Human Interest Stories from Antietam: new book

  • Tom Shay
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 23, 2007
      Scott Mingus has compiled an anthology of stories regarding the Battle of Antietam.
      The book is entitled Human Interest Stories from Antietam.

      More info on this forthcoming book is available at:
      http://theminiaturespage.com/news/97913/

    • jeffcowvplanning
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 25, 2007
        Very nice.

        Does anyone know if there are any mentions of Middletown in Scott's
        book?

        Steve B.

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 25, 2007
          Dear Jeff,

          I was one of the ones who proofed Scott's Manuscript for the book. I
          do not recall, off the top of my head, whether he had any mention of
          Middletown. What I can tell you is that the book will contains
          anecdotes about experiences of the soldiers of both sides. It is not
          intended as a tactical study of the battle or the campaign.

          God. --Anonymous
          Does anyone know if there are any mentions of Middletown in Scott's
          book?

          Steve B.

          --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Shay" <RoteBaron@...> wrote:

          > Scott Mingus has compiled an anthology of stories regarding the
          Battle of Antietam.
          > The book is entitled Human Interest Stories from Antietam.
          >
          > More info on this forthcoming book is available at:
          > http://theminiaturespage.com/news/97913/
          >
          > Tom Shay

        • Scott Mingus
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 6 6:11 AM
            --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "jeffcowvplanning"
            <jeffcowvplanning@...> wrote:

            > Very nice.
            >
            > Does anyone know if there are any mentions of Middletown in Scott's
            > book?
            >
            > Steve B.

            Steve,

            There are 4-5 anecdotes and stories regarding Middletown and its
            environs, including the hanging of two Rebs for stealing apples from an
            orchard in the town.

            Scott
          • Brian Downey
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 6 6:40 AM
              Stealing apples was a hanging offense?
              Brian

              --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Mingus" <scottmingus@...>

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 6 6:42 AM
                Yup.

                God. --Anonymous
                > There are 4-5 anecdotes and stories regarding Middletown and its
                > environs, including the hanging of two Rebs for stealing apples from
                > an
                > orchard in the town.
                >
                > Scott

              • jeffcowvplanning
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 7 2:59 PM
                  Scott...
                  Thanks. I'll be ordering a copy.
                  Steve

                  wrote:

                  > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "jeffcowvplanning"
                  > <jeffcowvplanning@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Very nice.
                  > >
                  > > Does anyone know if there are any mentions of Middletown in
                  Scott's
                  > > book?
                  > >
                  > > Steve B.
                  >

                  > Steve,
                  >
                  > There are 4-5 anecdotes and stories regarding Middletown and its
                  > environs, including the hanging of two Rebs for stealing apples
                  from an
                  > orchard in the town.
                  >
                  > Scott

                • Scott Mingus
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 10 7:08 PM
                    Lee authorized the executions for direct violations of his strict
                    orders not to pilfer things from private citizens. The two Rebs were
                    left rotting in the moonlight as Union troops arrived in town.
                    Ironically, several Yanks wound up stealing from the same orchard
                    without peril.

                    You Antietam buffs will like this new book. There are a ton of
                    stories you have not heard before, as well as a few old favorites.

                    Gerry is in my debt for a job well done in proofreading the book and
                    making constructive suggestions.

                    The book will be in print in April and is my second non-wargaming
                    book (I have sixgaming books, including one on Antietam entitled
                    Undying Courage: Antietam in Miniature).

                    > Yup.

                    Almighty
                    > God. --Anonymous
                    new

                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 10 8:07 PM
                      Lee authorized the executions for direct violations of his strict
                      orders not to pilfer things from private citizens. The two Rebs were
                      left rotting in the moonlight as Union troops arrived in town.
                      Ironically, several Yanks wound up stealing from the same orchard
                      without peril.

                      >>>That is correct. Apparently Union soldiers felt the citizens of
                      >>>Maryland would not mind such "pilfering". Since the Confederacy
                      >>>"had" to put its best foot forward to try to convince Maryland that
                      >>>its rightful place was as one of the Confederate states, strict
                      >>>discipline had to be enforced.

                      You Antietam buffs will like this new book. There are a ton of
                      stories you have not heard before, as well as a few old favorites.

                      >>>Scott is right. There are some very interesting stories scattered
                      >>>throughout the book.

                      Gerry is in my debt for a job well done in proofreading the book and
                      making constructive suggestions.

                      >>Scott, it was a labour of love, given my study and fondness for that
                      >>particular field and also in honor of all who gave their "last full
                      >>measure" there.

                      The book will be in print in April and is my second non-wargaming
                      book (I have sixgaming books, including one on Antietam entitled
                      Undying Courage: Antietam in Miniature).

                      >>Any chance of receiving a autographed copy?

                      God. --Anonymous