of what happened when. Sears is a decent writer -- more than can be said for a great many minutiae hunters.

                Richard

                >I hope you are all in deep admiration of my self-restraint.
                >
                > I recommend Sears. (sigh)
                >
                > Richard Croker

              • James W. Durney
                Message 7 of 30 , May 29, 2007
                  No one has mentioned Priest's book on the battle. The first Antietam
                  book I read was Sears' book, somehow it left me with a very bad
                  impression of the battle. Years later, I picked up the Preist book and
                  found a different view, which lead me to Harsh's work. I know Priest
                  has been savaged for his South Mt. battle book by some people.
                  However, I would like to know why his Antietam book has been left off
                  every list.

                  James
                  Message 8 of 30 , May 29, 2007
                    James,

                    Priest is good also, but a lot of what he writes or cites is just
                    plain wrong.... There are many instances of his citations being
                    wrong or incorrect.

                    He also can be very confusing to read..............

                    Message 9 of 30 , May 29, 2007
                      Having read Sears, as much as Priet as I could wade through, and
                      Harsh, I favor Harsh. I think if you are going to read Harsh it is
                      helpful to Read Confederate Tide Rising as well as Taken at the Flood.
                      I believe he meant them to be one work. Of all the books mentioned,
                      Sears has by far the best maps, not a small consideration.

                      Message 10 of 30 , May 29, 2007
                        Dear Stephen,

                        Your point about Harsh is definitely well taken.

                        However, Sears' maps are not as good as those in Murfin's Gleam
                        of Bayonets.

                        Message 11 of 30 , May 30, 2007
                          I agree with Gerry: Murfin's maps are better than Sears'. Priest's
                          maps are better than Sears'.

                          The Carman-Cope "Atlas of the battlefield of Antietam", of course, is
                          in a class of its own.

                          TRL

                          Message 12 of 30 , May 30, 2007
                            Dear Todd,

                            IIRC Murfin used the Cope maps for his book....

                            I agree with Gerry: Murfin's maps are better than Sears'.
                            Priest's
                            maps are better than Sears'.

                            The Carman-Cope "Atlas of the battlefield of Antietam", of
                            course, is
                            in a class of its own.

                            TRL

                            > Dear Stephen,
                            >
                            > Your point about Harsh is definitely well taken.
                            >
                            > However, Sears' maps are not as good as those in Murfin's Gleam
                            > of Bayonets.

                            > from

                          • T. R. Livesey
                            Message 13 of 30 , May 30, 2007

                              In Murfin's introduction, he states that the maps are the work of
                              James D. Bowlby, the result of 10 years of field surveys, a revision
                              of the Cope maps. The base map looks a lot like the Cope maps, but
                              use terrain symbols much more suitable for smaller-scale reproduction.
                              There are a few differences: one shows a corn field where the other
                              shows clover, etc. Inexplicably, the elevation contour lines have
                              been removed in Murphin's, seriously compromising their usefulness.

                              Priest uses the "Parks and History Association" map as his base, which
                              I think more closely follows the Cope maps. It uses symbols that are
                              similar, but not identical to the Cope maps. I don't know the history
                              of this map. It too lacks elevation markings.

                              From my experience, including elevation markings is always a
                              challenge, especially if you want to zoom out and show a broader
                              expanse of area. The downside, of course, is that you end up with
                              maps that look like the way Sears' text reads: there is no way to
                              really understand how the terrain affects the situation. For example,
                              in the maps of all three of these books, the reader cannot appreciate
                              the situation in the 40 acre cornfield: how can the 4RI get `lost'?
                              How can A.P. Hill come up out of nowhere on Burnside's left? I think
                              a serious argument can be made that the elevation information is more
                              important than the ground cover information (woods vs. corn vs.
                              clover, etc.). But ground cover maps are more aesthetically pleasing
                              to look at and readers are drawn to them.

                              The obvious solution to the `busying-up' effect of contour lines is to
                              use contours of greater intervals: 50 ft. instead of 20 ft. or
                              whatever. Curiously, the version of the Parks and History Association
                              map sold at the Antietam bookstore is plenty large for contour
                              makings, but they are nonetheless omitted. I think somehow the authors
                              of these maps have simply decided that elevation markings are not
                              necessary. This is why the Cope maps are far more useful than any of
                              these others.

                              TRL

                              Message 14 of 30 , May 30, 2007
                                Thanks Todd.

                                BTW the Trailhead Graphics map of Antietam is simply superb...
                                but unfortunately not possible to put in a book.

[...]

                                From my experience, including elevation markings is always a

                                Message 15 of 30 , May 30, 2007
                                  TR,
                                  I couldn't agree more! The P&H map is the base map of the Carman/Cope maps, but they do indeed leave out the elevation markings. Great if you want to know crops types, fences, etc. but not good for understanding the battle. Preist used this map, but the whole thing never appears in the book so if you don't know the field to begin with, you'll be lost like a hiccup in a hurricane. Also he used some odd symbols for artillery, etc.
                                  Tom Clemen

                                  >>> "T. R. Livesey" <tlivesey@...> 05/30/07 1:36 PM >>>

                                  Gerry,

                                  In Murfin's introduction, he states that the maps are the work of
                                  James D. Bowlby, the result of 10 years of field surveys, a revision
                                  of the Cope maps. The base map looks a lot like the Cope maps, but
                                  use terrain symbols much more suitable for smaller-scale reproduction.
                                  There are a few differences: one shows a corn field where the other
                                  shows clover, etc. Inexplicably, the elevation contour lines have
                                  been removed in Murphin's, seriously compromising their usefulness.

                                  Priest uses the "Parks and History Association" map as his base, which
                                  I think more closely follows the Cope maps. It uses symbols that are
                                  similar, but not identical to the Cope maps. I don't know the history
                                  of this map. It too lacks elevation markings.

                                  From my experience, including elevation markings is always a
                                  challenge, especially if you want to zoom out and show a broader
                                  expanse of area. The downside, of course, is that you end up with
                                  maps that look like the way Sears' text reads: there is no way to
                                  really understand how the terrain affects the situation. For example,
                                  in the maps of all three of these books, the reader cannot appreciate
                                  the situation in the 40 acre cornfield: how can the 4RI get `lost'?
                                  How can A.P. Hill come up out of nowhere on Burnside's left? I think
                                  a serious argument can be made that the elevation information is more
                                  important than the ground cover information (woods vs. corn vs.
                                  clover, etc.). But ground cover maps are more aesthetically pleasing
                                  to look at and readers are drawn to them.

                                  The obvious solution to the `busying-up' effect of contour lines is to
                                  use contours of greater intervals: 50 ft. instead of 20 ft. or
                                  whatever. Curiously, the version of the Parks and History Association
                                  map sold at the Antietam bookstore is plenty large for contour
                                  makings, but they are nonetheless omitted. I think somehow the authors
                                  of these maps have simply decided that elevation markings are not
                                  necessary. This is why the Cope maps are far more useful than any of
                                  these others.

                                  TRL

                                  > Dear Todd,
                                  >
                                  > IIRC Murfin used the Cope maps for his book....

                                • James W. Durney
                                  Message 16 of 30 , May 30, 2007
                                    --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "T. R. Livesey" <tlivesey@...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > From my experience, including elevation markings is always a
                                    > challenge, especially if you want to zoom out and show a broader
                                    > expanse of area. The downside, of course, is that you end up with
                                    > maps that look like the way Sears' text reads: there is no way to
                                    > really understand how the terrain affects the situation. For
                                    example,
                                    > in the maps of all three of these books, the reader cannot
                                    appreciate
                                    > the situation in the 40 acre cornfield: how can the 4RI get `lost'?
                                    > How can A.P. Hill come up out of nowhere on Burnside's left? I
                                    think
                                    > a serious argument can be made that the elevation information is
                                    more
                                    > important than the ground cover information (woods vs. corn vs.
                                    > clover, etc.).

                                    I think Anitetam cannot be understood w/o elevation markings. My
                                    first chance to walk the battlefield was a revelation that I will
                                    never forget. Neither Sears, Priest or Harsh had told me how much
                                    elevation impacts the battle.

                                    James
                                  • T. R. Livesey
                                    Message 17 of 30 , May 30, 2007
                                      Murfin's maps also suffer somewhat from the problem that there is no
                                      image of the whole battlefield, making orientation difficult. Since I
                                      owned a copy of the Parks and History Association map before I read
                                      any of these books, I never really had a problem with orientation.

                                      While it is certainly not the 'best' book (at least not for an overall
                                      introduction to the battle), Luvaas & Nelson's "US Army War College
                                      Guide to the Battle of Antietam" is worthy of mention, particularly
                                      for actually visiting the battlefield and related sites at S Mountain
                                      and Harper's Ferry. Definitely the best driving directions for getting
                                      around S Mountain. Whenever I take visitor's to the battlefield, I
                                      always take the route that they suggest: start at the Pry House, then
                                      to the Keedysville road, over the little Antietam, past Pry's Mill,
                                      over the upper bridge, down the Smoketown road into the east woods.
                                      Not only does it take you past fields, roads and houses that look like
                                      they haven't changed much since 1862, but it also gives a good sense
                                      the kind of ground in the area. And, there will be no other tourists
                                      entering the battlefield from that route. At first glance their maps
                                      are somewhat primitive, but they do show contour lines, which in my
                                      opinion makes them far more useful than the maps in the other three.
                                      Cute symbols for corn and clover and stubble are cool but they just
                                      don't work when the map is reduced to book page size. Also
                                      indispensable if you are using the map while visiting the battlefield
                                      is the inclusion of modern features (e.g. roads, structures and tour
                                      stops) so that you can figure out where you are in relation to the
                                      historical features. None of the big three's maps show modern
                                      features, but the Luvaas & Nelson maps do. It's too bad that Luvaas &
                                      Nelson only did little map segments at Antietam to illustrate the
                                      portions of ground they study instead of producing a whole battlefield
                                      map because I think they had the right idea given the limitations of
                                      maps that appear in a book. Their map of the Harper's Ferry area is great.

                                      TRL

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jun 1, 2007
                                        Anyone know anything about this fellow? Thanks.

                                        Stephen Recker
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Jun 1, 2007
                                          Stephen,

                                          What other information do you have about his unit?

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Jun 1, 2007
                                            I seem to remember hearing/reading somewhere that Stonewall Jackson,
                                            some time around the morning of September 15th, wrote Lee from Harper's
                                            Ferry that, "I will meet you in Sharpsburg". Can't find the cite.
                                            Actually can only find Stonewall asking Lee where he should go after
                                            the fall of HF. Any thoughts? Thanks.

                                            Stephen Recker
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Jun 2, 2007
                                              Steve,
                                              1st lt. James E. March mustered in with te regiment, mustered out
                                              10/27/1864 on expiration of service, was "recommissioned from civil
                                              life" 12/1/1864. Offical Army Register, Vol. I, p. 200.

                                              Tom Clemens

                                              Message 22 of 30 , Jun 2, 2007
                                                Steve,
                                                The only message recorded as sent by Jackson to Lee on the 15th was the
                                                announcement of the surrender of HF. In that message, OR, Vol. 19, pt.
                                                1, p. 951, he asks Lee where to send his troops. If there is something
                                                else I don't know of it, and neither does Joe Harsh, who discusses it in
                                                Sounding the Shallows, Chap. 8, section L.

                                                I seem to remember hearing/reading somewhere that Stonewall Jackson,
                                                some time around the morning of September 15th, wrote Lee from Harper's
                                                Ferry that, "I will meet you in Sharpsburg". Can't find the cite.
                                                Actually can only find Stonewall asking Lee where he should go after
                                                the fall of HF. Any thoughts? Thanks.

                                                Stephen Recker
                                              • joseph_pierro
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Jun 23, 2007
                                                  Having just joined the group, I realize I'm coming into this
                                                  discussion a tad late (so please forgive).

                                                  For anyone interested in a broad study of the entire campaign at the
                                                  operational level, I'd recommend Harsh as a good first start.

                                                  If the tactical mechanics of Antietam itself are more your concern,
                                                  I'd recommend either Murfin or Sears.

                                                  Mike Priest's books contain a good deal of "color" from soldiers in
                                                  the ranks; his "big picture" can be a bit difficult to follow if you
                                                  are not already well versed on the basics of the battle.

                                                  The Ezra Carman manuscript is incredibly detailed (imagine Sears or
                                                  Murfin, but on a regimental level-focus instead of brigade or
                                                  division). Wonderful for later study, but not a place I would
                                                  recommend someone to start their investigation. (It's similar in
                                                  that regard to Bigelow's "Campaign of Chancellorsville," if you are
                                                  familiar with that massive study.)

                                                  As for maps, Murfin's are quite good, and are baszed off of the
                                                  original Carman Atlas of Antietam. It's long out of print, but the
                                                  Library of Congress was recently scanned it in in its entirety as
                                                  part of its "American Memory" digital archive. I don;t have the link
                                                  to hand -- I'm writing this from the road-- but if you search Carman
                                                  and Antietam in American Memory, you'll get teh link for the Atlas.
                                                  Best of all, the map reading software--which you can download for
                                                  free--allows you to zoom as tight as you might want in crystal clear
                                                  resolution).

                                                  -- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@...>

                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Oct 6, 2007
                                                    A friend on another list pointed out that Isaac Wistar's memoirs mention
                                                    going to Keedysville after he was wounded and being treated at a
                                                    shopkeeper's house where other 71st PA officers were also treated. The
                                                    shopkeeper, accordnig to Wistar, was killed by a stray shot. has anyone
                                                    ever heard this story before? It is not in O.T. Reilly's book, or other
                                                    accounts I have seen. Any data?