Re: [TalkAntietam] 'Expert' battlefield guides

    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 27, 2007
      Maybe he moved??

      God. --Anonymous
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: <RoteBaron@...>
      To: <TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, April 27, 2007 11:51 AM
      Subject: Re: [TalkAntietam] 'Expert' battlefield guides

    • richard@rcroker.com
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 27, 2007
        While talking about expert battlefield guides, please allow me to pay tribute to Walter Smith. While researching my book, I hired Walter to guide me for two days. He was a good man, with a marvelous sense of humor and respectful guardian of the field and the men who fought there. He was an encyclopedia. On a later trip I wanted to hook up with him again and was told that he had past away, suffering a heart attack at the visitor center while preparing to take another group on another tour.
        I will never forget those two days. The things I learned from him are the spices that are sprinkled throughout the book -- the very things that made the story of a fight into a story of heroes. The next time you visit Ted Alexander in his office, note the photo of Walter on his board.
        "To Make Men Free" is dedicated in part to him and his memory.
        Thank you, Walter, and thank all of you who guard the memory.

        Richard Croker

        Message 3 of 24 , May 7, 2007
          Does anyone know of a photo of Lee's Rock in the Antietam National
          Cemetery? Where is it written about? Thanks.

          Stephen Recker
          Message 4 of 24 , May 7, 2007
            Stephen,

            Kyde Douglass mentions it, IIRC, in his I Rode with Stonewall. As
            for the location of the rock itself, I do not recall reading that
            it still is in existence....IIRC, it was broken up during the
            construction of the National Cemetery on Cemetery Hill at
            Sharpsburg after the war....

            Message 5 of 24 , May 7, 2007
              Stephen,

              Lee's Rock is one of the stops we'll make during the CWRT tour in two weeks.
              I got my material from THE BIVOUACS OF THE DEAD by Steven Stotelmeyer.
              Check pages 23-24. The rock was at current site of Mrs. Bryant's grave.

              Message 6 of 24 , May 7, 2007

                Thanks for the note. I know it's not there, I'm just trying to see if
                there is a photo of it. Thanks for pointing me to HKD.

                Cheers,
                Stephen

                Message 7 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                  Speaking of HKD, does anyone know what his signature looks like, or his
                  handwriting in general? Thanks.

                  -sjr

                  Message 8 of 24 , May 7, 2007

                    That's great. Thanks.

                    BOD mentions O.T.'s book. I'll check it out. Still looking for a photo,
                    though.

                    Stephen

                    Message 9 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                      Stephen,

                      The museum at Antietam NBP has in one of its cases the original
                      pencilled note from HKD to his father announcing the fall of
                      Harpers Ferry.... does that help?

                      Message 10 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                        Does anyone have this book: The Douglas diary;: Student days at
                        Franklin and Marshall College, 1856-1858

                        It supposedyl has handwriting facsimile endpapers. If anyone has it,
                        I'd appreciate seeing what HKD's handwriting looks like. Thanks.

                        Stephen

                        Message 11 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                          That is perfect. Thanks!

                          Stephen

                          Message 12 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                            Isn't there a picture of that in some book. Possibly Time-Life. I'll
                            look. Thanks.

                            Message 13 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                              Yup, it's in the Voices of the Civil War.

                              tephen

                              On Monday, May 7, 2007, at 09:31 PM, Stephen Recker wrote:

                              > Isn't there a picture of that in some book. Possibly Time-Life. I'll
                              > look. Thanks.
                            • jeffcowvplanning
                              Message 14 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                                In my research I found an article in the Middletown Valley Register
                                reporting on the destruction of the rock. I'll see if I can dig it up.

                                Steve
                                Message 15 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                                  Thanks. That would be great.

                                  Stephen

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Oct 24, 2007
                                    Jeff,

                                    Did you ever find that? Is there somewhere I can go check this? Thanks.

                                    Stephen

                                    On Monday, May 7, 2007, at 10:21 PM, jeffcowvplanning wrote:

                                    > In my research I found an article in the Middletown Valley Register
                                    > reporting on the destruction of the rock. I'll see if I can dig it up.
                                    >
                                    > Steve
                                  • jeffcowvplanning
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Oct 29, 2007
                                      Stephen...

                                      It fell off my plate with my recent move.

                                      I will check my files this week for you.

                                      Steve Bockmiller