Re: [TalkAntietam] Gettysburg CWRT trip to Antietam on May 19

  • RoteBaron@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 25, 2007

      Be assured that use of the term 'expert' was not my choice. It was used in the CWRT's original emails, but note that I did not use ii within the email to this group.

      I know quite a few people in other roundtables and have spent time hiking Antietam with many of them. They welcome people such as myself who are willing to prepare and present topics on Antietam. Based on the amount of preparation required, I guarantee that I don't do it for the money!

      There will be experts along for the trip, including several Gettysburg guides and Stephen Recker (head of Antietam guides).

      For the Gettysburg CWRT trip, I plan to donate half my fee to a fund we're trying to get underway. It will seek to replace General Nagle's sword on his statue at Antietam.

      From: "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@...>
      Tom,

      Congrats on being considered an "expert" on Antietam....

      How did you manage to become so well known and contacted by CWRT
      groups? A response privately would be acceptable....

      God. --Anonymous
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 25, 2007
        Tom --

        If you ain't an expert -- no body is!

        Richard

        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 27, 2007

          On Wednesday, April 25, 2007, at 11:50 AM, RoteBaron@... wrote:

          > Be assured that use of the term 'expert' was not my choice. It was
          > used in the CWRT's original emails, but note that I did not use ii
          > within the email to this group.

          You need not shy from the term. You are seen in the group as one. This
          reminds me of a topic we covered about a year ago as to what makes
          someone an 'historian'. I think we also discussed why people use the
          word 'an' before the word 'historian'.

          > There will be experts along for the trip, including several Gettysburg
          > guides and Stephen Recker (head of Antietam guides).

          Calling me an expert, now you are pushing it. <g>

          BTW, there is no longer a position of 'director of the guides'. We have
          folded most of my duties into the bookstore, led by Bob Casey and the
          other good folks at WMIA. You can now book a tour right there in the
          book store. The guides retain a three-person advisory committee (Mike
          Gamble, Jeff Driscoll and myself). Ted Alexander and I still handle
          recruitment, so if you want to be a guide, let us know.

          Cheers,
          Stephen Recker
          Antietam Battlefield Guides

          P.O. Box 705
          Sharpsburg, MD 21782
          240-217-3664
          800-417-9596

          http://www.virtualantietam.com
          http://www.virtualgettysburg.com
          http://www.anothersoftwaremiracle.com
          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 27, 2007
            Thanks for the update Stephen!

            God. --Anonymous

            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 27, 2007
              Does John Michael Priest still give tours of Antietam?

              I used to see him often on the battlefield. He also used to be a member of several online groups, but I haven't read any postings from him in a long time.

              From: Stephen Recker <recker@...>
              Tom,

              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 27, 2007
                Maybe he moved??

                God. --Anonymous

              • richard@rcroker.com
                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 27, 2007
                  While talking about expert battlefield guides, please allow me to pay tribute to Walter Smith. While researching my book, I hired Walter to guide me for two days. He was a good man, with a marvelous sense of humor and respectful guardian of the field and the men who fought there. He was an encyclopedia. On a later trip I wanted to hook up with him again and was told that he had past away, suffering a heart attack at the visitor center while preparing to take another group on another tour.
                  I will never forget those two days. The things I learned from him are the spices that are sprinkled throughout the book -- the very things that made the story of a fight into a story of heroes. The next time you visit Ted Alexander in his office, note the photo of Walter on his board.
                  "To Make Men Free" is dedicated in part to him and his memory.
                  Thank you, Walter, and thank all of you who guard the memory.

                  Richard Croker

                  Message 8 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                    Does anyone know of a photo of Lee's Rock in the Antietam National
                    Cemetery? Where is it written about? Thanks.

                    Stephen Recker
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                      Stephen,

                      Kyde Douglass mentions it, IIRC, in his I Rode with Stonewall. As
                      for the location of the rock itself, I do not recall reading that
                      it still is in existence....IIRC, it was broken up during the
                      construction of the National Cemetery on Cemetery Hill at
                      Sharpsburg after the war....

                      Message 10 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                        Stephen,

                        Lee's Rock is one of the stops we'll make during the CWRT tour in two weeks.
                        I got my material from THE BIVOUACS OF THE DEAD by Steven Stotelmeyer.
                        Check pages 23-24. The rock was at current site of Mrs. Bryant's grave.

                        Message 11 of 24 , May 7, 2007

                          Thanks for the note. I know it's not there, I'm just trying to see if
                          there is a photo of it. Thanks for pointing me to HKD.

                          Cheers,
                          Stephen

                          Message 12 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                            Speaking of HKD, does anyone know what his signature looks like, or his
                            handwriting in general? Thanks.

                            -sjr

                            Message 13 of 24 , May 7, 2007

                              That's great. Thanks.

                              BOD mentions O.T.'s book. I'll check it out. Still looking for a photo,
                              though.

                              Stephen

                              Message 14 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                                Stephen,

                                The museum at Antietam NBP has in one of its cases the original
                                pencilled note from HKD to his father announcing the fall of
                                Harpers Ferry.... does that help?

                                Message 15 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                                  Does anyone have this book: The Douglas diary;: Student days at
                                  Franklin and Marshall College, 1856-1858

                                  It supposedyl has handwriting facsimile endpapers. If anyone has it,
                                  I'd appreciate seeing what HKD's handwriting looks like. Thanks.

                                  Stephen

                                  Message 16 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                                    That is perfect. Thanks!

                                    Stephen

                                    Message 17 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                                      Isn't there a picture of that in some book. Possibly Time-Life. I'll
                                      look. Thanks.

                                      Message 18 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                                        Yup, it's in the Voices of the Civil War.

                                        tephen

                                        On Monday, May 7, 2007, at 09:31 PM, Stephen Recker wrote:

                                        > Isn't there a picture of that in some book. Possibly Time-Life. I'll
                                        > look. Thanks.
                                      • jeffcowvplanning
                                        Message 19 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                                          In my research I found an article in the Middletown Valley Register
                                          reporting on the destruction of the rock. I'll see if I can dig it up.

                                          Steve
                                          Message 20 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                                            Thanks. That would be great.

                                            Stephen

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Oct 24, 2007
                                              Jeff,

                                              Did you ever find that? Is there somewhere I can go check this? Thanks.

                                              Stephen

                                              On Monday, May 7, 2007, at 10:21 PM, jeffcowvplanning wrote:

                                              > In my research I found an article in the Middletown Valley Register
                                              > reporting on the destruction of the rock. I'll see if I can dig it up.
                                              >
                                              > Steve
                                            • jeffcowvplanning
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Oct 29, 2007
                                                Stephen...

                                                It fell off my plate with my recent move.

                                                I will check my files this week for you.

                                                Steve Bockmiller