Re: Major Samuel Hale, CSA

  • Scott Hann
    Message 1 of 8 , May 18, 2007
      Thanks Brian. Now I'm beginning to think that I'm barking up the
      wrong tree. At Antietam, mortally wounded Lieut. Thomas Jefferson
      Spurr of the 15th Massachusetts was attended to by an old school chum
      identified as "Major Hale." The regimental history says that he
      either served in a South Carolina regiment, or was from South
      Carolina. I need to recheck that source. Since Spurr was a graduate
      of Harvard, class of 1858, I believe, I thought that his schoolmate
      attended Harvard as well. When I began my search Major Samuel Hale,
      of Jubal Early's staff, was the best match. Now I think I need to
      retrace my steps and start searching the South Carolina rosters, or
      contact Harvard University. Scott