Re: Major Samuel Hale, CSA

  • Scott Hann
    Message 1 of 8 , May 18, 2007
      Teej, Thanks! Good stuff! Now I'm beginning to think that I might
      have the wrong Major Hale in mind if this one attended UVA. The Major
      Hale I'm looking for is the one that attended to mortally wounded
      Lieut. Thomas Jefferson Spurr of the 15th Massachusetts at Antietam.
      They were old school chums, but I don't know where they met before the
      war. How many other Major Hale's, who fought in the West Woods at
      Antietam, could there be?
    • Scott Hann
      Message 2 of 8 , May 18, 2007
        Thanks Brian. Now I'm beginning to think that I'm barking up the
        wrong tree. At Antietam, mortally wounded Lieut. Thomas Jefferson
        Spurr of the 15th Massachusetts was attended to by an old school chum
        identified as "Major Hale." The regimental history says that he
        either served in a South Carolina regiment, or was from South
        Carolina. I need to recheck that source. Since Spurr was a graduate
        of Harvard, class of 1858, I believe, I thought that his schoolmate
        attended Harvard as well. When I began my search Major Samuel Hale,
        of Jubal Early's staff, was the best match. Now I think I need to
        retrace my steps and start searching the South Carolina rosters, or
        contact Harvard University. Scott