Re: South Mountain

  • Adam Zimmerli
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 13, 2007
      According to Edward Porter Alexander:
      "I was riding with Gen. Lee when we came within a mile or two of the
      fight [for Turner's Gap] & some one discovered a small party of
      people on what seemed to be an old tower on the mountain top [the
      Washington Monument] about a mile north of the pass. There were some
      indications that it might be a signal party of the enemy sending
      messages of our approach, &, itching to have some personal role in
      a fight, I suggested to Gen. Lee that I might take a few men & go
      recapture it. He approved & had eight men sent with me from some
      brigade, I forget whose. I got in cover of some woods & then struck
      up the mountain side &, after a hard, hot climb, at last got up &
      around the tower (which seemed to have been built originally for a
      windmill) before the party on it knew of my approach. But they were
      plainly all natives of the vicinity attracted by the firing and up
      there to see the battle. I was quite disgusted at the peaceful
      character of my capture & left them after seeing that the position
      gave no valuable view of the enemy's ground & I pushed on to the
      front & right, towards the firing." Pages 142-143, Fighting for the
      Confederacy.

      According to the footnotes of the book, the tower was actually
      effectively in ruins by 1862. If EPA didn't think it gave a good
      view of the federals, could the same be said of the confederate army
      moving out of Boonsboro? I wonder, since it would be something one
      would assume he would think about.

      Anybody know where the 8 men came from?

      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 13, 2007

        That is great. Thanks.

        Now I'll just stand back out of the way...<g>

        Stephen

        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 14, 2007
          It would have been more useful to the the Union thant the COnfederates, but EPA's account is the only real solid mention of it. It was uded i nthe Gettysburg by Union signalman, including Wm. J. L. Nicodemus.

          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 19, 2007
            Does anyone know of any writings regarding trouble citizens of Maryland
            got into for joining Lee's army during the Maryland Campaign? Thanks.

            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 19, 2007
              Stephen,

              Not sure, but there is an interesting account of a citizen of
              Pennsylvania who left the state to try to jine up with Lee's Army
              during the same campaign, was captured and then when he returned home
              to his home town under guard as a prisoner of war, it got dicey for a
              bit.

              Scott Mingus Sr. might be able to give you the story if you contact
              him at scottmingus@...

              God. --Anonymous

              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 19, 2007
                Thanks. maybe it's in his new book.

                Stephen

                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 20, 2007
                  Stephen,

                  Yes, it is.

                  God. --Anonymous

                • colliszouave@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 17, 2011
                    Besides John Hoptak's book and the work of Carman, edited and annotated by Clemens, what others are "must-haves" re: South Mountain?

                    Respectfully,

                    Mike Peters
                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 17, 2011
                      Mike;

                      Although it does have many errors in it, I would still recommend J M
                      Priest's book "Before Antietam" as a good guide for South Mountain fighting.
                      Also, the War College Guide to Antietam has excellent section on South
                      Mountain, but I understand (IIRC???) it might be out of print.

                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 17, 2011
                        Mike
                        You should also consider Tim Reese's book on the Battle of Crampton's Gap. It
                        is titled Sealed With Their Lives. I don't know if you can get it new. Amazon
                        has it here. It is out of print (I think) and a little expensive but worth your
                        consideration.
                        Regards
                        Jim Rosebrock

                          Message 12 of 25 , Apr 17, 2011
                            Mike;

                            You might also find the late Joseph Harsh's book "Taken at the Flood" to
                            have much useful information as well.