Henry Rathbone at Antietam?

  • RoteBaron@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6, 2007
      Henry Rathbone was with President Lincoln at Ford's Theatre that fatal night in 1865. He was wounded by JW Booth. It appears Rathbone was at Antietam in 9th Corps. Anyone have further info on Rathbone's unit at Antietam? Just curious!

    • Brian Downey
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 6, 2007
        Hi Tom,

        According to "Military record of civilian appointees..." (Guy Vernor
        Henry, 1873, D. Van Nostrand):

        He had been in New York State Militia (Colonel, aide-de-camp to
        Governor); appointed Capt of then-forming 12th US Infantry May 1861.
        On recruiting duty to March 1862. Present at Antietam and
        Fredericksburg. Various Army Staff jobs subsequently. Was a Major,
        USA, and disbursing officer at Provost Marshall's Bureau, Wash DC at
        time of Assasination.

        Heitman agrees with commission in 12th US Inf but no other detail
        about service before the Wilderness (on Burnside's staff as Major, ADC);

        I recall no mention of Rathbone's actions (if any) in materials I've
        read about the battle of Antietam.

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, RoteBaron@... wrote:

        > Henry Rathbone was with President Lincoln at Ford's Theatre that
        fatal night in 1865. He was wounded by JW Booth. It appears Rathbone
        was at Antietam in 9th Corps. Anyone have further info on Rathbone's
        unit at Antietam? Just curious!

        > Tom Shay

      • Tom Shay
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 6, 2007
          On page 6 of Kauffman's AMERICAN BRUTUS, it states:
          "Major Rathbone, of the 12th U.S. Infantry....."
          and
          "He commanded a company under Burnside at Antietam and Fredericksburg."

          That's about the only items I've found.