Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Added Upon/New Member

  • T.R.Livesey
    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 9, 2007
      Aspiring to something is different than actually practising it. Or, failing in
      something doesn't mean you never meant to succeed. Atrocities continue to the
      present day, and probably will continue forever. Does that prove that there is no
      such thing as respect for human dignity?

      T.R. Livesey
      tlivesey@...

      On Fri Mar 9 18:26 , 'James W. Durney' <JWD2044@...> sent:

      TalkAntietam-digest@yahoogroups.com','','','')">TalkAntietam-digest@yahoogroups.com

      TalkAntietam-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com','','','')">TalkAntietam-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Mark Holt
      Message 2 of 29 , Mar 10, 2007
        Human dignity was a big thing in the 19th century. Many slaves were treated not only with dignity but with love. This was especially true in relationships in which only one or a very few slaves belonged to a family. People who were mean to slaves were, more often than not, just mean in general. A person who was good to slaves was, more often than not, good to animals, family, and neighbors.

        I believe that, when I come before God's judgment, my being a non-slave-owner will be of minor import. What will really matter is how I treated all people around me.

        "James W. Durney" <JWD2044@...> wrote:
        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, T.R.Livesey <tlivesey@...> wrote:

        > As for your comment about judging people by our standards, are you
        saying that
        > respect for basic human dignity was not a standard of the 19th
        century?

        TR, my Irish family history will answer your question with a
        resounding 'YES'. Read "The Harp and the Eagle" by Susannah Ural
        Bruce. BTW, the Germans were not a great deal better off bur that side
        of my family didn't come to America until after the war.

        James

        test'; ">

      • Brian Downey
        Message 3 of 29 , Mar 10, 2007
          Greetings friends,

          The recent discussion topic about slavery is well outside the scope
          and charter of this goup. Besides, you all know where it'll go...

          Not that it isn't an important subject, or that we don't all have a
          right to say what we think, just that the conversation belongs elsewhere.

          I'd be happy to point the interested to other internet groups which
          are appropriate for that subject. I'd also be glad to have private
          email from anyone who'd like to talk about it further.

          Thanks,
          Brian
        • robert blama
          Message 4 of 29 , Mar 11, 2007
            I agree, I ususally dont say much< i just listend and pick up great info but I want it concentrated on Antietam, Would discuss other topics in another forum.

            Message 5 of 29 , Apr 8, 2007
              I have to say I'm a fan of Joe Harsh's trilogy, but as far as a
              definitive study, I hear that Ezra Carman's study will be coming out
              this summer (at a thousand pages and a hundred dollars).

              --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "James W. Durney" <JWD2044@...>

            • mfitz54@aol.com
              Message 6 of 29 , Apr 8, 2007
                I was at a seminar on Antietam at which Joe Harsh spoke and he talked about how invaluable Ezra Carmen's writings on Antietam were to him. He did talk about how he
                wanted to write the Union side of the battle in which Carmen's work would have been
                a major source.
                How is Mr. Harsh? I understand he had been ill.

                Mike Fitzpatrick

                Message 7 of 29 , Apr 8, 2007
                  Mike,

                  Joe Harsh suffered a stroke a few years ago which, along with
                  complications from diabetes, made it impossible for him to complete
                  his project on McClellan and the Army of the Potomac.

                  God. --Anonymous

                  Message 8 of 29 , Apr 8, 2007
                    Dear Adam,

                    The book which you refer to about Carman has been referred to as less
                    than a definitive study. Dr. Thomas Clemens, who won his Doctorate on
                    an annotation of the Carman work, would be probably the best person
                    qualified for a definitive work on the Carman manuscript.

                    God. --Anonymous

                  • mfitz54@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 29 , Apr 8, 2007
                      Thank you. I'm very sorry to hear that.

                      Mike

                      >I was at a seminar on Antietam at which Joe Harsh spoke and he talked
                      >about how invaluable Ezra Carmen's writings on Antietam were to him.
                      >He did talk about how he
                      > wanted to write the Union side of the battle in which Carmen's work
                      > would have been
                      > a major source.
                      > How is Mr. Harsh? I understand he had been ill.
                      >
                      > Mike Fitzpatrick

                    • James W. Durney
                      Message 10 of 29 , Apr 8, 2007
                        Anyone know if it is possible to get him to sign his books?

                        James

                        Message 11 of 29 , Apr 8, 2007
                          Dear James,

                          The only possible way I know of might be to send a book of his to the
                          publisher and ask them to forward to him for signature, but am not
                          sure.

                          God. --Anonymous

                          Message 12 of 29 , Apr 9, 2007
                            Yes, but he doesn't travel much. You'd most likely need to call him and go to his house.

                            Message 13 of 29 , Apr 9, 2007

                              > Yes, but he doesn't travel much. You'd most likely need to call him
                              and go to his house.

                              > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.

                              Would you email me off-line, I have all of his books and would like to
                              get them signed.

                              James
                            • joseph_pierro
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jun 23 7:05 PM
                                Dear Adam (and Gerry):

                                There seems to be a little confusion about this book.

                                It is not a study ABOUT Carman or his work (a biography of Carman was
                                written soem years ago by a student of Joe Harsh's, but it remains an
                                unpublished thesis); the book Adam appears to be referencing is the
                                (soon to be) published and annotated edition of Carman's own 1,400
                                page manuscript (Tom Clemens and I differ as to the number of pages;
                                my count comes in a little over 1,400.)

                                As for it being "less than definitive"--well, it is THE narrative
                                that has shaped the park's own interpretation of the battle to this
                                day. Murfin, Sears, and Harsh all rely upon it. Which is not to say
                                it doesn't have its problems (it IS a 100 year old work, crafted when
                                standards of scholarship weren't as fixed and rigorous as a modern
                                work faces), but even those wirters who disagree with Carman's
                                interpretations first begin by taking him head-on. In Landscape
                                Turned Red, Sears called it the most detailed history of the battle
                                ever written. Nothing has changed since then to alter the truth of
                                that statement.

                                Carman's a bit like Freeman in that regard--writers can disagree with
                                everythign he said, but they can't write on the subject without
                                coming to grips with his work at some point.

                                Had Dr. Harsh continued his series, I'd would no doubt have been an
                                exhaustive campaign study. I question, however, whether he would
                                have gone into the tactical specificity Carman provided. I would
                                agree that Harsh's work--even in its current state--supplants (though
                                owes a debt to) Carman's as a large-unit, strategic/operational study.

                                I'm not sure how Gerry might have heard anything--positive or
                                otherwise--about it, as it hasn't yet reached print. (Five people
                                have seen my edition to date. I'll let their reactions speak for
                                themselves on the book's Amazon page.) Perhaps his opinion will
                                improve once he sees it. ;)

                                --Joseph Pierro
                                Hanover Co., Va.

                                > Dear Adam,
                                >
                                > The book which you refer to about Carman has been referred to as
                                less
                                > than a definitive study. Dr. Thomas Clemens, who won his Doctorate
                                on
                                > an annotation of the Carman work, would be probably the best person
                                > qualified for a definitive work on the Carman manuscript.

                                Almighty

                                Message 15 of 29 , Jun 24 7:39 PM
                                  Dear Joseph,

                                  I think I understand now what you meant in your previous email to
                                  which I responded. Carman was the unofficial official Historian
                                  of the Battle of Antietam for the Battlefield Board and as such
                                  carried on a most exhaustive correspondence with surviving
                                  veterans of both sides.

                                  Being himself also a veteran of the fighting at Antietam where he
                                  was colonel of the Thirteenth New Jersey, a nine month unit which
                                  literally learned how to go through the motions of loading its
                                  muskets under Confederate fire (talk about "on the job
                                  training"!!!!), Carman had a personal interest in getting the
                                  facts right. I agree with you that Carman's manuscript continues
                                  to remain one of the highest sources for primary information
                                  about the battle but, like most all documentation, the manuscript
                                  is not without its flaws.

                                  Another very worthwhile work is that authored by Francis Palfrey
                                  titled "The Antietam and Fredericksburg", which can be purchased
                                  in paperback form. IIRC Stephen Sears did the introduction to the
                                  paperback edition. I have the book and have read it and found it
                                  a very good source and containing much valuable information.

> [...]

                                  people
                                  have seen my edition to date. I'll let their reactions speak for
                                  themselves on the book's Amazon page.) Perhaps his opinion will
                                  improve once he sees it. ;)

                                  --Joseph Pierro
                                  Hanover Co., Va.

                                  > Dear Adam,
                                  >
                                  > The book which you refer to about Carman has been referred to
                                  > as
                                  less
                                  > than a definitive study. Dr. Thomas Clemens, who won his
                                  > Doctorate
                                  on
                                  > an annotation of the Carman work, would be probably the best
                                  > person
                                  > qualified for a definitive work on the Carman manuscript.

                                  > on
                                  > one's mother's side, is an introduction to any state in the
                                  Almighty
                                  > God. --Anonymous

                                  would
                                  > be
                                  > > definitive. But very long.
                                  > > >

                                  > > I would only argue it would be very very very long. Having
                                  > > read
                                  > > some
                                  > > of your work, I hope to see a book on the battle some day> >
                                  > > James

                                • Joseph Pierro
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jun 24 8:37 PM
                                    Dear Gerry:

                                    Please call me Jake. All my friends do.

                                    My apologies if i misquoted your earlier statement. As I read the post, someone made reference to the "about to be published" Carman manuscript as "the definitive work.

                                    Your statement in reply was something on the lines of "hardly definitive"--which I took as a remark upon my job of EDITING it. I see that you meant to refer to Carman's manuscript itself.

                                    To which, I concur that Carman is HARDLY the last work on the subject. In fact, he owes (and openly acknowledges) quite a debt to Palfrey (quoting him verbatim and at length in many passages) and other contemporaries. In that regard, I am not aware of ANY author who has written all that can be said on Antietam. (I'm hard pressed to think of any historian who has done that for ANY Civil War battle.)

                                    I think the word "definitive" sprang up in this conversation as a result of my use of the word in the subtitle to my edition of Carman. Marketing cache aside, I used the term in its literal sense. Carman's manuscript represnets the sum total of his reserach into the battle--research which formed the basis of the "official narrative" of Antietam as constructed by the Battlefield Board, and which has served--on some level--as the basis for all subsequent histories of the fight.

                                    Consciously or not, everyone who writes on Antietam is in some way beginning with Carman. The govenrment's account of the battle--as expressed not only in print, but in the layout of Antietam National Battlefield itself, in what was presevred and what was omitted, what was foregrounded and what was relegated to the sidelines--is the narrative Carman constructed for them.

                                    Which is to say (a point I express in my introduction) that Carman's work has "defined" all subsequent research. It's the baseline to which others historians have either adhered or deviated--but, by definition, they have never worked in isolation from it.

                                    As for its flaws, I am the first to admit there are boths errors of fact and errors of interpretation in Carman's work. (So too with every history.)

                                    I go back to my use of the word "baseline." I for one would never argue that Carman's work (by which I refer to the sum of his inquiries into Antietam, of which the Maryland Campaign is but one expression) is (or ever intended to be) the "last" word on the subject. I would argue, however, that it is, if not the FIRST word, the most influential on the subsequent course of Antietam historiography.

                                    --- In TalkAntietam@ yahoogroups. com, "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@. ..>
                                    wrote:

                                    > Dear Adam,
                                    >
                                    > The book which you refer to about Carman has been referred to
                                    > as
                                    less
                                    > than a definitive study. Dr. Thomas Clemens, who won his
                                    > Doctorate
                                    on
                                    > an annotation of the Carman work, would be probably the best
                                    > person
                                    > qualified for a definitive work on the Carman manuscript.

                                    > on
                                    > one's mother's side, is an introduction to any state in the
                                    > Union,
                                    Almighty
                                    > God. --Anonymous

                                    would

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jul 2, 2007
                                      I just spoke to a buddy of mine that is planning on going to the huge
                                      Antietam Conference at the end of this month. He was holding back
                                      because he wasn't sure there was still going to be room for him. I
                                      checked it out and there is still plenty of room for folks who want to
                                      attend. I thought I would post a note here about it so that anyone else
                                      who wanted to go yet hadn't signed up might be assured that the
                                      opportunity has not passed.

                                      Info can be found at: www.chambersburgcivilwarseminars.org

                                      I'm particularly excited to go on John Hoptak's Final Assault walk. He
                                      says that he is going to go in an area little travelled. Ending, no
                                      doubt, with a long speech at the monument for the 48th PA ;-)

                                      Who else is going?

                                      Stephen Recker