Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: South Mountain

    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 14 1:09 PM
      It would have been more useful to the the Union thant the COnfederates, but EPA's account is the only real solid mention of it. It was uded i nthe Gettysburg by Union signalman, including Wm. J. L. Nicodemus.

      >>> "Adam Zimmerli" <azimmerli@...> 04/13/07 6:56 PM >>>
      According to Edward Porter Alexander:
      "I was riding with Gen. Lee when we came within a mile or two of the
      fight [for Turner's Gap] & some one discovered a small party of
      people on what seemed to be an old tower on the mountain top [the
      Washington Monument] about a mile north of the pass. There were some
      indications that it might be a signal party of the enemy sending
      messages of our approach, &, itching to have some personal role in
      a fight, I suggested to Gen. Lee that I might take a few men & go
      recapture it. He approved & had eight men sent with me from some
      brigade, I forget whose. I got in cover of some woods & then struck
      up the mountain side &, after a hard, hot climb, at last got up &
      around the tower (which seemed to have been built originally for a
      windmill) before the party on it knew of my approach. But they were
      plainly all natives of the vicinity attracted by the firing and up
      there to see the battle. I was quite disgusted at the peaceful
      character of my capture & left them after seeing that the position
      gave no valuable view of the enemy's ground & I pushed on to the
      front & right, towards the firing." Pages 142-143, Fighting for the
      Confederacy.

      According to the footnotes of the book, the tower was actually
      effectively in ruins by 1862. If EPA didn't think it gave a good
      view of the federals, could the same be said of the confederate army
      moving out of Boonsboro? I wonder, since it would be something one
      would assume he would think about.

      Anybody know where the 8 men came from?

      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 19 6:00 PM
        Does anyone know of any writings regarding trouble citizens of Maryland
        got into for joining Lee's army during the Maryland Campaign? Thanks.

        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 19 6:08 PM
          Stephen,

          Not sure, but there is an interesting account of a citizen of
          Pennsylvania who left the state to try to jine up with Lee's Army
          during the same campaign, was captured and then when he returned home
          to his home town under guard as a prisoner of war, it got dicey for a
          bit.

          Scott Mingus Sr. might be able to give you the story if you contact
          him at scottmingus@...

          God. --Anonymous

          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 19 6:40 PM
            Thanks. maybe it's in his new book.

            Stephen

            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 20 2:08 AM
              Stephen,

              Yes, it is.

              God. --Anonymous

            • colliszouave@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 17 3:55 PM
                Besides John Hoptak's book and the work of Carman, edited and annotated by Clemens, what others are "must-haves" re: South Mountain?

                Respectfully,

                Mike Peters
                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 17 5:51 PM
                  Mike;

                  Although it does have many errors in it, I would still recommend J M
                  Priest's book "Before Antietam" as a good guide for South Mountain fighting.
                  Also, the War College Guide to Antietam has excellent section on South
                  Mountain, but I understand (IIRC???) it might be out of print.

                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 17 6:23 PM
                    Mike
                    You should also consider Tim Reese's book on the Battle of Crampton's Gap. It
                    is titled Sealed With Their Lives. I don't know if you can get it new. Amazon
                    has it here. It is out of print (I think) and a little expensive but worth your
                    consideration.
                    Regards
                    Jim Rosebrock

                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 17 7:38 PM
                        Mike;

                        You might also find the late Joseph Harsh's book "Taken at the Flood" to
                        have much useful information as well.