Re: [TalkAntietam] Antietam Tour: Burnside's Attack

    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 23, 2001
      Tom;

      I would second that assessment. Todd really has performed a
      valuable service and I think a book similar to the format used by
      Frassanito would be a most welcome addition to an understanding
      of the battle.

      Your humble servant,
      Gerry Mayers
      Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

      Edward Lee

      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 26, 2001
        Tom S and Jerry,

        I'm glad you find this kind of analysis interesting;
        I do, but there doesn't seem to be anyone else doing
        it.

        I have attempted from time to time to bring together
        some collection of analyses of the battlefield.
        I am currently collecting them under

        http://www.enteract.com/~westwood/topo_study

        They are currently incomplete, unproofread, and
        draft; a great deal of material there now is
        a description of the methods used, which might
        be somewhat tedious. I hope to be filling it
        out over time. I will probably add this issue
        of Union artillery at the Lower Bridge LOS to
        the collection; it was a pretty interesting
        question.

        If anyone else has some burning questions that
        a look at the topography might help, feel free
        to make suggestions.

        TR Livesey
        westwood@...

        NJ Rebel wrote:

        > Tom;
        >
        > I would second that assessment. Todd really has performed a
        > valuable service and I think a book similar to the format used by
        > Frassanito would be a most welcome addition to an understanding
        > of the battle.
        >
        > Your humble servant,
        > Gerry Mayers
        > Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

        > Edward Lee

      • TR Livesey
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 26, 2001

          Can you actually get up to where the guns were? By my reconing, the
          guns were up hill a good 80/100 feet over the current road bed.

          I am assuming the spot of the monument you are referring to is
          near where the modern road (in white) exits the bottom of this
          image:

          http://www.enteract.com/~westwood/talkantietam/base.gif

          TR Livesey
          westwood@...

          Tom Clemens wrote:

          > Bill,
          > McMullin's has a monumnet on the ridge where the Ninth Corps guns were located. It is
          > right along the Burnside Bridge road, the real road, not the NPS road. I'd be happy to
          > show you if I am available.

        • Tom Clemens
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 26, 2001
            TR,
            With permission, yes. The monument is located at the crest of the hill adjacent to the road,
            and yes the guns were well uphill from there. As usual, your maps are excellent.