Re: [TalkAntietam] O.T. Reilly, Martin Burgan, and the Dunker Church souvenir shop

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 12, 2007
      One of Wilmer Mumma's books has a funny story about the ongoing feud
      between O.T. Reilly and martin Burgan.

      Why are you researching this. Are you doing a book?

      Stephen

      BTW, Mumma's Antietam, the Aftermath has a short story about Simon and
      his trip to the battlefield. Interesting in that it mentions, but
      doesn't give a date for the dip.

      On Sunday, April 8, 2007, at 10:02 AM, Adam Zimmerli wrote:

      > Also, aside from their description in Kathleen
      > Ernst's "Too Afraid to Cry," are there stories of early tour guides?
    • Harry Smeltzer
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 12, 2007
        Just east of the Dahlgren Chapel there's a road that takes you up to a good
        spot. Tom Clemens can help you with the road name.and will warn you of the
        dangers of trying to get a tour bus up there!

        Harry

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 13, 2007
          I'm working on my Master's thesis, which (in part) looks at Antietam
          and Gettysburg in terms of entrepreneurs.

          I've got a few copied pages out of a Wilmer Mumma book that talks
          about O.T. Reilly. I'll need to re-read them to see if it's the one
          you're talking about.

          BTW, when I was out in the area last, Ted Alexander said that if
          anyone knew much about these two guys (Reilly and Burgan), it'd be
          you, Stephen.

          Any more "pointing me in the right direction" is much appreciated.

          Adam

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 14, 2007
            There was also a fellow from Keedysville who was a long-time battlefield guide. I think the name was David Wyand. I will check into this when I return home.

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 24, 2007
              Adam,

              Why don't you contact me offline and we'll chat.

              Cheers,
              Stephen Recker
              Antietam Battlefield Guides

              P.O. Box 705
              Sharpsburg, MD 21782
              240-217-3664
              800-417-9596

              http://www.virtualantietam.com
              http://www.virtualgettysburg.com
              http://www.anothersoftwaremiracle.com

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 25, 2007
                Steve,
                "uncle Davy" Wyand in Keedsyville was a long-time guide. He might be
                the fellow referred to in the message.