Re: [TalkAntietam] 'Expert' battlefield guides

  • richard@rcroker.com
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 27, 2007
      While talking about expert battlefield guides, please allow me to pay tribute to Walter Smith. While researching my book, I hired Walter to guide me for two days. He was a good man, with a marvelous sense of humor and respectful guardian of the field and the men who fought there. He was an encyclopedia. On a later trip I wanted to hook up with him again and was told that he had past away, suffering a heart attack at the visitor center while preparing to take another group on another tour.
      I will never forget those two days. The things I learned from him are the spices that are sprinkled throughout the book -- the very things that made the story of a fight into a story of heroes. The next time you visit Ted Alexander in his office, note the photo of Walter on his board.
      "To Make Men Free" is dedicated in part to him and his memory.
      Thank you, Walter, and thank all of you who guard the memory.

      Richard Croker

      Message 2 of 24 , May 7, 2007
        Does anyone know of a photo of Lee's Rock in the Antietam National
        Cemetery? Where is it written about? Thanks.

        Stephen Recker
        Message 3 of 24 , May 7, 2007
          Stephen,

          Kyde Douglass mentions it, IIRC, in his I Rode with Stonewall. As
          for the location of the rock itself, I do not recall reading that
          it still is in existence....IIRC, it was broken up during the
          construction of the National Cemetery on Cemetery Hill at
          Sharpsburg after the war....

          Message 4 of 24 , May 7, 2007
            Stephen,

            Lee's Rock is one of the stops we'll make during the CWRT tour in two weeks.
            I got my material from THE BIVOUACS OF THE DEAD by Steven Stotelmeyer.
            Check pages 23-24. The rock was at current site of Mrs. Bryant's grave.

            Message 5 of 24 , May 7, 2007

              Thanks for the note. I know it's not there, I'm just trying to see if
              there is a photo of it. Thanks for pointing me to HKD.

              Cheers,
              Stephen

              Message 6 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                Speaking of HKD, does anyone know what his signature looks like, or his
                handwriting in general? Thanks.

                -sjr

                Message 7 of 24 , May 7, 2007

                  That's great. Thanks.

                  BOD mentions O.T.'s book. I'll check it out. Still looking for a photo,
                  though.

                  Stephen

                  Message 8 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                    Stephen,

                    The museum at Antietam NBP has in one of its cases the original
                    pencilled note from HKD to his father announcing the fall of
                    Harpers Ferry.... does that help?

                    Message 9 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                      Does anyone have this book: The Douglas diary;: Student days at
                      Franklin and Marshall College, 1856-1858

                      It supposedyl has handwriting facsimile endpapers. If anyone has it,
                      I'd appreciate seeing what HKD's handwriting looks like. Thanks.

                      Stephen

                      Message 10 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                        That is perfect. Thanks!

                        Stephen

                        Message 11 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                          Isn't there a picture of that in some book. Possibly Time-Life. I'll
                          look. Thanks.

                          Message 12 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                            Yup, it's in the Voices of the Civil War.

                            tephen

                            On Monday, May 7, 2007, at 09:31 PM, Stephen Recker wrote:

                            > Isn't there a picture of that in some book. Possibly Time-Life. I'll
                            > look. Thanks.
                          • jeffcowvplanning
                            Message 13 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                              In my research I found an article in the Middletown Valley Register
                              reporting on the destruction of the rock. I'll see if I can dig it up.

                              Steve
                              Message 14 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                                Thanks. That would be great.

                                Stephen

                                Message 15 of 24 , Oct 24, 2007
                                  Jeff,

                                  Did you ever find that? Is there somewhere I can go check this? Thanks.

                                  Stephen

                                  On Monday, May 7, 2007, at 10:21 PM, jeffcowvplanning wrote:

                                  > In my research I found an article in the Middletown Valley Register
                                  > reporting on the destruction of the rock. I'll see if I can dig it up.
                                  >
                                  > Steve
                                • jeffcowvplanning
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Oct 29, 2007
                                    Stephen...

                                    It fell off my plate with my recent move.

                                    I will check my files this week for you.

                                    Steve Bockmiller