Re: [TalkAntietam] Antietam tour report: Hooker's atttack

  • David Lutton
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 18, 2001

      I just wanted to ditto your comments on the anniversary hikes this year. I
      think that NPS rangers Mike and Keith did a great job. Included on the
      Monday afternoon hike was a tour of the interior of the Sherrick home. This
      was a first for me. Mike said that the Sherrick's never returned to their
      home after the battle but was unsure as to why. They must have been a
      prosperous family the house was pretty substantial.

      The Locher cabin was also a highlight for me. I hope the NPS has plans to
      further stabilize the structure if for no other reason than its aesthetic
      value to the park.

      One question that came up during the Burnside bridge tour concerned
      artillery and its use during the attack. Both Mike and Keith said that in
      their reading of the action here both sides remember being under sustained
      artillery fire. But other than mention a section of Crook's artillery, they
      could not find reference to other artillery units engaged on this portion of
      the field. I remember reading somewhere that as many as 7 US batteries were
      firing on the narrow front presented by the Georgians. If that was indeed
      the case, was the 9th Corp so poorly served with their artillery support or
      was the rebel position that good?
      I find it hard to believe that many guns would not have had a much greater
      effect on the Georgians.

      David Lutton