Re: [TalkAntietam] Antietam Tour: Burnside's Attack

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 22, 2001
      My sincere thanks to Todd for some great maps. I surely will use them (and any others) in my ongoing study of the action during Burnside's assault. They greatly help in my gaining an understanding of this portion of the battle. I'll pass them along to the Rangers.

      You should (seriously!) consider putting together a book featuring your topographical anyalsis of the battle.

      Tom Shay - Cressona, PA
    • Tom Clemens
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 22, 2001
        Bill,
        McMullin's has a monumnet on the ridge where the Ninth Corps guns were located. It is
        right along the Burnside Bridge road, the real road, not the NPS road. I'd be happy to
        show you if I am available.

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 23, 2001
          Tom;

          I would second that assessment. Todd really has performed a
          valuable service and I think a book similar to the format used by
          Frassanito would be a most welcome addition to an understanding
          of the battle.

          Your humble servant,
          Gerry Mayers
          Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

          Edward Lee

          > My sincere thanks to Todd for some great maps. I surely will
          use them (and any others) in my ongoing study of the action
          during Burnside's assault. They greatly help in my gaining an
          understanding of this portion of the battle. I'll pass them along
          to the Rangers.

          > You should (seriously!) consider putting together a book
          featuring your topographical anyalsis of the battle.

          > Tom Shay - Cressona, PA

          Service.

        • TR Livesey
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 26, 2001
            Tom S and Jerry,

            I'm glad you find this kind of analysis interesting;
            I do, but there doesn't seem to be anyone else doing
            it.

            I have attempted from time to time to bring together
            some collection of analyses of the battlefield.
            I am currently collecting them under

            http://www.enteract.com/~westwood/topo_study

            They are currently incomplete, unproofread, and
            draft; a great deal of material there now is
            a description of the methods used, which might
            be somewhat tedious. I hope to be filling it
            out over time. I will probably add this issue
            of Union artillery at the Lower Bridge LOS to
            the collection; it was a pretty interesting
            question.

            If anyone else has some burning questions that
            a look at the topography might help, feel free
            to make suggestions.

            TR Livesey
            westwood@...

            NJ Rebel wrote:

            > Tom;
            >
            > I would second that assessment. Todd really has performed a
            > valuable service and I think a book similar to the format used by
            > Frassanito would be a most welcome addition to an understanding
            > of the battle.
            >
            > Your humble servant,
            > Gerry Mayers
            > Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

            > Edward Lee

          • TR Livesey
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 26, 2001

              Can you actually get up to where the guns were? By my reconing, the
              guns were up hill a good 80/100 feet over the current road bed.

              I am assuming the spot of the monument you are referring to is
              near where the modern road (in white) exits the bottom of this
              image:

              http://www.enteract.com/~westwood/talkantietam/base.gif

              TR Livesey
              westwood@...

              Tom Clemens wrote:

              > Bill,
              > McMullin's has a monumnet on the ridge where the Ninth Corps guns were located. It is
              > right along the Burnside Bridge road, the real road, not the NPS road. I'd be happy to
              > show you if I am available.

            • Tom Clemens
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 26, 2001
                TR,
                With permission, yes. The monument is located at the crest of the hill adjacent to the road,
                and yes the guns were well uphill from there. As usual, your maps are excellent.