Re: Human Interest Stories from Antietam: new book

  • Brian Downey
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 6, 2007
      Stealing apples was a hanging offense?
      Brian

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Mingus" <scottmingus@...>

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 6, 2007
        Yup.

        God. --Anonymous
        > There are 4-5 anecdotes and stories regarding Middletown and its
        > environs, including the hanging of two Rebs for stealing apples from
        > an
        > orchard in the town.
        >
        > Scott

      • jeffcowvplanning
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 7, 2007
          Scott...
          Thanks. I'll be ordering a copy.
          Steve

          wrote:

          > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "jeffcowvplanning"
          > <jeffcowvplanning@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Very nice.
          > >
          > > Does anyone know if there are any mentions of Middletown in
          Scott's
          > > book?
          > >
          > > Steve B.
          >

          > Steve,
          >
          > There are 4-5 anecdotes and stories regarding Middletown and its
          > environs, including the hanging of two Rebs for stealing apples
          from an
          > orchard in the town.
          >
          > Scott

        • Scott Mingus
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 10, 2007
            Lee authorized the executions for direct violations of his strict
            orders not to pilfer things from private citizens. The two Rebs were
            left rotting in the moonlight as Union troops arrived in town.
            Ironically, several Yanks wound up stealing from the same orchard
            without peril.

            You Antietam buffs will like this new book. There are a ton of
            stories you have not heard before, as well as a few old favorites.

            Gerry is in my debt for a job well done in proofreading the book and
            making constructive suggestions.

            The book will be in print in April and is my second non-wargaming
            book (I have sixgaming books, including one on Antietam entitled
            Undying Courage: Antietam in Miniature).

            > Yup.

            Almighty
            > God. --Anonymous
            new

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 10, 2007
              Lee authorized the executions for direct violations of his strict
              orders not to pilfer things from private citizens. The two Rebs were
              left rotting in the moonlight as Union troops arrived in town.
              Ironically, several Yanks wound up stealing from the same orchard
              without peril.

              >>>That is correct. Apparently Union soldiers felt the citizens of
              >>>Maryland would not mind such "pilfering". Since the Confederacy
              >>>"had" to put its best foot forward to try to convince Maryland that
              >>>its rightful place was as one of the Confederate states, strict
              >>>discipline had to be enforced.

              You Antietam buffs will like this new book. There are a ton of
              stories you have not heard before, as well as a few old favorites.

              >>>Scott is right. There are some very interesting stories scattered
              >>>throughout the book.

              Gerry is in my debt for a job well done in proofreading the book and
              making constructive suggestions.

              >>Scott, it was a labour of love, given my study and fondness for that
              >>particular field and also in honor of all who gave their "last full
              >>measure" there.

              The book will be in print in April and is my second non-wargaming
              book (I have sixgaming books, including one on Antietam entitled
              Undying Courage: Antietam in Miniature).

              >>Any chance of receiving a autographed copy?

              God. --Anonymous