Historic Middletown house for sale

  • jeffcowvplanning
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29, 2007
      Good morning folks.

      Maybe this is too narrow of an audience for direct interest, but
      everyone knows lots of folks of like mind, so I thought I would pass
      the word in case you know anyone interested....

      Stef and I are selling our home and building a new home outside
      Waynesboro, PA. We are offering our circa 1840 home, located on West
      Main Street in Middletown for sale, listing price at $349,900.

      The house has had recent renovations (2003, and 2007) and a recent
      master BR addition (late 2006). Exterior is mostly maintenance free
      (vinyl....german lap wood underneath on the old part). Renovations
      incorporated historic features, but is up to current living
      standards. This was a renovation....not a restoration. The walls
      in all but one room are sheetrock. One bedroom retains plaster walls.

      Info:

      Bedrooms: 3 with a bonus room on 2nd floor that could be made a 4th
      BR. Master BR is 12 x 16 with a walk-in closet and a wall closet,
      and french doors with a killer view of South Mountain.

      Baths: 2. 1st floor partially renovated in 2001. 2nd floor bath
      new in 2006.

      Kitchen: 12.5 x 20, two exposed log walls. Appliances new in 2003.
      Refinished wood floors.

      Parlor: This was the one "museum room". We decorated it to look
      like a period parlor. Walls painted "Oatlands Gold" (NTHP endosed
      color) with hand printed ca. 1840 border documented to the VA
      governor's mansion.

      Lot: 34 x 177. Creek along rear property line. Yard is a bit
      disrupted for next couple of months while owner of adjacent lot
      builds house (it is pretty much in keeping with the streetscape).
      When done, a new asphalt shared driveway on neighbor's property will
      access both their and our rear yard (easements in place), and 3 paved
      parking spaces will be installed behind our house. Since our house
      is right on the sidewalk, we will still have a pretty decent rear
      yard after the parking spaces are installed.

      History: Home of local tanner John Appleman in 1862, a wounded Union
      officer of Co. K, 1st PA Reserves, kin by marriage to Mrs. Appleman,
      briefly recuperated here. Retold by the officer ("The Boys who
      fought at Home" by Henry Minnigh, 1891). Two of Appleman's sons
      became fairly prominent.

      We plan to have a website (www.mainstreetmiddletown.com) up within
      the week, with lots of pix.

      Please let anyone you know who might be interested in a pre-Civil War
      home with a South Mountain story, in nearly new home condition.

      Thanks.
      Steve Bockmiller