Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Simon takes a dip

  • Tom Shay
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 7 9:52 AM
      THE BIVOUACS OF THE DEAD notes "the original dedication had been planned for 1879; however, due to an accident one piece had to be retreived from the bottom of the Potomac and this resulted in delaying the dedication until the following year."

      THE MONUMENTS AT ANTIETAM states "The monument was first brought to Washington, D.C. by coastal vessel and on to Sharpsburg by barge on the C & O Canal. The statue was pulled over a series of wooden rollers from the canal, 2 and one half miles to the National Cemetery. It was shipped in two pieces and joined at the waist when erected."

      Do we know the date when the dip happened?

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 12 3:34 PM
        Tom and Adam,

        Thanks for checking this out. I don't know the date of the dip.