Re: [TalkAntietam] Lee rocks

  • Tom Shay
    Message 1 of 24 , May 7, 2007
      Stephen,

      Lee's Rock is one of the stops we'll make during the CWRT tour in two weeks.
      I got my material from THE BIVOUACS OF THE DEAD by Steven Stotelmeyer.
      Check pages 23-24. The rock was at current site of Mrs. Bryant's grave.

      Message 2 of 24 , May 7, 2007

        Thanks for the note. I know it's not there, I'm just trying to see if
        there is a photo of it. Thanks for pointing me to HKD.

        Cheers,
        Stephen

        Message 3 of 24 , May 7, 2007
          Speaking of HKD, does anyone know what his signature looks like, or his
          handwriting in general? Thanks.

          -sjr

          Message 4 of 24 , May 7, 2007

            That's great. Thanks.

            BOD mentions O.T.'s book. I'll check it out. Still looking for a photo,
            though.

            Stephen

            Message 5 of 24 , May 7, 2007
              Stephen,

              The museum at Antietam NBP has in one of its cases the original
              pencilled note from HKD to his father announcing the fall of
              Harpers Ferry.... does that help?

              Message 6 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                Does anyone have this book: The Douglas diary;: Student days at
                Franklin and Marshall College, 1856-1858

                It supposedyl has handwriting facsimile endpapers. If anyone has it,
                I'd appreciate seeing what HKD's handwriting looks like. Thanks.

                Stephen

                Message 7 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                  That is perfect. Thanks!

                  Stephen

                  Message 8 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                    Isn't there a picture of that in some book. Possibly Time-Life. I'll
                    look. Thanks.

                    Message 9 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                      Yup, it's in the Voices of the Civil War.

                      tephen

                      On Monday, May 7, 2007, at 09:31 PM, Stephen Recker wrote:

                      > Isn't there a picture of that in some book. Possibly Time-Life. I'll
                      > look. Thanks.
                    • jeffcowvplanning
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                        In my research I found an article in the Middletown Valley Register
                        reporting on the destruction of the rock. I'll see if I can dig it up.

                        Steve
                        Message 11 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                          Thanks. That would be great.

                          Stephen

                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 24, 2007
                            Jeff,

                            Did you ever find that? Is there somewhere I can go check this? Thanks.

                            Stephen

                            On Monday, May 7, 2007, at 10:21 PM, jeffcowvplanning wrote:

                            > In my research I found an article in the Middletown Valley Register
                            > reporting on the destruction of the rock. I'll see if I can dig it up.
                            >
                            > Steve
                          • jeffcowvplanning
                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 29, 2007
                              Stephen...

                              It fell off my plate with my recent move.

                              I will check my files this week for you.

                              Steve Bockmiller