Re: [TalkAntietam] 'Expert' battlefield guides

    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 27, 2007
      Thanks for the update Stephen!

      God. --Anonymous
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Stephen Recker" <recker@...>
      To: <TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, April 27, 2007 9:51 AM
      Subject: [TalkAntietam] 'Expert' battlefield guides

    • RoteBaron@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 27, 2007
        Does John Michael Priest still give tours of Antietam?

        I used to see him often on the battlefield. He also used to be a member of several online groups, but I haven't read any postings from him in a long time.

        From: Stephen Recker <recker@...>
        Tom,

        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 27, 2007
          Maybe he moved??

          God. --Anonymous

        • richard@rcroker.com
          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 27, 2007
            While talking about expert battlefield guides, please allow me to pay tribute to Walter Smith. While researching my book, I hired Walter to guide me for two days. He was a good man, with a marvelous sense of humor and respectful guardian of the field and the men who fought there. He was an encyclopedia. On a later trip I wanted to hook up with him again and was told that he had past away, suffering a heart attack at the visitor center while preparing to take another group on another tour.
            I will never forget those two days. The things I learned from him are the spices that are sprinkled throughout the book -- the very things that made the story of a fight into a story of heroes. The next time you visit Ted Alexander in his office, note the photo of Walter on his board.
            "To Make Men Free" is dedicated in part to him and his memory.
            Thank you, Walter, and thank all of you who guard the memory.

            Richard Croker

            Message 5 of 24 , May 7, 2007
              Does anyone know of a photo of Lee's Rock in the Antietam National
              Cemetery? Where is it written about? Thanks.

              Stephen Recker
              Message 6 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                Stephen,

                Kyde Douglass mentions it, IIRC, in his I Rode with Stonewall. As
                for the location of the rock itself, I do not recall reading that
                it still is in existence....IIRC, it was broken up during the
                construction of the National Cemetery on Cemetery Hill at
                Sharpsburg after the war....

                Message 7 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                  Stephen,

                  Lee's Rock is one of the stops we'll make during the CWRT tour in two weeks.
                  I got my material from THE BIVOUACS OF THE DEAD by Steven Stotelmeyer.
                  Check pages 23-24. The rock was at current site of Mrs. Bryant's grave.

                  Message 8 of 24 , May 7, 2007

                    Thanks for the note. I know it's not there, I'm just trying to see if
                    there is a photo of it. Thanks for pointing me to HKD.

                    Cheers,
                    Stephen

                    Message 9 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                      Speaking of HKD, does anyone know what his signature looks like, or his
                      handwriting in general? Thanks.

                      -sjr

                      Message 10 of 24 , May 7, 2007

                        That's great. Thanks.

                        BOD mentions O.T.'s book. I'll check it out. Still looking for a photo,
                        though.

                        Stephen

                        Message 11 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                          Stephen,

                          The museum at Antietam NBP has in one of its cases the original
                          pencilled note from HKD to his father announcing the fall of
                          Harpers Ferry.... does that help?

                          Message 12 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                            Does anyone have this book: The Douglas diary;: Student days at
                            Franklin and Marshall College, 1856-1858

                            It supposedyl has handwriting facsimile endpapers. If anyone has it,
                            I'd appreciate seeing what HKD's handwriting looks like. Thanks.

                            Stephen

                            Message 13 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                              That is perfect. Thanks!

                              Stephen

                              Message 14 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                                Isn't there a picture of that in some book. Possibly Time-Life. I'll
                                look. Thanks.

                                Message 15 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                                  Yup, it's in the Voices of the Civil War.

                                  tephen

                                  On Monday, May 7, 2007, at 09:31 PM, Stephen Recker wrote:

                                  > Isn't there a picture of that in some book. Possibly Time-Life. I'll
                                  > look. Thanks.
                                • jeffcowvplanning
                                  Message 16 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                                    In my research I found an article in the Middletown Valley Register
                                    reporting on the destruction of the rock. I'll see if I can dig it up.

                                    Steve
                                    Message 17 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                                      Thanks. That would be great.

                                      Stephen

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Oct 24, 2007
                                        Jeff,

                                        Did you ever find that? Is there somewhere I can go check this? Thanks.

                                        Stephen

                                        On Monday, May 7, 2007, at 10:21 PM, jeffcowvplanning wrote:

                                        > In my research I found an article in the Middletown Valley Register
                                        > reporting on the destruction of the rock. I'll see if I can dig it up.
                                        >
                                        > Steve
                                      • jeffcowvplanning
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Oct 29, 2007
                                          Stephen...

                                          It fell off my plate with my recent move.

                                          I will check my files this week for you.

                                          Steve Bockmiller