Re: Major Samuel Hale, CSA

  • barringer63
    Message 1 of 8 , May 18, 2007
      Scott Hann wrote:

      > Thank-you very much for the reply, but I saw that image of Hale
      years
      > ago when I borrowed a copy of Early's autobiography. I guess what
      I'm
      > really after falls under genealogy.

      Found this is Krick's "Staff Officers in Gray: A Biographical
      Register of the Staff Officers in the Army of Northern Virginia," by
      Robert E. L. Krick, pg. 145, "Hale, Samuel, Jr. b. Rocky Mount,
      Virginia, Mar. 25, 1839, att. UVA, Capt. Co. K, 42nd Virginia, June
      1861-Apr. 1862. Acting Adjt. 48th Virginia by Apr. 1862, and
      commanded it until WIA at First Winchester. Maj. cs to his uncle,
      Gen. Early, May 1, 1862. AAAG to Early, Aug.-Dec. 1862, Maj. AAIG to
      Early, Jan. 21, 1863. KIA at Spotsylvania, May 12, 1864. bur. Early
      family plot, Spring Hill Cem., Lynchburg. A soldier in the 49th
      Virginia lament Hale's death: 'We loved him.' "

      Teej
    • Brian Downey
      Message 2 of 8 , May 18, 2007
        Hi Scott,

        A quick search finds possible links to (father?) Samuel Augustus Hale
        (b. 1808 NH, to AL 1837) "...editor of the Flag of the Union, a
        Democratic newspaper, published in Tuscaloosa, Alabama". Noted
        Unionist during the War, Republican during reconstruction.

        Found Samuel Hale Jr. listed as only Hale on roster of 42nd Virginia
        Infantry. The "Jr" suggests his father's name :)

        I'll see if I can get to Chapla's "42 Va Infantry" this weekend if
        that would help ...

        In autobio Early says "... my Inspector General, Major Samuel Hale,
        had been mortally wounded at Spottsylvania Court-House on the 12th
        [May, 1864] while serving with the division and acting with great
        gallantry during the disorder which ensued after Ewell's line was
        broken..."

        Another Samuel Hale was Harvard grad, politician and uncle of martyred
        Nathan Hale famous spy of Amer Revolution. Different century, of
        course. Might that connection be confusing the trail?

        Good hunting,
        Brian

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Hann"

      • bdowney@aotw.org
        Message 3 of 8 , May 18, 2007
          Well, never mind. Teej has the straight skinny!

        • Scott Hann
          Message 4 of 8 , May 18, 2007
            Teej, Thanks! Good stuff! Now I'm beginning to think that I might
            have the wrong Major Hale in mind if this one attended UVA. The Major
            Hale I'm looking for is the one that attended to mortally wounded
            Lieut. Thomas Jefferson Spurr of the 15th Massachusetts at Antietam.
            They were old school chums, but I don't know where they met before the
            war. How many other Major Hale's, who fought in the West Woods at
            Antietam, could there be?
          • Scott Hann
            Message 5 of 8 , May 18, 2007
              Thanks Brian. Now I'm beginning to think that I'm barking up the
              wrong tree. At Antietam, mortally wounded Lieut. Thomas Jefferson
              Spurr of the 15th Massachusetts was attended to by an old school chum
              identified as "Major Hale." The regimental history says that he
              either served in a South Carolina regiment, or was from South
              Carolina. I need to recheck that source. Since Spurr was a graduate
              of Harvard, class of 1858, I believe, I thought that his schoolmate
              attended Harvard as well. When I began my search Major Samuel Hale,
              of Jubal Early's staff, was the best match. Now I think I need to
              retrace my steps and start searching the South Carolina rosters, or
              contact Harvard University. Scott