Re: [TalkAntietam] Important questions

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 23, 2007
      If there is another road from Turner's to Fox's Gap i do not know of it. The AT cut a new path for a while when the Ridge Rd. was controlled by private landowners, but that was not a historic path.
      If they knew the Old Sharpsburg Road and its destination, yes, it would have made sense, but since it was not they way the approached the field they most likely left the way they came when the attack by Wilcox and Sturgis drove them all back. Also remember that the Ninth Corps is not pushjing west, through the gap, but north, towards Turner's Gap. Falling back away from the fight would be less efective than falling back to rally and defend Turner's Gap. As I said, I have not looked at this, and will try to review this tonight. Sorry, I have inadvertantly confused you. The Old Sharpsburg Road was what I was thinking of, and you know that is now Reno Monument Rd.

      They do help but...

      1. I thought I saw a map which seemed to indicate there was another
      wood road near the Mtn. House but not the wood road there today...this
      road joined the other wood road that is there today at about where the
      Michigan marker is...and that this other road may have been how the NC
      brigade advanced to the gap.

      2. Would it not have made more sense for the NC brigade to retreat
      down the Old Sharpsburg Road?

      3. Where is the old Hagerstown Road bed?

      God. --Anonymous