Major Samuel Hale, CSA

  • Scott Hann
    Message 1 of 8 , May 18, 2007
      Members,

      I'm looking for biographical informaton on Major Samuel Hale, who was
      an officer on the staff of Jubal Early at Antietam. Prior to joining
      his staff, Hale was a member of the 42nd Virginia. Most of all, I'm
      trying to find out where he was educated before the war, and if he had
      any ties to Harvard University, or schools of higher learning in
      Massachusetts.

      Thanks

      Scott D. Hann
    • barringer63
      Message 2 of 8 , May 18, 2007
        Scott Hann wrote:

        > Members,
        >
        > I'm looking for biographical informaton on Major Samuel Hale, who
        was
        > an officer on the staff of Jubal Early at Antietam. Prior to
        joining
        > his staff, Hale was a member of the 42nd Virginia. Most of all, I'm
        > trying to find out where he was educated before the war, and if he
        had
        > any ties to Harvard University, or schools of higher learning in
        > Massachusetts.

        Scott, try this site:

        http://docsouth.unc.edu/fpn/early/ill4.html

        Regards,
        Teej

      • Scott Hann
        Message 3 of 8 , May 18, 2007
          Thank-you very much for the reply, but I saw that image of Hale years
          ago when I borrowed a copy of Early's autobiography. I guess what I'm
          really after falls under genealogy.

          Scott
        • barringer63
          Message 4 of 8 , May 18, 2007
            Scott Hann wrote:

            > Thank-you very much for the reply, but I saw that image of Hale
            years
            > ago when I borrowed a copy of Early's autobiography. I guess what
            I'm
            > really after falls under genealogy.

            Found this is Krick's "Staff Officers in Gray: A Biographical
            Register of the Staff Officers in the Army of Northern Virginia," by
            Robert E. L. Krick, pg. 145, "Hale, Samuel, Jr. b. Rocky Mount,
            Virginia, Mar. 25, 1839, att. UVA, Capt. Co. K, 42nd Virginia, June
            1861-Apr. 1862. Acting Adjt. 48th Virginia by Apr. 1862, and
            commanded it until WIA at First Winchester. Maj. cs to his uncle,
            Gen. Early, May 1, 1862. AAAG to Early, Aug.-Dec. 1862, Maj. AAIG to
            Early, Jan. 21, 1863. KIA at Spotsylvania, May 12, 1864. bur. Early
            family plot, Spring Hill Cem., Lynchburg. A soldier in the 49th
            Virginia lament Hale's death: 'We loved him.' "

            Teej
          • Brian Downey
            Message 5 of 8 , May 18, 2007
              Hi Scott,

              A quick search finds possible links to (father?) Samuel Augustus Hale
              (b. 1808 NH, to AL 1837) "...editor of the Flag of the Union, a
              Democratic newspaper, published in Tuscaloosa, Alabama". Noted
              Unionist during the War, Republican during reconstruction.

              Found Samuel Hale Jr. listed as only Hale on roster of 42nd Virginia
              Infantry. The "Jr" suggests his father's name :)

              I'll see if I can get to Chapla's "42 Va Infantry" this weekend if
              that would help ...

              In autobio Early says "... my Inspector General, Major Samuel Hale,
              had been mortally wounded at Spottsylvania Court-House on the 12th
              [May, 1864] while serving with the division and acting with great
              gallantry during the disorder which ensued after Ewell's line was
              broken..."

              Another Samuel Hale was Harvard grad, politician and uncle of martyred
              Nathan Hale famous spy of Amer Revolution. Different century, of
              course. Might that connection be confusing the trail?

              Good hunting,
              Brian

              --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Hann"

            • bdowney@aotw.org
              Message 6 of 8 , May 18, 2007
                Well, never mind. Teej has the straight skinny!

              • Scott Hann
                Message 7 of 8 , May 18, 2007
                  Teej, Thanks! Good stuff! Now I'm beginning to think that I might
                  have the wrong Major Hale in mind if this one attended UVA. The Major
                  Hale I'm looking for is the one that attended to mortally wounded
                  Lieut. Thomas Jefferson Spurr of the 15th Massachusetts at Antietam.
                  They were old school chums, but I don't know where they met before the
                  war. How many other Major Hale's, who fought in the West Woods at
                  Antietam, could there be?
                • Scott Hann
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 18, 2007
                    Thanks Brian. Now I'm beginning to think that I'm barking up the
                    wrong tree. At Antietam, mortally wounded Lieut. Thomas Jefferson
                    Spurr of the 15th Massachusetts was attended to by an old school chum
                    identified as "Major Hale." The regimental history says that he
                    either served in a South Carolina regiment, or was from South
                    Carolina. I need to recheck that source. Since Spurr was a graduate
                    of Harvard, class of 1858, I believe, I thought that his schoolmate
                    attended Harvard as well. When I began my search Major Samuel Hale,
                    of Jubal Early's staff, was the best match. Now I think I need to
                    retrace my steps and start searching the South Carolina rosters, or
                    contact Harvard University. Scott