Re: Human Interest Stories from Antietam: new book

  • Scott Mingus
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 6, 2007
      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "jeffcowvplanning"
      <jeffcowvplanning@...> wrote:

      > Very nice.
      >
      > Does anyone know if there are any mentions of Middletown in Scott's
      > book?
      >
      > Steve B.

      Steve,

      There are 4-5 anecdotes and stories regarding Middletown and its
      environs, including the hanging of two Rebs for stealing apples from an
      orchard in the town.

      Scott
    • Brian Downey
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 6, 2007
        Stealing apples was a hanging offense?
        Brian

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Mingus" <scottmingus@...>

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 6, 2007
          Yup.

          God. --Anonymous
          > There are 4-5 anecdotes and stories regarding Middletown and its
          > environs, including the hanging of two Rebs for stealing apples from
          > an
          > orchard in the town.
          >
          > Scott

        • jeffcowvplanning
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 7, 2007
            Scott...
            Thanks. I'll be ordering a copy.
            Steve

            wrote:

            > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "jeffcowvplanning"
            > <jeffcowvplanning@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Very nice.
            > >
            > > Does anyone know if there are any mentions of Middletown in
            Scott's
            > > book?
            > >
            > > Steve B.
            >

            > Steve,
            >
            > There are 4-5 anecdotes and stories regarding Middletown and its
            > environs, including the hanging of two Rebs for stealing apples
            from an
            > orchard in the town.
            >
            > Scott

          • Scott Mingus
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 10, 2007
              Lee authorized the executions for direct violations of his strict
              orders not to pilfer things from private citizens. The two Rebs were
              left rotting in the moonlight as Union troops arrived in town.
              Ironically, several Yanks wound up stealing from the same orchard
              without peril.

              You Antietam buffs will like this new book. There are a ton of
              stories you have not heard before, as well as a few old favorites.

              Gerry is in my debt for a job well done in proofreading the book and
              making constructive suggestions.

              The book will be in print in April and is my second non-wargaming
              book (I have sixgaming books, including one on Antietam entitled
              Undying Courage: Antietam in Miniature).

              > Yup.

              Almighty
              > God. --Anonymous
              new

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 10, 2007
                Lee authorized the executions for direct violations of his strict
                orders not to pilfer things from private citizens. The two Rebs were
                left rotting in the moonlight as Union troops arrived in town.
                Ironically, several Yanks wound up stealing from the same orchard
                without peril.

                >>>That is correct. Apparently Union soldiers felt the citizens of
                >>>Maryland would not mind such "pilfering". Since the Confederacy
                >>>"had" to put its best foot forward to try to convince Maryland that
                >>>its rightful place was as one of the Confederate states, strict
                >>>discipline had to be enforced.

                You Antietam buffs will like this new book. There are a ton of
                stories you have not heard before, as well as a few old favorites.

                >>>Scott is right. There are some very interesting stories scattered
                >>>throughout the book.

                Gerry is in my debt for a job well done in proofreading the book and
                making constructive suggestions.

                >>Scott, it was a labour of love, given my study and fondness for that
                >>particular field and also in honor of all who gave their "last full
                >>measure" there.

                The book will be in print in April and is my second non-wargaming
                book (I have sixgaming books, including one on Antietam entitled
                Undying Courage: Antietam in Miniature).

                >>Any chance of receiving a autographed copy?

                God. --Anonymous