Re: [TalkAntietam] Antietam Tour: Burnside's Attack

  • TR Livesey
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 26, 2001
      Tom S and Jerry,

      I'm glad you find this kind of analysis interesting;
      I do, but there doesn't seem to be anyone else doing
      it.

      I have attempted from time to time to bring together
      some collection of analyses of the battlefield.
      I am currently collecting them under

      http://www.enteract.com/~westwood/topo_study

      They are currently incomplete, unproofread, and
      draft; a great deal of material there now is
      a description of the methods used, which might
      be somewhat tedious. I hope to be filling it
      out over time. I will probably add this issue
      of Union artillery at the Lower Bridge LOS to
      the collection; it was a pretty interesting
      question.

      If anyone else has some burning questions that
      a look at the topography might help, feel free
      to make suggestions.

      TR Livesey
      westwood@...

      NJ Rebel wrote:

      > Tom;
      >
      > I would second that assessment. Todd really has performed a
      > valuable service and I think a book similar to the format used by
      > Frassanito would be a most welcome addition to an understanding
      > of the battle.
      >
      > Your humble servant,
      > Gerry Mayers
      > Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

      > Edward Lee

    • TR Livesey
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 26, 2001

        Can you actually get up to where the guns were? By my reconing, the
        guns were up hill a good 80/100 feet over the current road bed.

        I am assuming the spot of the monument you are referring to is
        near where the modern road (in white) exits the bottom of this
        image:

        http://www.enteract.com/~westwood/talkantietam/base.gif

        TR Livesey
        westwood@...

        Tom Clemens wrote:

        > Bill,
        > McMullin's has a monumnet on the ridge where the Ninth Corps guns were located. It is
        > right along the Burnside Bridge road, the real road, not the NPS road. I'd be happy to
        > show you if I am available.

      • Tom Clemens
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 26, 2001
          TR,
          With permission, yes. The monument is located at the crest of the hill adjacent to the road,
          and yes the guns were well uphill from there. As usual, your maps are excellent.