Re: [TalkAntietam] O.T. Reilly, Martin Burgan, and the Dunker Church souvenir shop

  • T.R.Livesey
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 8, 2007
      Have you consulted John W. Schildt's "Four Days In October"?

      T.R. Livesey
      tlivesey@...

      On Sun Apr 8 9:02 , 'Adam Zimmerli' <azimmerli@...> sent:

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 12, 2007
        One of Wilmer Mumma's books has a funny story about the ongoing feud
        between O.T. Reilly and martin Burgan.

        Why are you researching this. Are you doing a book?

        Stephen

        BTW, Mumma's Antietam, the Aftermath has a short story about Simon and
        his trip to the battlefield. Interesting in that it mentions, but
        doesn't give a date for the dip.

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 12, 2007
          Where is the best place to interpret the Turner's Gap action north of
          the National Pike? I'm talking about George Gordon Meade. I'm looking
          for a modern road name. Thanks.

          Stephen
        • Harry Smeltzer
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 12, 2007
            Just east of the Dahlgren Chapel there's a road that takes you up to a good
            spot. Tom Clemens can help you with the road name.and will warn you of the
            dangers of trying to get a tour bus up there!

            Harry

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 13, 2007
              I'm working on my Master's thesis, which (in part) looks at Antietam
              and Gettysburg in terms of entrepreneurs.

              I've got a few copied pages out of a Wilmer Mumma book that talks
              about O.T. Reilly. I'll need to re-read them to see if it's the one
              you're talking about.

              BTW, when I was out in the area last, Ted Alexander said that if
              anyone knew much about these two guys (Reilly and Burgan), it'd be
              you, Stephen.

              Any more "pointing me in the right direction" is much appreciated.

              Adam

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 14, 2007
                There was also a fellow from Keedysville who was a long-time battlefield guide. I think the name was David Wyand. I will check into this when I return home.

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 24, 2007
                  Adam,

                  Why don't you contact me offline and we'll chat.

                  Cheers,
                  Stephen Recker
                  Antietam Battlefield Guides

                  P.O. Box 705
                  Sharpsburg, MD 21782
                  240-217-3664
                  800-417-9596

                  http://www.virtualantietam.com
                  http://www.virtualgettysburg.com
                  http://www.anothersoftwaremiracle.com

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 25, 2007
                    Steve,
                    "uncle Davy" Wyand in Keedsyville was a long-time guide. He might be
                    the fellow referred to in the message.