O.T. Reilly, Martin Burgan, and the Dunker Church souvenir shop

  • Adam Zimmerli
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 8 7:02 AM
      Hello, all.
      I'm new to the group, but I've got a question:

      I'm looking for early (1862-1930's or so) entrepreneurs in the
      Sharpsburg area who dealt specifically with the battlefield and
      turning a buck off it. I know about O.T. Reilly's souvenir shop,
      guidebook, and tours, and about Martin Burgan's guidebook. Aside from
      the building that was on the Dunker Church foundation and the snack
      shack near Bloody Lane, were there any other souvenir shops or the
      like on the field? Also, aside from their description in Kathleen
      Ernst's "Too Afraid to Cry," are there stories of early tour guides?
      How about really BAD tour guides? (Akin to one discussed in the
      Gettysburg Admin. History whose tours included a description of
      Little Round Top as placed there by God's own hand solely so that the
      Union Army might have a position from which to drive the rebels from
      the field.)

      I imagine tour guides and souvenir shops were fairly small and part-
      time jobs, mostly farmers who had a little downtime a few relics
      they'd picked up on their property. I read Trowbridge's description
      of his tour in 1867, and he hired a guide from Keedysville. Am I
      right, or am I missing something?

      Finally, are there any good accounts of just what Lincoln actually
      did in the Sharpsburg area? I guess he was touring the battlefield
      (when he wasn't busy chewing out Little Mac), but I can't seem to
      find any good accounts. Then again, I'm not too much of a Lincoln
      historian, so I'm open to suggestions.

      Thanks!

      Adam Zimmerli
    • T.R.Livesey
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 8 10:21 AM
        Have you consulted John W. Schildt's "Four Days In October"?

        T.R. Livesey
        tlivesey@...

        On Sun Apr 8 9:02 , 'Adam Zimmerli' <azimmerli@...> sent:

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 12 3:39 PM
          One of Wilmer Mumma's books has a funny story about the ongoing feud
          between O.T. Reilly and martin Burgan.

          Why are you researching this. Are you doing a book?

          Stephen

          BTW, Mumma's Antietam, the Aftermath has a short story about Simon and
          his trip to the battlefield. Interesting in that it mentions, but
          doesn't give a date for the dip.

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 12 3:41 PM
            Where is the best place to interpret the Turner's Gap action north of
            the National Pike? I'm talking about George Gordon Meade. I'm looking
            for a modern road name. Thanks.

            Stephen
          • Harry Smeltzer
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 12 7:12 PM
              Just east of the Dahlgren Chapel there's a road that takes you up to a good
              spot. Tom Clemens can help you with the road name.and will warn you of the
              dangers of trying to get a tour bus up there!

              Harry

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 13 7:35 AM
                I'm working on my Master's thesis, which (in part) looks at Antietam
                and Gettysburg in terms of entrepreneurs.

                I've got a few copied pages out of a Wilmer Mumma book that talks
                about O.T. Reilly. I'll need to re-read them to see if it's the one
                you're talking about.

                BTW, when I was out in the area last, Ted Alexander said that if
                anyone knew much about these two guys (Reilly and Burgan), it'd be
                you, Stephen.

                Any more "pointing me in the right direction" is much appreciated.

                Adam

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 14 1:04 PM
                  There was also a fellow from Keedysville who was a long-time battlefield guide. I think the name was David Wyand. I will check into this when I return home.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 24, 2007
                    Adam,

                    Why don't you contact me offline and we'll chat.

                    Cheers,
                    Stephen Recker
                    Antietam Battlefield Guides

                    P.O. Box 705
                    Sharpsburg, MD 21782
                    240-217-3664
                    800-417-9596

                    http://www.virtualantietam.com
                    http://www.virtualgettysburg.com
                    http://www.anothersoftwaremiracle.com

                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 25, 2007
                      Steve,
                      "uncle Davy" Wyand in Keedsyville was a long-time guide. He might be
                      the fellow referred to in the message.