Re: [TalkAntietam] Lee rocks

  • Tom Shay
    Message 1 of 24 , May 7, 2007
      Stephen,

      Lee's Rock is one of the stops we'll make during the CWRT tour in two weeks.
      I got my material from THE BIVOUACS OF THE DEAD by Steven Stotelmeyer.
      Check pages 23-24. The rock was at current site of Mrs. Bryant's grave.

      Message 2 of 24 , May 7, 2007
        Speaking of HKD, does anyone know what his signature looks like, or his
        handwriting in general? Thanks.

        -sjr

        Message 3 of 24 , May 7, 2007

          That's great. Thanks.

          BOD mentions O.T.'s book. I'll check it out. Still looking for a photo,
          though.

          Stephen

          Message 4 of 24 , May 7, 2007
            Stephen,

            The museum at Antietam NBP has in one of its cases the original
            pencilled note from HKD to his father announcing the fall of
            Harpers Ferry.... does that help?

            Message 5 of 24 , May 7, 2007
              Does anyone have this book: The Douglas diary;: Student days at
              Franklin and Marshall College, 1856-1858

              It supposedyl has handwriting facsimile endpapers. If anyone has it,
              I'd appreciate seeing what HKD's handwriting looks like. Thanks.

              Stephen

              Message 6 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                That is perfect. Thanks!

                Stephen

                Message 7 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                  Isn't there a picture of that in some book. Possibly Time-Life. I'll
                  look. Thanks.

                  Message 8 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                    Yup, it's in the Voices of the Civil War.

                    tephen

                    On Monday, May 7, 2007, at 09:31 PM, Stephen Recker wrote:

                    > Isn't there a picture of that in some book. Possibly Time-Life. I'll
                    > look. Thanks.
                  • jeffcowvplanning
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                      In my research I found an article in the Middletown Valley Register
                      reporting on the destruction of the rock. I'll see if I can dig it up.

                      Steve
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                        Thanks. That would be great.

                        Stephen

                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 24, 2007
                          Jeff,

                          Did you ever find that? Is there somewhere I can go check this? Thanks.

                          Stephen

                          On Monday, May 7, 2007, at 10:21 PM, jeffcowvplanning wrote:

                          > In my research I found an article in the Middletown Valley Register
                          > reporting on the destruction of the rock. I'll see if I can dig it up.
                          >
                          > Steve
                        • jeffcowvplanning
                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 29, 2007
                            Stephen...

                            It fell off my plate with my recent move.

                            I will check my files this week for you.

                            Steve Bockmiller