Re: [TalkAntietam] South Mountain

    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 13, 2007
      Stephen,
      You can also head to Zittlestown Road and the MD Park entrance, turn right and then right again, following signs for Skycroft. That road takes you down the other side of the ravine where Meade attacked and is also a way to view the field.
      And Harry, Bite me! :-)

      >>> Stephen Recker <recker@...> 04/13/07 8:32 AM >>>
      Thanks guys. I'll head out right now.

      Stephen

    • jdpolaski@aol.com
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 13, 2007
        I have a good question for the group. Does anyone know of Signal flags being
        used at the Washington Monument? And if so what units were they and what
        communications did they send out.

      • Adam Zimmerli
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 13, 2007
          According to Edward Porter Alexander:
          "I was riding with Gen. Lee when we came within a mile or two of the
          fight [for Turner's Gap] & some one discovered a small party of
          people on what seemed to be an old tower on the mountain top [the
          Washington Monument] about a mile north of the pass. There were some
          indications that it might be a signal party of the enemy sending
          messages of our approach, &, itching to have some personal role in
          a fight, I suggested to Gen. Lee that I might take a few men & go
          recapture it. He approved & had eight men sent with me from some
          brigade, I forget whose. I got in cover of some woods & then struck
          up the mountain side &, after a hard, hot climb, at last got up &
          around the tower (which seemed to have been built originally for a
          windmill) before the party on it knew of my approach. But they were
          plainly all natives of the vicinity attracted by the firing and up
          there to see the battle. I was quite disgusted at the peaceful
          character of my capture & left them after seeing that the position
          gave no valuable view of the enemy's ground & I pushed on to the
          front & right, towards the firing." Pages 142-143, Fighting for the
          Confederacy.

          According to the footnotes of the book, the tower was actually
          effectively in ruins by 1862. If EPA didn't think it gave a good
          view of the federals, could the same be said of the confederate army
          moving out of Boonsboro? I wonder, since it would be something one
          would assume he would think about.

          Anybody know where the 8 men came from?

          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 13, 2007

            That is great. Thanks.

            Now I'll just stand back out of the way...<g>

            Stephen

            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 14, 2007
              It would have been more useful to the the Union thant the COnfederates, but EPA's account is the only real solid mention of it. It was uded i nthe Gettysburg by Union signalman, including Wm. J. L. Nicodemus.

              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 19, 2007
                Does anyone know of any writings regarding trouble citizens of Maryland
                got into for joining Lee's army during the Maryland Campaign? Thanks.

                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 19, 2007
                  Stephen,

                  Not sure, but there is an interesting account of a citizen of
                  Pennsylvania who left the state to try to jine up with Lee's Army
                  during the same campaign, was captured and then when he returned home
                  to his home town under guard as a prisoner of war, it got dicey for a
                  bit.

                  Scott Mingus Sr. might be able to give you the story if you contact
                  him at scottmingus@...

                  God. --Anonymous

                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 19, 2007
                    Thanks. maybe it's in his new book.

                    Stephen

                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 20, 2007
                      Stephen,

                      Yes, it is.

                      God. --Anonymous

                    • colliszouave@yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 17, 2011
                        Besides John Hoptak's book and the work of Carman, edited and annotated by Clemens, what others are "must-haves" re: South Mountain?

                        Respectfully,

                        Mike Peters
                        Message 11 of 25 , Apr 17, 2011
                          Mike;

                          Although it does have many errors in it, I would still recommend J M
                          Priest's book "Before Antietam" as a good guide for South Mountain fighting.
                          Also, the War College Guide to Antietam has excellent section on South
                          Mountain, but I understand (IIRC???) it might be out of print.

                          Message 12 of 25 , Apr 17, 2011
                            Mike
                            You should also consider Tim Reese's book on the Battle of Crampton's Gap. It
                            is titled Sealed With Their Lives. I don't know if you can get it new. Amazon
                            has it here. It is out of print (I think) and a little expensive but worth your
                            consideration.
                            Regards
                            Jim Rosebrock

                              Message 14 of 25 , Apr 17, 2011
                                Mike;

                                You might also find the late Joseph Harsh's book "Taken at the Flood" to
                                have much useful information as well.