Re: [TalkAntietam] Lee rocks

    Message 1 of 24 , May 7, 2007
      Stephen,

      Kyde Douglass mentions it, IIRC, in his I Rode with Stonewall. As
      for the location of the rock itself, I do not recall reading that
      it still is in existence....IIRC, it was broken up during the
      construction of the National Cemetery on Cemetery Hill at
      Sharpsburg after the war....

      Message 2 of 24 , May 7, 2007
        Stephen,

        Lee's Rock is one of the stops we'll make during the CWRT tour in two weeks.
        I got my material from THE BIVOUACS OF THE DEAD by Steven Stotelmeyer.
        Check pages 23-24. The rock was at current site of Mrs. Bryant's grave.

        Message 3 of 24 , May 7, 2007

          Thanks for the note. I know it's not there, I'm just trying to see if
          there is a photo of it. Thanks for pointing me to HKD.

          Cheers,
          Stephen

          Message 4 of 24 , May 7, 2007
            Speaking of HKD, does anyone know what his signature looks like, or his
            handwriting in general? Thanks.

            -sjr

            Message 5 of 24 , May 7, 2007

              That's great. Thanks.

              BOD mentions O.T.'s book. I'll check it out. Still looking for a photo,
              though.

              Stephen

              Message 6 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                Stephen,

                The museum at Antietam NBP has in one of its cases the original
                pencilled note from HKD to his father announcing the fall of
                Harpers Ferry.... does that help?

                Message 7 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                  Does anyone have this book: The Douglas diary;: Student days at
                  Franklin and Marshall College, 1856-1858

                  It supposedyl has handwriting facsimile endpapers. If anyone has it,
                  I'd appreciate seeing what HKD's handwriting looks like. Thanks.

                  Stephen

                  Message 8 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                    That is perfect. Thanks!

                    Stephen

                    Message 9 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                      Isn't there a picture of that in some book. Possibly Time-Life. I'll
                      look. Thanks.

                      Message 10 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                        Yup, it's in the Voices of the Civil War.

                        tephen

                        On Monday, May 7, 2007, at 09:31 PM, Stephen Recker wrote:

                        > Isn't there a picture of that in some book. Possibly Time-Life. I'll
                        > look. Thanks.
                      • jeffcowvplanning
                        Message 11 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                          In my research I found an article in the Middletown Valley Register
                          reporting on the destruction of the rock. I'll see if I can dig it up.

                          Steve
                          Message 12 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                            Thanks. That would be great.

                            Stephen

                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 24, 2007
                              Jeff,

                              Did you ever find that? Is there somewhere I can go check this? Thanks.

                              Stephen

                              On Monday, May 7, 2007, at 10:21 PM, jeffcowvplanning wrote:

                              > In my research I found an article in the Middletown Valley Register
                              > reporting on the destruction of the rock. I'll see if I can dig it up.
                              >
                              > Steve
                            • jeffcowvplanning
                              Message 14 of 24 , Oct 29, 2007
                                Stephen...

                                It fell off my plate with my recent move.

                                I will check my files this week for you.

                                Steve Bockmiller