Re: The Complete Story of Antietam

  • James W. Durney
    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 8, 2007
      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Downey" <bdowney@...> wrote:

      > Greetings Quentin,
      >
      > Among many more significant things, you wrote "... A Landscape Turned
      > Red by Stephen W. Sears... is the complete story of the
      > Sharpsburg/Antietam campaign."
      >
      > To me, "the complete story" implies Landscape Turned Red is singularly
      > authoritative or particularly comprehensive. I don't think it is
      > either. But then, I don't know that any single work could be.
      >
      > I'd be curious to hear more of your view of the book.
      >
      > Brian

      I would be inclined to require more than one book on Antietam. The
      battle has not produced a "Coddington", that I know of. Joseph Harsh
      has done some very detailed work and that needs to be mentioned. Nor
      do I think we can dismiss John Priest's book. I agree Sears is the
      best read of the bunch.

      James
      Message 2 of 29 , Mar 8, 2007
        I'd agree that Sears is very well written. Would also agree that no single volume is definitive, however I would argue that had Joe Harsh finished his multi-volume work on the Union perspective, together with Confederate trilogy, they would be definitive. But very long.

        Message 3 of 29 , Mar 8, 2007

          > I would argue that had Joe Harsh finished his multi-volume work on
          the Union perspective, together with Confederate trilogy, they would be
          definitive. But very long.

          I would only argue it would be very very very long. Having read some
          of your work, I hope to see a book on the battle some day.

          James
        • T.R.Livesey
          Message 4 of 29 , Mar 9, 2007
            On Thu Mar 8 0:57 , 'Quentin Holt' que182001@...> sent:

            >--- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, T.R.Livesey wrote:
            >>
            >To T.R. Livesey and All:
            >

            >Do you know that all 13 of the original states of the United States
            >were slave states when the Constitution was ratified? Some of them,
            >like the New England and mid-Atlantic states later abolished slavery
            >by state law. Many people in the South did not like slavery either,
            >but what were they going to do? It was like having a tiger by the
            >tail. You wish that you didn't, but you don't dare let go. It was
            >unsettling to say the least. Generally speaking, I think that we
            >should be very cautious about judging people of one era of history by
            >the standards of a later era. We can only guess what people a
            >century and a half from now will think of us.

            This 'tiger by the tail' thing is a bunch of nonsense. None of the major
            conflicts over slavery were about slavery in the south; it was all about slavery
            in the west (Missouri Compromise, Kansas-Nebraska, etc), slavery in the north
            (Dred Scott) and slavery in the Capital. No matter how ‘dangerous’, volatile, or
            explosive slavery might be, its supporters were bent on spreading it to every
            region of the country. Lincoln made this argument in his debates with Douglas:
            if a man had something dangerous, toxic, and explosive in your in one part of
            your house, why would you want to spread it everywhere in your house? If you
            bought a new house, why would you bring the dangerous, explosive, toxic thing
            into the new house? And if some of the toxic substance leaked onto your
            neighbor’s property, why would you demand a law that made your neighbor obligated
            to help you scoop up the toxic substance and bring it back to your house? If you
            tolerate something only because you don’t know what to do with it, your don’t
            turn around and try to grow it and make it flourish.

            That aside, the historical record proves that slavery was not a tiger by the
            tail. After all, emancipation eventually did happen, and the tiger got let go.
            There were no widespread reprisals of blacks on whites, except in the imagination
            of the authors of "Birth of a Nation".

            As for your comment about judging people by our standards, are you saying that
            respect for basic human dignity was not a standard of the 19th century? They
            lived under 'all men are created equal', just like we do. I think if the George
            Wallaces of the world thought a little bit less about their immediate interests
            and a little more about how the future will judge them, the world would be a much
            better place.

            >In our day I look around me and I think I can see the "curious
            >institution" of slavery returning in another form. Is it not a form
            >of slavery when one must work from January 2 until a late May or
            >June "Tax Freedom Day" just to pay his or her federal, state, and
            >local taxes? Then one can have the rest of the year's income to
            >support self, family, and church. Here in King County, Washington,
            >we have a County Executive and a majority on the County Council who,
            >like other "liberals," have the attitude that people like Iris and I
            >exist only to provide limitless revenue for every fool boondoggle and
            >government extravagance that their fertile minds can imagine. As if
            >we had it!

            We don't discuss modern politics in this group.

            T.R. Livesey
            tlivesey@...
          • James W. Durney
            Message 5 of 29 , Mar 9, 2007
              --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, T.R.Livesey <tlivesey@...> wrote:

              > As for your comment about judging people by our standards, are you
              saying that
              > respect for basic human dignity was not a standard of the 19th
              century?

              TR, my Irish family history will answer your question with a
              resounding 'YES'. Read "The Harp and the Eagle" by Susannah Ural
              Bruce. BTW, the Germans were not a great deal better off bur that side
              of my family didn't come to America until after the war.

              James
            • T.R.Livesey
              Message 6 of 29 , Mar 9, 2007
                Aspiring to something is different than actually practising it. Or, failing in
                something doesn't mean you never meant to succeed. Atrocities continue to the
                present day, and probably will continue forever. Does that prove that there is no
                such thing as respect for human dignity?

                T.R. Livesey
                tlivesey@...

                On Fri Mar 9 18:26 , 'James W. Durney' <JWD2044@...> sent:

                TalkAntietam-digest@yahoogroups.com','','','')">TalkAntietam-digest@yahoogroups.com

                TalkAntietam-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com','','','')">TalkAntietam-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Mark Holt
                Message 7 of 29 , Mar 10, 2007
                  Human dignity was a big thing in the 19th century. Many slaves were treated not only with dignity but with love. This was especially true in relationships in which only one or a very few slaves belonged to a family. People who were mean to slaves were, more often than not, just mean in general. A person who was good to slaves was, more often than not, good to animals, family, and neighbors.

                  I believe that, when I come before God's judgment, my being a non-slave-owner will be of minor import. What will really matter is how I treated all people around me.

                  "James W. Durney" <JWD2044@...> wrote:
                  --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, T.R.Livesey <tlivesey@...> wrote:

                  > As for your comment about judging people by our standards, are you
                  saying that
                  > respect for basic human dignity was not a standard of the 19th
                  century?

                  TR, my Irish family history will answer your question with a
                  resounding 'YES'. Read "The Harp and the Eagle" by Susannah Ural
                  Bruce. BTW, the Germans were not a great deal better off bur that side
                  of my family didn't come to America until after the war.

                  James

                  test'; ">

                • Brian Downey
                  Message 8 of 29 , Mar 10, 2007
                    Greetings friends,

                    The recent discussion topic about slavery is well outside the scope
                    and charter of this goup. Besides, you all know where it'll go...

                    Not that it isn't an important subject, or that we don't all have a
                    right to say what we think, just that the conversation belongs elsewhere.

                    I'd be happy to point the interested to other internet groups which
                    are appropriate for that subject. I'd also be glad to have private
                    email from anyone who'd like to talk about it further.

                    Thanks,
                    Brian
                  • robert blama
                    Message 9 of 29 , Mar 11, 2007
                      I agree, I ususally dont say much< i just listend and pick up great info but I want it concentrated on Antietam, Would discuss other topics in another forum.

                      Message 10 of 29 , Apr 8 7:21 AM
                        I have to say I'm a fan of Joe Harsh's trilogy, but as far as a
                        definitive study, I hear that Ezra Carman's study will be coming out
                        this summer (at a thousand pages and a hundred dollars).

                        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "James W. Durney" <JWD2044@...>

                      • mfitz54@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 29 , Apr 8 7:44 AM
                          I was at a seminar on Antietam at which Joe Harsh spoke and he talked about how invaluable Ezra Carmen's writings on Antietam were to him. He did talk about how he
                          wanted to write the Union side of the battle in which Carmen's work would have been
                          a major source.
                          How is Mr. Harsh? I understand he had been ill.

                          Mike Fitzpatrick

                          Message 12 of 29 , Apr 8 9:41 AM
                            Mike,

                            Joe Harsh suffered a stroke a few years ago which, along with
                            complications from diabetes, made it impossible for him to complete
                            his project on McClellan and the Army of the Potomac.

                            God. --Anonymous

                            Message 13 of 29 , Apr 8 9:42 AM
                              Dear Adam,

                              The book which you refer to about Carman has been referred to as less
                              than a definitive study. Dr. Thomas Clemens, who won his Doctorate on
                              an annotation of the Carman work, would be probably the best person
                              qualified for a definitive work on the Carman manuscript.

                              God. --Anonymous

                            • mfitz54@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 29 , Apr 8 11:48 AM
                                Thank you. I'm very sorry to hear that.

                                Mike

                                >I was at a seminar on Antietam at which Joe Harsh spoke and he talked
                                >about how invaluable Ezra Carmen's writings on Antietam were to him.
                                >He did talk about how he
                                > wanted to write the Union side of the battle in which Carmen's work
                                > would have been
                                > a major source.
                                > How is Mr. Harsh? I understand he had been ill.
                                >
                                > Mike Fitzpatrick

                              • James W. Durney
                                Message 15 of 29 , Apr 8 5:27 PM
                                  Anyone know if it is possible to get him to sign his books?

                                  James

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Apr 8 5:40 PM
                                    Dear James,

                                    The only possible way I know of might be to send a book of his to the
                                    publisher and ask them to forward to him for signature, but am not
                                    sure.

                                    God. --Anonymous

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Apr 9 6:03 AM
                                      Yes, but he doesn't travel much. You'd most likely need to call him and go to his house.

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Apr 9 2:53 PM

                                        > Yes, but he doesn't travel much. You'd most likely need to call him
                                        and go to his house.

                                        > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.

                                        Would you email me off-line, I have all of his books and would like to
                                        get them signed.

                                        James
                                      • joseph_pierro
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jun 23, 2007
                                          Dear Adam (and Gerry):

                                          There seems to be a little confusion about this book.

                                          It is not a study ABOUT Carman or his work (a biography of Carman was
                                          written soem years ago by a student of Joe Harsh's, but it remains an
                                          unpublished thesis); the book Adam appears to be referencing is the
                                          (soon to be) published and annotated edition of Carman's own 1,400
                                          page manuscript (Tom Clemens and I differ as to the number of pages;
                                          my count comes in a little over 1,400.)

                                          As for it being "less than definitive"--well, it is THE narrative
                                          that has shaped the park's own interpretation of the battle to this
                                          day. Murfin, Sears, and Harsh all rely upon it. Which is not to say
                                          it doesn't have its problems (it IS a 100 year old work, crafted when
                                          standards of scholarship weren't as fixed and rigorous as a modern
                                          work faces), but even those wirters who disagree with Carman's
                                          interpretations first begin by taking him head-on. In Landscape
                                          Turned Red, Sears called it the most detailed history of the battle
                                          ever written. Nothing has changed since then to alter the truth of
                                          that statement.

                                          Carman's a bit like Freeman in that regard--writers can disagree with
                                          everythign he said, but they can't write on the subject without
                                          coming to grips with his work at some point.

                                          Had Dr. Harsh continued his series, I'd would no doubt have been an
                                          exhaustive campaign study. I question, however, whether he would
                                          have gone into the tactical specificity Carman provided. I would
                                          agree that Harsh's work--even in its current state--supplants (though
                                          owes a debt to) Carman's as a large-unit, strategic/operational study.

                                          I'm not sure how Gerry might have heard anything--positive or
                                          otherwise--about it, as it hasn't yet reached print. (Five people
                                          have seen my edition to date. I'll let their reactions speak for
                                          themselves on the book's Amazon page.) Perhaps his opinion will
                                          improve once he sees it. ;)

                                          --Joseph Pierro
                                          Hanover Co., Va.

                                          > Dear Adam,
                                          >
                                          > The book which you refer to about Carman has been referred to as
                                          less
                                          > than a definitive study. Dr. Thomas Clemens, who won his Doctorate
                                          on
                                          > an annotation of the Carman work, would be probably the best person
                                          > qualified for a definitive work on the Carman manuscript.

                                          Almighty

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jun 24, 2007
                                            Dear Joseph,

                                            I think I understand now what you meant in your previous email to
                                            which I responded. Carman was the unofficial official Historian
                                            of the Battle of Antietam for the Battlefield Board and as such
                                            carried on a most exhaustive correspondence with surviving
                                            veterans of both sides.

                                            Being himself also a veteran of the fighting at Antietam where he
                                            was colonel of the Thirteenth New Jersey, a nine month unit which
                                            literally learned how to go through the motions of loading its
                                            muskets under Confederate fire (talk about "on the job
                                            training"!!!!), Carman had a personal interest in getting the
                                            facts right. I agree with you that Carman's manuscript continues
                                            to remain one of the highest sources for primary information
                                            about the battle but, like most all documentation, the manuscript
                                            is not without its flaws.

                                            Another very worthwhile work is that authored by Francis Palfrey
                                            titled "The Antietam and Fredericksburg", which can be purchased
                                            in paperback form. IIRC Stephen Sears did the introduction to the
                                            paperback edition. I have the book and have read it and found it
                                            a very good source and containing much valuable information.

> [...]

                                            people
                                            have seen my edition to date. I'll let their reactions speak for
                                            themselves on the book's Amazon page.) Perhaps his opinion will
                                            improve once he sees it. ;)

                                            --Joseph Pierro
                                            Hanover Co., Va.

                                            > Dear Adam,
                                            >
                                            > The book which you refer to about Carman has been referred to
                                            > as
                                            less
                                            > than a definitive study. Dr. Thomas Clemens, who won his
                                            > Doctorate
                                            on
                                            > an annotation of the Carman work, would be probably the best
                                            > person
                                            > qualified for a definitive work on the Carman manuscript.

                                            > on
                                            > one's mother's side, is an introduction to any state in the
                                            Almighty
                                            > God. --Anonymous

                                            would
                                            > be
                                            > > definitive. But very long.
                                            > > >

                                            > > I would only argue it would be very very very long. Having
                                            > > read
                                            > > some
                                            > > of your work, I hope to see a book on the battle some day> >
                                            > > James

                                          • Joseph Pierro
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jun 24, 2007
                                              Dear Gerry:

                                              Please call me Jake. All my friends do.

                                              My apologies if i misquoted your earlier statement. As I read the post, someone made reference to the "about to be published" Carman manuscript as "the definitive work.

                                              Your statement in reply was something on the lines of "hardly definitive"--which I took as a remark upon my job of EDITING it. I see that you meant to refer to Carman's manuscript itself.

                                              To which, I concur that Carman is HARDLY the last work on the subject. In fact, he owes (and openly acknowledges) quite a debt to Palfrey (quoting him verbatim and at length in many passages) and other contemporaries. In that regard, I am not aware of ANY author who has written all that can be said on Antietam. (I'm hard pressed to think of any historian who has done that for ANY Civil War battle.)

                                              I think the word "definitive" sprang up in this conversation as a result of my use of the word in the subtitle to my edition of Carman. Marketing cache aside, I used the term in its literal sense. Carman's manuscript represnets the sum total of his reserach into the battle--research which formed the basis of the "official narrative" of Antietam as constructed by the Battlefield Board, and which has served--on some level--as the basis for all subsequent histories of the fight.

                                              Consciously or not, everyone who writes on Antietam is in some way beginning with Carman. The govenrment's account of the battle--as expressed not only in print, but in the layout of Antietam National Battlefield itself, in what was presevred and what was omitted, what was foregrounded and what was relegated to the sidelines--is the narrative Carman constructed for them.

                                              Which is to say (a point I express in my introduction) that Carman's work has "defined" all subsequent research. It's the baseline to which others historians have either adhered or deviated--but, by definition, they have never worked in isolation from it.

                                              As for its flaws, I am the first to admit there are boths errors of fact and errors of interpretation in Carman's work. (So too with every history.)

                                              I go back to my use of the word "baseline." I for one would never argue that Carman's work (by which I refer to the sum of his inquiries into Antietam, of which the Maryland Campaign is but one expression) is (or ever intended to be) the "last" word on the subject. I would argue, however, that it is, if not the FIRST word, the most influential on the subsequent course of Antietam historiography.

                                              --- In TalkAntietam@ yahoogroups. com, "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@. ..>
                                              wrote:

                                              > Dear Adam,
                                              >
                                              > The book which you refer to about Carman has been referred to
                                              > as
                                              less
                                              > than a definitive study. Dr. Thomas Clemens, who won his
                                              > Doctorate
                                              on
                                              > an annotation of the Carman work, would be probably the best
                                              > person
                                              > qualified for a definitive work on the Carman manuscript.

                                              > on
                                              > one's mother's side, is an introduction to any state in the
                                              > Union,
                                              Almighty
                                              > God. --Anonymous

                                              would

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jul 2, 2007
                                                I just spoke to a buddy of mine that is planning on going to the huge
                                                Antietam Conference at the end of this month. He was holding back
                                                because he wasn't sure there was still going to be room for him. I
                                                checked it out and there is still plenty of room for folks who want to
                                                attend. I thought I would post a note here about it so that anyone else
                                                who wanted to go yet hadn't signed up might be assured that the
                                                opportunity has not passed.

                                                Info can be found at: www.chambersburgcivilwarseminars.org

                                                I'm particularly excited to go on John Hoptak's Final Assault walk. He
                                                says that he is going to go in an area little travelled. Ending, no
                                                doubt, with a long speech at the monument for the 48th PA ;-)

                                                Who else is going?

                                                Stephen Recker