Re: [TalkAntietam] Antietam Tour: Burnside's Attack

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 22, 2001
      My sincere thanks to Todd for some great maps. I surely will use them (and any others) in my ongoing study of the action during Burnside's assault. They greatly help in my gaining an understanding of this portion of the battle. I'll pass them along to the Rangers.

      You should (seriously!) consider putting together a book featuring your topographical anyalsis of the battle.

      Tom Shay - Cressona, PA
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 23, 2001
        Tom;

        I would second that assessment. Todd really has performed a
        valuable service and I think a book similar to the format used by
        Frassanito would be a most welcome addition to an understanding
        of the battle.

        Your humble servant,
        Gerry Mayers
        Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

        Edward Lee

        > My sincere thanks to Todd for some great maps. I surely will
        use them (and any others) in my ongoing study of the action
        during Burnside's assault. They greatly help in my gaining an
        understanding of this portion of the battle. I'll pass them along
        to the Rangers.

        > You should (seriously!) consider putting together a book
        featuring your topographical anyalsis of the battle.

        > Tom Shay - Cressona, PA

        Service.

      • TR Livesey
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 26, 2001
          Tom S and Jerry,

          I'm glad you find this kind of analysis interesting;
          I do, but there doesn't seem to be anyone else doing
          it.

          I have attempted from time to time to bring together
          some collection of analyses of the battlefield.
          I am currently collecting them under

          http://www.enteract.com/~westwood/topo_study

          They are currently incomplete, unproofread, and
          draft; a great deal of material there now is
          a description of the methods used, which might
          be somewhat tedious. I hope to be filling it
          out over time. I will probably add this issue
          of Union artillery at the Lower Bridge LOS to
          the collection; it was a pretty interesting
          question.

          If anyone else has some burning questions that
          a look at the topography might help, feel free
          to make suggestions.

          TR Livesey
          westwood@...

          NJ Rebel wrote:

          > Tom;
          >
          > I would second that assessment. Todd really has performed a
          > valuable service and I think a book similar to the format used by
          > Frassanito would be a most welcome addition to an understanding
          > of the battle.
          >
          > Your humble servant,
          > Gerry Mayers
          > Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

          > Edward Lee

        • TR Livesey
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 26, 2001

            Can you actually get up to where the guns were? By my reconing, the
            guns were up hill a good 80/100 feet over the current road bed.

            I am assuming the spot of the monument you are referring to is
            near where the modern road (in white) exits the bottom of this
            image:

            http://www.enteract.com/~westwood/talkantietam/base.gif

            TR Livesey
            westwood@...

            Tom Clemens wrote:

            > Bill,
            > McMullin's has a monumnet on the ridge where the Ninth Corps guns were located. It is
            > right along the Burnside Bridge road, the real road, not the NPS road. I'd be happy to
            > show you if I am available.

          • Tom Clemens
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 26, 2001
              TR,
              With permission, yes. The monument is located at the crest of the hill adjacent to the road,
              and yes the guns were well uphill from there. As usual, your maps are excellent.