Re: Major Samuel Hale, CSA

  • Brian Downey
    Message 1 of 8 , May 18, 2007
      Hi Scott,

      A quick search finds possible links to (father?) Samuel Augustus Hale
      (b. 1808 NH, to AL 1837) "...editor of the Flag of the Union, a
      Democratic newspaper, published in Tuscaloosa, Alabama". Noted
      Unionist during the War, Republican during reconstruction.

      Found Samuel Hale Jr. listed as only Hale on roster of 42nd Virginia
      Infantry. The "Jr" suggests his father's name :)

      I'll see if I can get to Chapla's "42 Va Infantry" this weekend if
      that would help ...

      In autobio Early says "... my Inspector General, Major Samuel Hale,
      had been mortally wounded at Spottsylvania Court-House on the 12th
      [May, 1864] while serving with the division and acting with great
      gallantry during the disorder which ensued after Ewell's line was
      broken..."

      Another Samuel Hale was Harvard grad, politician and uncle of martyred
      Nathan Hale famous spy of Amer Revolution. Different century, of
      course. Might that connection be confusing the trail?

      Good hunting,
      Brian

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Hann"

    • bdowney@aotw.org
      Message 2 of 8 , May 18, 2007
        Well, never mind. Teej has the straight skinny!

      • Scott Hann
        Message 3 of 8 , May 18, 2007
          Teej, Thanks! Good stuff! Now I'm beginning to think that I might
          have the wrong Major Hale in mind if this one attended UVA. The Major
          Hale I'm looking for is the one that attended to mortally wounded
          Lieut. Thomas Jefferson Spurr of the 15th Massachusetts at Antietam.
          They were old school chums, but I don't know where they met before the
          war. How many other Major Hale's, who fought in the West Woods at
          Antietam, could there be?
        • Scott Hann
          Message 4 of 8 , May 18, 2007
            Thanks Brian. Now I'm beginning to think that I'm barking up the
            wrong tree. At Antietam, mortally wounded Lieut. Thomas Jefferson
            Spurr of the 15th Massachusetts was attended to by an old school chum
            identified as "Major Hale." The regimental history says that he
            either served in a South Carolina regiment, or was from South
            Carolina. I need to recheck that source. Since Spurr was a graduate
            of Harvard, class of 1858, I believe, I thought that his schoolmate
            attended Harvard as well. When I began my search Major Samuel Hale,
            of Jubal Early's staff, was the best match. Now I think I need to
            retrace my steps and start searching the South Carolina rosters, or
            contact Harvard University. Scott