Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: The Complete Story of Antietam

    Message 1 of 29 , Apr 8, 2007
      Mike,

      Joe Harsh suffered a stroke a few years ago which, along with
      complications from diabetes, made it impossible for him to complete
      his project on McClellan and the Army of the Potomac.

      God. --Anonymous
      Message 2 of 29 , Apr 8, 2007
        Dear Adam,

        The book which you refer to about Carman has been referred to as less
        than a definitive study. Dr. Thomas Clemens, who won his Doctorate on
        an annotation of the Carman work, would be probably the best person
        qualified for a definitive work on the Carman manuscript.

        God. --Anonymous

      • mfitz54@aol.com
        Message 3 of 29 , Apr 8, 2007
          Thank you. I'm very sorry to hear that.

          Mike

          >I was at a seminar on Antietam at which Joe Harsh spoke and he talked
          >about how invaluable Ezra Carmen's writings on Antietam were to him.
          >He did talk about how he
          > wanted to write the Union side of the battle in which Carmen's work
          > would have been
          > a major source.
          > How is Mr. Harsh? I understand he had been ill.
          >
          > Mike Fitzpatrick

        • James W. Durney
          Message 4 of 29 , Apr 8, 2007
            Anyone know if it is possible to get him to sign his books?

            James

            Message 5 of 29 , Apr 8, 2007
              Dear James,

              The only possible way I know of might be to send a book of his to the
              publisher and ask them to forward to him for signature, but am not
              sure.

              God. --Anonymous

              Message 6 of 29 , Apr 9, 2007
                Yes, but he doesn't travel much. You'd most likely need to call him and go to his house.

                Message 7 of 29 , Apr 9, 2007

                  > Yes, but he doesn't travel much. You'd most likely need to call him
                  and go to his house.

                  > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.

                  Would you email me off-line, I have all of his books and would like to
                  get them signed.

                  James
                • joseph_pierro
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jun 23, 2007
                    Dear Adam (and Gerry):

                    There seems to be a little confusion about this book.

                    It is not a study ABOUT Carman or his work (a biography of Carman was
                    written soem years ago by a student of Joe Harsh's, but it remains an
                    unpublished thesis); the book Adam appears to be referencing is the
                    (soon to be) published and annotated edition of Carman's own 1,400
                    page manuscript (Tom Clemens and I differ as to the number of pages;
                    my count comes in a little over 1,400.)

                    As for it being "less than definitive"--well, it is THE narrative
                    that has shaped the park's own interpretation of the battle to this
                    day. Murfin, Sears, and Harsh all rely upon it. Which is not to say
                    it doesn't have its problems (it IS a 100 year old work, crafted when
                    standards of scholarship weren't as fixed and rigorous as a modern
                    work faces), but even those wirters who disagree with Carman's
                    interpretations first begin by taking him head-on. In Landscape
                    Turned Red, Sears called it the most detailed history of the battle
                    ever written. Nothing has changed since then to alter the truth of
                    that statement.

                    Carman's a bit like Freeman in that regard--writers can disagree with
                    everythign he said, but they can't write on the subject without
                    coming to grips with his work at some point.

                    Had Dr. Harsh continued his series, I'd would no doubt have been an
                    exhaustive campaign study. I question, however, whether he would
                    have gone into the tactical specificity Carman provided. I would
                    agree that Harsh's work--even in its current state--supplants (though
                    owes a debt to) Carman's as a large-unit, strategic/operational study.

                    I'm not sure how Gerry might have heard anything--positive or
                    otherwise--about it, as it hasn't yet reached print. (Five people
                    have seen my edition to date. I'll let their reactions speak for
                    themselves on the book's Amazon page.) Perhaps his opinion will
                    improve once he sees it. ;)

                    --Joseph Pierro
                    Hanover Co., Va.

                    > Dear Adam,
                    >
                    > The book which you refer to about Carman has been referred to as
                    less
                    > than a definitive study. Dr. Thomas Clemens, who won his Doctorate
                    on
                    > an annotation of the Carman work, would be probably the best person
                    > qualified for a definitive work on the Carman manuscript.

                    Almighty

                    Message 9 of 29 , Jun 24, 2007
                      Dear Joseph,

                      I think I understand now what you meant in your previous email to
                      which I responded. Carman was the unofficial official Historian
                      of the Battle of Antietam for the Battlefield Board and as such
                      carried on a most exhaustive correspondence with surviving
                      veterans of both sides.

                      Being himself also a veteran of the fighting at Antietam where he
                      was colonel of the Thirteenth New Jersey, a nine month unit which
                      literally learned how to go through the motions of loading its
                      muskets under Confederate fire (talk about "on the job
                      training"!!!!), Carman had a personal interest in getting the
                      facts right. I agree with you that Carman's manuscript continues
                      to remain one of the highest sources for primary information
                      about the battle but, like most all documentation, the manuscript
                      is not without its flaws.

                      Another very worthwhile work is that authored by Francis Palfrey
                      titled "The Antietam and Fredericksburg", which can be purchased
                      in paperback form. IIRC Stephen Sears did the introduction to the
                      paperback edition. I have the book and have read it and found it
                      a very good source and containing much valuable information.

> [...]

                      people
                      have seen my edition to date. I'll let their reactions speak for
                      themselves on the book's Amazon page.) Perhaps his opinion will
                      improve once he sees it. ;)

                      --Joseph Pierro
                      Hanover Co., Va.

                      > Dear Adam,
                      >
                      > The book which you refer to about Carman has been referred to
                      > as
                      less
                      > than a definitive study. Dr. Thomas Clemens, who won his
                      > Doctorate
                      on
                      > an annotation of the Carman work, would be probably the best
                      > person
                      > qualified for a definitive work on the Carman manuscript.

                      > on
                      > one's mother's side, is an introduction to any state in the
                      Almighty
                      > God. --Anonymous

                      would
                      > be
                      > > definitive. But very long.
                      > > >

                      > > I would only argue it would be very very very long. Having
                      > > read
                      > > some
                      > > of your work, I hope to see a book on the battle some day> >
                      > > James

                    • Joseph Pierro
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jun 24, 2007
                        Dear Gerry:

                        Please call me Jake. All my friends do.

                        My apologies if i misquoted your earlier statement. As I read the post, someone made reference to the "about to be published" Carman manuscript as "the definitive work.

                        Your statement in reply was something on the lines of "hardly definitive"--which I took as a remark upon my job of EDITING it. I see that you meant to refer to Carman's manuscript itself.

                        To which, I concur that Carman is HARDLY the last work on the subject. In fact, he owes (and openly acknowledges) quite a debt to Palfrey (quoting him verbatim and at length in many passages) and other contemporaries. In that regard, I am not aware of ANY author who has written all that can be said on Antietam. (I'm hard pressed to think of any historian who has done that for ANY Civil War battle.)

                        I think the word "definitive" sprang up in this conversation as a result of my use of the word in the subtitle to my edition of Carman. Marketing cache aside, I used the term in its literal sense. Carman's manuscript represnets the sum total of his reserach into the battle--research which formed the basis of the "official narrative" of Antietam as constructed by the Battlefield Board, and which has served--on some level--as the basis for all subsequent histories of the fight.

                        Consciously or not, everyone who writes on Antietam is in some way beginning with Carman. The govenrment's account of the battle--as expressed not only in print, but in the layout of Antietam National Battlefield itself, in what was presevred and what was omitted, what was foregrounded and what was relegated to the sidelines--is the narrative Carman constructed for them.

                        Which is to say (a point I express in my introduction) that Carman's work has "defined" all subsequent research. It's the baseline to which others historians have either adhered or deviated--but, by definition, they have never worked in isolation from it.

                        As for its flaws, I am the first to admit there are boths errors of fact and errors of interpretation in Carman's work. (So too with every history.)

                        I go back to my use of the word "baseline." I for one would never argue that Carman's work (by which I refer to the sum of his inquiries into Antietam, of which the Maryland Campaign is but one expression) is (or ever intended to be) the "last" word on the subject. I would argue, however, that it is, if not the FIRST word, the most influential on the subsequent course of Antietam historiography.

                        --- In TalkAntietam@ yahoogroups. com, "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@. ..>
                        wrote:

                        > Dear Adam,
                        >
                        > The book which you refer to about Carman has been referred to
                        > as
                        less
                        > than a definitive study. Dr. Thomas Clemens, who won his
                        > Doctorate
                        on
                        > an annotation of the Carman work, would be probably the best
                        > person
                        > qualified for a definitive work on the Carman manuscript.

                        > on
                        > one's mother's side, is an introduction to any state in the
                        > Union,
                        Almighty
                        > God. --Anonymous

                        would

                        Message 11 of 29 , Jul 2 5:38 AM
                          I just spoke to a buddy of mine that is planning on going to the huge
                          Antietam Conference at the end of this month. He was holding back
                          because he wasn't sure there was still going to be room for him. I
                          checked it out and there is still plenty of room for folks who want to
                          attend. I thought I would post a note here about it so that anyone else
                          who wanted to go yet hadn't signed up might be assured that the
                          opportunity has not passed.

                          Info can be found at: www.chambersburgcivilwarseminars.org

                          I'm particularly excited to go on John Hoptak's Final Assault walk. He
                          says that he is going to go in an area little travelled. Ending, no
                          doubt, with a long speech at the monument for the 48th PA ;-)

                          Who else is going?

                          Stephen Recker