Re: [TalkAntietam] 'Expert' battlefield guides

  • RoteBaron@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 27, 2007
      Does John Michael Priest still give tours of Antietam?

      I used to see him often on the battlefield. He also used to be a member of several online groups, but I haven't read any postings from him in a long time.

      From: Stephen Recker <recker@...>
      Tom,

      On Wednesday, April 25, 2007, at 11:50 AM, RoteBaron@... wrote:

      > Be assured that use of the term 'expert' was not my choice. It was
      > used in the CWRT's original emails, but note that I did not use ii
      > within the email to this group.

      You need not shy from the term. You are seen in the group as one. This
      reminds me of a topic we covered about a year ago as to what makes
      someone an 'historian'. I think we also discussed why people use the
      word 'an' before the word 'historian'.

      > There will be experts along for the trip, including several Gettysburg
      > guides and Stephen Recker (head of Antietam guides).

      Calling me an expert, now you are pushing it. <g>

      BTW, there is no longer a position of 'director of the guides'. We have
      folded most of my duties into the bookstore, led by Bob Casey and the
      other good folks at WMIA. You can now book a tour right there in the
      book store. The guides retain a three-person advisory committee (Mike
      Gamble, Jeff Driscoll and myself). Ted Alexander and I still handle
      recruitment, so if you want to be a guide, let us know.

      Cheers,
      Stephen Recker
      Antietam Battlefield Guides

      P.O. Box 705
      Sharpsburg, MD 21782
      240-217-3664
      800-417-9596

      http://www.virtualantietam.com
      http://www.virtualgettysburg.com
      http://www.anothersoftwaremiracle.com

      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 27, 2007
        Maybe he moved??

        God. --Anonymous

      • richard@rcroker.com
        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 27, 2007
          While talking about expert battlefield guides, please allow me to pay tribute to Walter Smith. While researching my book, I hired Walter to guide me for two days. He was a good man, with a marvelous sense of humor and respectful guardian of the field and the men who fought there. He was an encyclopedia. On a later trip I wanted to hook up with him again and was told that he had past away, suffering a heart attack at the visitor center while preparing to take another group on another tour.
          I will never forget those two days. The things I learned from him are the spices that are sprinkled throughout the book -- the very things that made the story of a fight into a story of heroes. The next time you visit Ted Alexander in his office, note the photo of Walter on his board.
          "To Make Men Free" is dedicated in part to him and his memory.
          Thank you, Walter, and thank all of you who guard the memory.

          Richard Croker

          Message 4 of 24 , May 7 5:01 PM
            Does anyone know of a photo of Lee's Rock in the Antietam National
            Cemetery? Where is it written about? Thanks.

            Stephen Recker
            Message 5 of 24 , May 7 5:12 PM
              Stephen,

              Kyde Douglass mentions it, IIRC, in his I Rode with Stonewall. As
              for the location of the rock itself, I do not recall reading that
              it still is in existence....IIRC, it was broken up during the
              construction of the National Cemetery on Cemetery Hill at
              Sharpsburg after the war....

              Message 6 of 24 , May 7 5:25 PM
                Stephen,

                Lee's Rock is one of the stops we'll make during the CWRT tour in two weeks.
                I got my material from THE BIVOUACS OF THE DEAD by Steven Stotelmeyer.
                Check pages 23-24. The rock was at current site of Mrs. Bryant's grave.

                Message 7 of 24 , May 7 5:34 PM

                  Thanks for the note. I know it's not there, I'm just trying to see if
                  there is a photo of it. Thanks for pointing me to HKD.

                  Cheers,
                  Stephen

                  Message 8 of 24 , May 7 6:13 PM
                    Speaking of HKD, does anyone know what his signature looks like, or his
                    handwriting in general? Thanks.

                    -sjr

                    Message 9 of 24 , May 7 6:14 PM

                      That's great. Thanks.

                      BOD mentions O.T.'s book. I'll check it out. Still looking for a photo,
                      though.

                      Stephen

                      Message 10 of 24 , May 7 6:28 PM
                        Stephen,

                        The museum at Antietam NBP has in one of its cases the original
                        pencilled note from HKD to his father announcing the fall of
                        Harpers Ferry.... does that help?

                        Message 11 of 24 , May 7 6:30 PM
                          Does anyone have this book: The Douglas diary;: Student days at
                          Franklin and Marshall College, 1856-1858

                          It supposedyl has handwriting facsimile endpapers. If anyone has it,
                          I'd appreciate seeing what HKD's handwriting looks like. Thanks.

                          Stephen

                          Message 12 of 24 , May 7 6:31 PM
                            That is perfect. Thanks!

                            Stephen

                            Message 13 of 24 , May 7 6:31 PM
                              Isn't there a picture of that in some book. Possibly Time-Life. I'll
                              look. Thanks.

                              Message 14 of 24 , May 7 6:35 PM
                                Yup, it's in the Voices of the Civil War.

                                tephen

                                On Monday, May 7, 2007, at 09:31 PM, Stephen Recker wrote:

                                > Isn't there a picture of that in some book. Possibly Time-Life. I'll
                                > look. Thanks.
                              • jeffcowvplanning
                                Message 15 of 24 , May 7 7:21 PM
                                  In my research I found an article in the Middletown Valley Register
                                  reporting on the destruction of the rock. I'll see if I can dig it up.

                                  Steve
                                  Message 16 of 24 , May 7 7:30 PM
                                    Thanks. That would be great.

                                    Stephen

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Oct 24, 2007
                                      Jeff,

                                      Did you ever find that? Is there somewhere I can go check this? Thanks.

                                      Stephen

                                      On Monday, May 7, 2007, at 10:21 PM, jeffcowvplanning wrote:

                                      > In my research I found an article in the Middletown Valley Register
                                      > reporting on the destruction of the rock. I'll see if I can dig it up.
                                      >
                                      > Steve
                                    • jeffcowvplanning
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Oct 29, 2007
                                        Stephen...

                                        It fell off my plate with my recent move.

                                        I will check my files this week for you.

                                        Steve Bockmiller