Important questions

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 21, 2007
      Gang,

      I have some important questions which I hope someone here can help me
      with:

      1. What road did Anderson;'s North Carolina Brigade, especially the
      Second and Fourth NC, take to reach the summit of Fox's Gap the
      morning of September 14th? Did they take the old wood road which leads
      to the Gap from the Mountain House Inn that is today still walkable
      but part of the Appalachian Trail? Or did they take another road which
      converged right at the gap?

      2. When the Confederates had to retreat off the mountain, what route
      did Anderson's Brigade take? Steve Stotlmeyer showed me a few years
      ago but did not point the route out to me on a map.

      3. Any evidence the Confederates used logging trails to attempt to get
      around the Union left flank when attempting a counter attack up the
      mountain to retake the high ground around Fox's Gap (to the west as
      you stand at the Reno Monument looking in the direction of the NC
      Monument today).

      Thanks to all for your immediate help.

      God. --Anonymous
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 23, 2007
        Since nobody seems to be jumping in I will give you my "off the top of my head" thoughts on this. 1. It is my recollection that Anderson's brigade ascended the mountain on the National Road to the Mountain House, and then proceeded south on the Ridge or wood road along the crest to Fox's Gap.
        2. Again, IIRC, they retired from the failed attack by the same route, more or less. This one I am not as sure of.
        3. The assualt of Cox's left was launched from the Old Hagerstown Road bed, and was done in line of battle, hence the logging trails would not have been any help to them. In fact, part of the reason that it failed was that they got "lost" in the woods and never really attacked Cox in any strength.
        Hope this helps.

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 23, 2007

          They do help but...

          1. I thought I saw a map which seemed to indicate there was another
          wood road near the Mtn. House but not the wood road there today...this
          road joined the other wood road that is there today at about where the
          Michigan marker is...and that this other road may have been how the NC
          brigade advanced to the gap.

          2. Would it not have made more sense for the NC brigade to retreat
          down the Old Sharpsburg Road?

          3. Where is the old Hagerstown Road bed?