Re: Simon takes a dip

  • gtmcftsotcwgrad
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 7, 2007
      Stephen,

      According to the Antietam Administrative History, it looks like only
      one piece fell in (based on a letter discussed on p. 36). I checked the
      Herald and Torch Light and I searched the New York Times and Chicago
      Tribune, and none of them mention Simon going for a swim. That I could
      find, anyway...

      Adam Zimmerli

      > Does anyone know of any photographs or news clippings relative to
      > Simon's fall in the Potomac on his way to his resting place in the
      > Antietam National Cemetery? Thanks.
      >
      > Stephen

    • Tom Shay
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 7, 2007
        THE BIVOUACS OF THE DEAD notes "the original dedication had been planned for 1879; however, due to an accident one piece had to be retreived from the bottom of the Potomac and this resulted in delaying the dedication until the following year."

        THE MONUMENTS AT ANTIETAM states "The monument was first brought to Washington, D.C. by coastal vessel and on to Sharpsburg by barge on the C & O Canal. The statue was pulled over a series of wooden rollers from the canal, 2 and one half miles to the National Cemetery. It was shipped in two pieces and joined at the waist when erected."

        Do we know the date when the dip happened?

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 12, 2007
          Tom and Adam,

          Thanks for checking this out. I don't know the date of the dip.