Gettysburg CWRT trip to Antietam on May 19

  • RoteBaron@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 25, 2007
      The Gettysburg Civil War Roundtable is sponsoring a field trip to Antietam National Battlefield on Saturday May 19th.

      This trip departs from Gettysburg at 7:30 AM and returns by 5:30 PM. I believe there may be a few seats on the bus [available on a first come first serve basis].

      The cost of this full day tour, which includes lunch, is $60 for roundtable members and $80 for non-members. Non-members will be automatically enrolled in the Gettysburg CWRT with all rights and privledges

      Contact me or the Gettysburg CWRT if interested.

      Tom Shay - Cressona, PA.

      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 25, 2007

        Congrats on being considered an "expert" on Antietam....

        How did you manage to become so well known and contacted by CWRT
        groups? A response privately would be acceptable....

        God. --Anonymous

      • RoteBaron@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 25, 2007

          Be assured that use of the term 'expert' was not my choice. It was used in the CWRT's original emails, but note that I did not use ii within the email to this group.

          I know quite a few people in other roundtables and have spent time hiking Antietam with many of them. They welcome people such as myself who are willing to prepare and present topics on Antietam. Based on the amount of preparation required, I guarantee that I don't do it for the money!

          There will be experts along for the trip, including several Gettysburg guides and Stephen Recker (head of Antietam guides).

          For the Gettysburg CWRT trip, I plan to donate half my fee to a fund we're trying to get underway. It will seek to replace General Nagle's sword on his statue at Antietam.

        • richard@rcroker.com
          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 25, 2007
            Tom --

            If you ain't an expert -- no body is!

            Richard

            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 27, 2007

              On Wednesday, April 25, 2007, at 11:50 AM, RoteBaron@... wrote:

              > Be assured that use of the term 'expert' was not my choice. It was
              > used in the CWRT's original emails, but note that I did not use ii
              > within the email to this group.

              You need not shy from the term. You are seen in the group as one. This
              reminds me of a topic we covered about a year ago as to what makes
              someone an 'historian'. I think we also discussed why people use the
              word 'an' before the word 'historian'.

              > There will be experts along for the trip, including several Gettysburg
              > guides and Stephen Recker (head of Antietam guides).

              Calling me an expert, now you are pushing it. <g>

              BTW, there is no longer a position of 'director of the guides'. We have
              folded most of my duties into the bookstore, led by Bob Casey and the
              other good folks at WMIA. You can now book a tour right there in the
              book store. The guides retain a three-person advisory committee (Mike
              Gamble, Jeff Driscoll and myself). Ted Alexander and I still handle
              recruitment, so if you want to be a guide, let us know.

              Cheers,
              Stephen Recker
              Antietam Battlefield Guides

              P.O. Box 705
              Sharpsburg, MD 21782
              240-217-3664
              800-417-9596

              http://www.virtualantietam.com
              http://www.virtualgettysburg.com
              http://www.anothersoftwaremiracle.com
              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 27, 2007
                Thanks for the update Stephen!

                God. --Anonymous

                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 27, 2007
                  Does John Michael Priest still give tours of Antietam?

                  I used to see him often on the battlefield. He also used to be a member of several online groups, but I haven't read any postings from him in a long time.

                  From: Stephen Recker <recker@...>
                  Tom,

                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 27, 2007
                    Maybe he moved??

                    God. --Anonymous

                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 27, 2007
                      While talking about expert battlefield guides, please allow me to pay tribute to Walter Smith. While researching my book, I hired Walter to guide me for two days. He was a good man, with a marvelous sense of humor and respectful guardian of the field and the men who fought there. He was an encyclopedia. On a later trip I wanted to hook up with him again and was told that he had past away, suffering a heart attack at the visitor center while preparing to take another group on another tour.
                      I will never forget those two days. The things I learned from him are the spices that are sprinkled throughout the book -- the very things that made the story of a fight into a story of heroes. The next time you visit Ted Alexander in his office, note the photo of Walter on his board.
                      "To Make Men Free" is dedicated in part to him and his memory.
                      Thank you, Walter, and thank all of you who guard the memory.

                      Richard Croker

                      Message 10 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                        Does anyone know of a photo of Lee's Rock in the Antietam National
                        Cemetery? Where is it written about? Thanks.

                        Stephen Recker
                        Message 11 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                          Stephen,

                          Kyde Douglass mentions it, IIRC, in his I Rode with Stonewall. As
                          for the location of the rock itself, I do not recall reading that
                          it still is in existence....IIRC, it was broken up during the
                          construction of the National Cemetery on Cemetery Hill at
                          Sharpsburg after the war....

                          Message 12 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                            Stephen,

                            Lee's Rock is one of the stops we'll make during the CWRT tour in two weeks.
                            I got my material from THE BIVOUACS OF THE DEAD by Steven Stotelmeyer.
                            Check pages 23-24. The rock was at current site of Mrs. Bryant's grave.

                            Message 13 of 24 , May 7, 2007

                              Thanks for the note. I know it's not there, I'm just trying to see if
                              there is a photo of it. Thanks for pointing me to HKD.

                              Cheers,
                              Stephen

                              Message 14 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                                Speaking of HKD, does anyone know what his signature looks like, or his
                                handwriting in general? Thanks.

                                -sjr

                                Message 15 of 24 , May 7, 2007

                                  That's great. Thanks.

                                  BOD mentions O.T.'s book. I'll check it out. Still looking for a photo,
                                  though.

                                  Stephen

                                  Message 16 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                                    Stephen,

                                    The museum at Antietam NBP has in one of its cases the original
                                    pencilled note from HKD to his father announcing the fall of
                                    Harpers Ferry.... does that help?

                                    Message 17 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                                      Does anyone have this book: The Douglas diary;: Student days at
                                      Franklin and Marshall College, 1856-1858

                                      It supposedyl has handwriting facsimile endpapers. If anyone has it,
                                      I'd appreciate seeing what HKD's handwriting looks like. Thanks.

                                      Stephen

                                      Message 18 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                                        That is perfect. Thanks!

                                        Stephen

                                        Message 19 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                                          Isn't there a picture of that in some book. Possibly Time-Life. I'll
                                          look. Thanks.

                                          Message 20 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                                            Yup, it's in the Voices of the Civil War.

                                            tephen

                                            On Monday, May 7, 2007, at 09:31 PM, Stephen Recker wrote:

                                            > Isn't there a picture of that in some book. Possibly Time-Life. I'll
                                            > look. Thanks.
                                          • jeffcowvplanning
                                            Message 21 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                                              In my research I found an article in the Middletown Valley Register
                                              reporting on the destruction of the rock. I'll see if I can dig it up.

                                              Steve
                                              Message 22 of 24 , May 7, 2007
                                                Thanks. That would be great.

                                                Stephen

                                                Message 23 of 24 , Oct 24, 2007
                                                  Jeff,

                                                  Did you ever find that? Is there somewhere I can go check this? Thanks.

                                                  Stephen

                                                  On Monday, May 7, 2007, at 10:21 PM, jeffcowvplanning wrote:

                                                  > In my research I found an article in the Middletown Valley Register
                                                  > reporting on the destruction of the rock. I'll see if I can dig it up.
                                                  >
                                                  > Steve
                                                • jeffcowvplanning
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Oct 29, 2007
                                                    Stephen...

                                                    It fell off my plate with my recent move.

                                                    I will check my files this week for you.

                                                    Steve Bockmiller