Lee rocks

    Message 1 of 24 , May 7 5:01 PM
      Does anyone know of a photo of Lee's Rock in the Antietam National
      Cemetery? Where is it written about? Thanks.

      Stephen Recker
      Message 2 of 24 , May 7 5:12 PM
        Stephen,

        Kyde Douglass mentions it, IIRC, in his I Rode with Stonewall. As
        for the location of the rock itself, I do not recall reading that
        it still is in existence....IIRC, it was broken up during the
        construction of the National Cemetery on Cemetery Hill at
        Sharpsburg after the war....

        Message 3 of 24 , May 7 5:25 PM
          Stephen,

          Lee's Rock is one of the stops we'll make during the CWRT tour in two weeks.
          I got my material from THE BIVOUACS OF THE DEAD by Steven Stotelmeyer.
          Check pages 23-24. The rock was at current site of Mrs. Bryant's grave.

          Message 4 of 24 , May 7 5:34 PM

            Thanks for the note. I know it's not there, I'm just trying to see if
            there is a photo of it. Thanks for pointing me to HKD.

            Cheers,
            Stephen

            Message 5 of 24 , May 7 6:13 PM
              Speaking of HKD, does anyone know what his signature looks like, or his
              handwriting in general? Thanks.

              -sjr

              Message 6 of 24 , May 7 6:14 PM

                That's great. Thanks.

                BOD mentions O.T.'s book. I'll check it out. Still looking for a photo,
                though.

                Stephen

                Message 7 of 24 , May 7 6:28 PM
                  Stephen,

                  The museum at Antietam NBP has in one of its cases the original
                  pencilled note from HKD to his father announcing the fall of
                  Harpers Ferry.... does that help?

                  Message 8 of 24 , May 7 6:30 PM
                    Does anyone have this book: The Douglas diary;: Student days at
                    Franklin and Marshall College, 1856-1858

                    It supposedyl has handwriting facsimile endpapers. If anyone has it,
                    I'd appreciate seeing what HKD's handwriting looks like. Thanks.

                    Stephen

                    Message 9 of 24 , May 7 6:31 PM
                      That is perfect. Thanks!

                      Stephen

                      Message 10 of 24 , May 7 6:31 PM
                        Isn't there a picture of that in some book. Possibly Time-Life. I'll
                        look. Thanks.

                        Message 11 of 24 , May 7 6:35 PM
                          Yup, it's in the Voices of the Civil War.

                          tephen

                          On Monday, May 7, 2007, at 09:31 PM, Stephen Recker wrote:

                          > Isn't there a picture of that in some book. Possibly Time-Life. I'll
                          > look. Thanks.
                        • jeffcowvplanning
                          Message 12 of 24 , May 7 7:21 PM
                            In my research I found an article in the Middletown Valley Register
                            reporting on the destruction of the rock. I'll see if I can dig it up.

                            Steve
                            Message 13 of 24 , May 7 7:30 PM
                              Thanks. That would be great.

                              Stephen

                              Message 14 of 24 , Oct 24, 2007
                                Jeff,

                                Did you ever find that? Is there somewhere I can go check this? Thanks.

                                Stephen

                                On Monday, May 7, 2007, at 10:21 PM, jeffcowvplanning wrote:

                                > In my research I found an article in the Middletown Valley Register
                                > reporting on the destruction of the rock. I'll see if I can dig it up.
                                >
                                > Steve
                              • jeffcowvplanning
                                Message 15 of 24 , Oct 29, 2007
                                  Stephen...

                                  It fell off my plate with my recent move.

                                  I will check my files this week for you.

                                  Steve Bockmiller