Re: Human Interest Stories from Antietam: new book

  • jeffcowvplanning
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 7 2:59 PM
      Scott...
      Thanks. I'll be ordering a copy.
      Steve

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Mingus" <scottmingus@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "jeffcowvplanning"
      > <jeffcowvplanning@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Very nice.
      > >
      > > Does anyone know if there are any mentions of Middletown in
      Scott's
      > > book?
      > >
      > > Steve B.
      >

      > Steve,
      >
      > There are 4-5 anecdotes and stories regarding Middletown and its
      > environs, including the hanging of two Rebs for stealing apples
      from an
      > orchard in the town.
      >
      > Scott

    • Scott Mingus
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 10 7:08 PM
        Lee authorized the executions for direct violations of his strict
        orders not to pilfer things from private citizens. The two Rebs were
        left rotting in the moonlight as Union troops arrived in town.
        Ironically, several Yanks wound up stealing from the same orchard
        without peril.

        You Antietam buffs will like this new book. There are a ton of
        stories you have not heard before, as well as a few old favorites.

        Gerry is in my debt for a job well done in proofreading the book and
        making constructive suggestions.

        The book will be in print in April and is my second non-wargaming
        book (I have sixgaming books, including one on Antietam entitled
        Undying Courage: Antietam in Miniature).

        > Yup.

        Almighty
        > God. --Anonymous
        new

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 10 8:07 PM
          Lee authorized the executions for direct violations of his strict
          orders not to pilfer things from private citizens. The two Rebs were
          left rotting in the moonlight as Union troops arrived in town.
          Ironically, several Yanks wound up stealing from the same orchard
          without peril.

          >>>That is correct. Apparently Union soldiers felt the citizens of
          >>>Maryland would not mind such "pilfering". Since the Confederacy
          >>>"had" to put its best foot forward to try to convince Maryland that
          >>>its rightful place was as one of the Confederate states, strict
          >>>discipline had to be enforced.

          You Antietam buffs will like this new book. There are a ton of
          stories you have not heard before, as well as a few old favorites.

          >>>Scott is right. There are some very interesting stories scattered
          >>>throughout the book.

          Gerry is in my debt for a job well done in proofreading the book and
          making constructive suggestions.

          >>Scott, it was a labour of love, given my study and fondness for that
          >>particular field and also in honor of all who gave their "last full
          >>measure" there.

          The book will be in print in April and is my second non-wargaming
          book (I have sixgaming books, including one on Antietam entitled
          Undying Courage: Antietam in Miniature).

          >>Any chance of receiving a autographed copy?

          God. --Anonymous