Re: Human Interest Stories from Antietam: new book

  • jeffcowvplanning
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 25, 2007
      Very nice.

      Does anyone know if there are any mentions of Middletown in Scott's
      book?

      Steve B.

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Shay" <RoteBaron@...> wrote:

      > Scott Mingus has compiled an anthology of stories regarding the
      Battle of Antietam.

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 25, 2007
        Dear Jeff,

        I was one of the ones who proofed Scott's Manuscript for the book. I
        do not recall, off the top of my head, whether he had any mention of
        Middletown. What I can tell you is that the book will contains
        anecdotes about experiences of the soldiers of both sides. It is not
        intended as a tactical study of the battle or the campaign.

        God. --Anonymous
        Does anyone know if there are any mentions of Middletown in Scott's
        book?

        Steve B.

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Shay" <RoteBaron@...> wrote:

        > Scott Mingus has compiled an anthology of stories regarding the
        Battle of Antietam.
        > The book is entitled Human Interest Stories from Antietam.
        >
        > More info on this forthcoming book is available at:
        > http://theminiaturespage.com/news/97913/
        >
        > Tom Shay

      • Scott Mingus
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 6, 2007
          --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "jeffcowvplanning"
          <jeffcowvplanning@...> wrote:

          > Very nice.
          >
          > Does anyone know if there are any mentions of Middletown in Scott's
          > book?
          >
          > Steve B.

          Steve,

          There are 4-5 anecdotes and stories regarding Middletown and its
          environs, including the hanging of two Rebs for stealing apples from an
          orchard in the town.

          Scott
        • Brian Downey
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 6, 2007
            Stealing apples was a hanging offense?
            Brian

            --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Mingus" <scottmingus@...>

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 6, 2007
              Yup.

              God. --Anonymous
              > There are 4-5 anecdotes and stories regarding Middletown and its
              > environs, including the hanging of two Rebs for stealing apples from
              > an
              > orchard in the town.
              >
              > Scott

            • jeffcowvplanning
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 7, 2007
                Scott...
                Thanks. I'll be ordering a copy.
                Steve

                wrote:

                > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "jeffcowvplanning"
                > <jeffcowvplanning@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Very nice.
                > >
                > > Does anyone know if there are any mentions of Middletown in
                Scott's
                > > book?
                > >
                > > Steve B.
                >

                > Steve,
                >
                > There are 4-5 anecdotes and stories regarding Middletown and its
                > environs, including the hanging of two Rebs for stealing apples
                from an
                > orchard in the town.
                >
                > Scott

              • Scott Mingus
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 10, 2007
                  Lee authorized the executions for direct violations of his strict
                  orders not to pilfer things from private citizens. The two Rebs were
                  left rotting in the moonlight as Union troops arrived in town.
                  Ironically, several Yanks wound up stealing from the same orchard
                  without peril.

                  You Antietam buffs will like this new book. There are a ton of
                  stories you have not heard before, as well as a few old favorites.

                  Gerry is in my debt for a job well done in proofreading the book and
                  making constructive suggestions.

                  The book will be in print in April and is my second non-wargaming
                  book (I have sixgaming books, including one on Antietam entitled
                  Undying Courage: Antietam in Miniature).

                  > Yup.

                  Almighty
                  > God. --Anonymous
                  new

                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 10, 2007
                    Lee authorized the executions for direct violations of his strict
                    orders not to pilfer things from private citizens. The two Rebs were
                    left rotting in the moonlight as Union troops arrived in town.
                    Ironically, several Yanks wound up stealing from the same orchard
                    without peril.

                    >>>That is correct. Apparently Union soldiers felt the citizens of
                    >>>Maryland would not mind such "pilfering". Since the Confederacy
                    >>>"had" to put its best foot forward to try to convince Maryland that
                    >>>its rightful place was as one of the Confederate states, strict
                    >>>discipline had to be enforced.

                    You Antietam buffs will like this new book. There are a ton of
                    stories you have not heard before, as well as a few old favorites.

                    >>>Scott is right. There are some very interesting stories scattered
                    >>>throughout the book.

                    Gerry is in my debt for a job well done in proofreading the book and
                    making constructive suggestions.

                    >>Scott, it was a labour of love, given my study and fondness for that
                    >>particular field and also in honor of all who gave their "last full
                    >>measure" there.

                    The book will be in print in April and is my second non-wargaming
                    book (I have sixgaming books, including one on Antietam entitled
                    Undying Courage: Antietam in Miniature).

                    >>Any chance of receiving a autographed copy?

                    God. --Anonymous