Re: [TalkAntietam] South Mountain

    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 13, 2007

      That is great. Thanks.

      Now I'll just stand back out of the way...<g>

      Stephen

      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 14, 2007
        It would have been more useful to the the Union thant the COnfederates, but EPA's account is the only real solid mention of it. It was uded i nthe Gettysburg by Union signalman, including Wm. J. L. Nicodemus.

        >>> "Adam Zimmerli" <azimmerli@...> 04/13/07 6:56 PM >>>
        According to Edward Porter Alexander:
        "I was riding with Gen. Lee when we came within a mile or two of the
        fight [for Turner's Gap] & some one discovered a small party of
        people on what seemed to be an old tower on the mountain top [the
        Washington Monument] about a mile north of the pass. There were some
        indications that it might be a signal party of the enemy sending
        messages of our approach, &, itching to have some personal role in
        a fight, I suggested to Gen. Lee that I might take a few men & go
        recapture it. He approved & had eight men sent with me from some
        brigade, I forget whose. I got in cover of some woods & then struck
        up the mountain side &, after a hard, hot climb, at last got up &
        around the tower (which seemed to have been built originally for a
        windmill) before the party on it knew of my approach. But they were
        plainly all natives of the vicinity attracted by the firing and up
        there to see the battle. I was quite disgusted at the peaceful
        character of my capture & left them after seeing that the position
        gave no valuable view of the enemy's ground & I pushed on to the
        front & right, towards the firing." Pages 142-143, Fighting for the
        Confederacy.

        According to the footnotes of the book, the tower was actually
        effectively in ruins by 1862. If EPA didn't think it gave a good
        view of the federals, could the same be said of the confederate army
        moving out of Boonsboro? I wonder, since it would be something one
        would assume he would think about.

        Anybody know where the 8 men came from?

        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 19, 2007
          Does anyone know of any writings regarding trouble citizens of Maryland
          got into for joining Lee's army during the Maryland Campaign? Thanks.

          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 19, 2007
            Stephen,

            Not sure, but there is an interesting account of a citizen of
            Pennsylvania who left the state to try to jine up with Lee's Army
            during the same campaign, was captured and then when he returned home
            to his home town under guard as a prisoner of war, it got dicey for a
            bit.

            Scott Mingus Sr. might be able to give you the story if you contact
            him at scottmingus@...

            God. --Anonymous

            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 19, 2007
              Thanks. maybe it's in his new book.

              Stephen

              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 20, 2007
                Stephen,

                Yes, it is.

                God. --Anonymous

              • colliszouave@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 17, 2011
                  Besides John Hoptak's book and the work of Carman, edited and annotated by Clemens, what others are "must-haves" re: South Mountain?

                  Respectfully,

                  Mike Peters
                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 17, 2011
                    Mike;

                    Although it does have many errors in it, I would still recommend J M
                    Priest's book "Before Antietam" as a good guide for South Mountain fighting.
                    Also, the War College Guide to Antietam has excellent section on South
                    Mountain, but I understand (IIRC???) it might be out of print.

                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 17, 2011
                      Mike
                      You should also consider Tim Reese's book on the Battle of Crampton's Gap. It
                      is titled Sealed With Their Lives. I don't know if you can get it new. Amazon
                      has it here. It is out of print (I think) and a little expensive but worth your
                      consideration.
                      Regards
                      Jim Rosebrock

                        Message 11 of 25 , Apr 17, 2011
                          Mike;

                          You might also find the late Joseph Harsh's book "Taken at the Flood" to
                          have much useful information as well.