Re: [TalkAntietam] South Mountain

  • Ronald Church
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 12 8:04 PM
      The name of the road is Dahlgren Road. It's about a mile long and joins
      with Frost Town Road which connects to Mount Tabor Road which loops back
      into and back into Alt. 40 opposite Bolivar Road. If you haven't driven the
      loop I highly recommend it. I recommend starting at Mt. Tabor Road. The
      last half of it heading up toward the crest will reveal some of the most
      Godawful terrain imagineable for an attack. Imagine the boys in blue down
      at the bottom at Frost Town Road where they assembled, having to attack up
      the hill toward the crest. Has to be seen to be appreciated.
      Ron Church
      Manchester MD

      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 13 5:32 AM
        Thanks guys. I'll head out right now.

        Stephen

      • rchurch@qis.net
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 13 6:14 AM
          Meade's forces generally fanned out across the low area and drove up the ravine
          on your right. Hatch followed Dahlgren Road for several hundred yards beyond
          Frost Town Road then turned left off of the road and advanced up the hill
          through heavy woods on the left. Wish I could be there with you.

          Ron

          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 13 12:53 PM
            Stephen,
            You can also head to Zittlestown Road and the MD Park entrance, turn right and then right again, following signs for Skycroft. That road takes you down the other side of the ravine where Meade attacked and is also a way to view the field.
            And Harry, Bite me! :-)

          • jdpolaski@aol.com
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 13 2:03 PM
              I have a good question for the group. Does anyone know of Signal flags being
              used at the Washington Monument? And if so what units were they and what
              communications did they send out.

            • Adam Zimmerli
              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 13 3:56 PM
                According to Edward Porter Alexander:
                "I was riding with Gen. Lee when we came within a mile or two of the
                fight [for Turner's Gap] & some one discovered a small party of
                people on what seemed to be an old tower on the mountain top [the
                Washington Monument] about a mile north of the pass. There were some
                indications that it might be a signal party of the enemy sending
                messages of our approach, &, itching to have some personal role in
                a fight, I suggested to Gen. Lee that I might take a few men & go
                recapture it. He approved & had eight men sent with me from some
                brigade, I forget whose. I got in cover of some woods & then struck
                up the mountain side &, after a hard, hot climb, at last got up &
                around the tower (which seemed to have been built originally for a
                windmill) before the party on it knew of my approach. But they were
                plainly all natives of the vicinity attracted by the firing and up
                there to see the battle. I was quite disgusted at the peaceful
                character of my capture & left them after seeing that the position
                gave no valuable view of the enemy's ground & I pushed on to the
                front & right, towards the firing." Pages 142-143, Fighting for the
                Confederacy.

                According to the footnotes of the book, the tower was actually
                effectively in ruins by 1862. If EPA didn't think it gave a good
                view of the federals, could the same be said of the confederate army
                moving out of Boonsboro? I wonder, since it would be something one
                would assume he would think about.

                Anybody know where the 8 men came from?

                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 13 6:35 PM

                  That is great. Thanks.

                  Now I'll just stand back out of the way...<g>

                  Stephen

                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 14 1:09 PM
                    It would have been more useful to the the Union thant the COnfederates, but EPA's account is the only real solid mention of it. It was uded i nthe Gettysburg by Union signalman, including Wm. J. L. Nicodemus.

                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 19 6:00 PM
                      Does anyone know of any writings regarding trouble citizens of Maryland
                      got into for joining Lee's army during the Maryland Campaign? Thanks.

                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 19 6:08 PM
                        Stephen,

                        Not sure, but there is an interesting account of a citizen of
                        Pennsylvania who left the state to try to jine up with Lee's Army
                        during the same campaign, was captured and then when he returned home
                        to his home town under guard as a prisoner of war, it got dicey for a
                        bit.

                        Scott Mingus Sr. might be able to give you the story if you contact
                        him at scottmingus@...

                        God. --Anonymous

                        Message 11 of 25 , Apr 19 6:40 PM
                          Thanks. maybe it's in his new book.

                          Stephen

                          Message 12 of 25 , Apr 20 2:08 AM
                            Stephen,

                            Yes, it is.

                            God. --Anonymous

                          • colliszouave@yahoo.com
                            Message 13 of 25 , Apr 17 3:55 PM
                              Besides John Hoptak's book and the work of Carman, edited and annotated by Clemens, what others are "must-haves" re: South Mountain?

                              Respectfully,

                              Mike Peters
                              Message 14 of 25 , Apr 17 5:51 PM
                                Mike;

                                Although it does have many errors in it, I would still recommend J M
                                Priest's book "Before Antietam" as a good guide for South Mountain fighting.
                                Also, the War College Guide to Antietam has excellent section on South
                                Mountain, but I understand (IIRC???) it might be out of print.

                                Message 15 of 25 , Apr 17 6:23 PM
                                  Mike
                                  You should also consider Tim Reese's book on the Battle of Crampton's Gap. It
                                  is titled Sealed With Their Lives. I don't know if you can get it new. Amazon
                                  has it here. It is out of print (I think) and a little expensive but worth your
                                  consideration.
                                  Regards
                                  Jim Rosebrock

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Apr 17 7:38 PM
                                      Mike;

                                      You might also find the late Joseph Harsh's book "Taken at the Flood" to
                                      have much useful information as well.