Alabama soldiers honored at Antietam

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 18 5:35 AM
      From today's Hagerstown Herald-Mail:

      ALABAMA SOLDIERS HONORED AT ANTIETAM CEREMONY

      The calm, shady field underneath towering trees a few feet from Sunken Road
      at Antietam National Battlefield displayed a different scene 139 years ago.
      On Sept. 17, 1862, the constant blasting of muskets and the screams of
      wounded Civil War soldiers rang out as piles of Alabama corpses covered
      Sunken Road, giving it the nickname "Bloody Lane."

      "They were buried right here," said Randall Marott of Daphne, Ala. "They're
      still here. They're in the meadow. This is a sacred ground. This is a sacred
      place for the men of Alabama." Those hundreds of men, fighting in the
      Confederate Army, were remembered in a ceremony Monday at the battlefield.
      Monday also was the 139th anniversary of the Battle of Antietam.

      A cast iron tablet paid for by the State of Alabama was dedicated to the
      state's 3rd, 5th, 6th, 12th and 26th infantries led by Brig. Gen. Robert
      Rodes along Bloody Lane. The brigade was pushed back by Union troops and fled
      toward the town of Sharpsburg. Marott, who was ceremony coordinator, said a
      tablet had been dedicated in the 1890s by the War Department, but it
      disappeared from the battlefield 50 years ago.

      Alabama Gov. Don Siegelman was in attendance and urged the crowd of more than
      100 to pass on to children "the values that led those soldiers to stay in
      that lane to fight ... to pay the supreme sacrifice."

      Siegelman and Marott pulled the Alabama flag from the tablet, revealing it to
      the crowd, who clapped and waved Confederate and American flags in unison.

      Spectators said the ceremony was held to promote history and to pay respects
      to the fallen soldiers of Alabama, not to provoke debates about slavery.

      The newly dedicated tablet also marks the position of the Rodes' Brigade,
      they said.

      "It was good. It was moving," said Mike Martin of Forest Park, Ga., just
      outside of Atlanta. Martin, who is a re-enactor and volunteer for Kennesaw
      Mountain Battlefield, was on vacation and decided to attend. "Even though I
      live down there, I wear Union clothes and Confederate clothes," he said. "We
      should show respect to all our ancestors, not just mine."

      Marshall Chalkley Jr., of Towson, Md., said it's important that the South's
      old traditions not be left behind. "We cannot forget where we come from,"
      Chalkley said. "We cannot reflect on the future if we forget the past."

      Chalkley is a re-enactor with the Second Maryland, Company A Stewart's
      Brigade and is also an extra in the Hollywood movie "Gods and Generals."
      "It's heritage, not hate," he said. "We're all Americans, but we're not going
      to let our Southern heritage go.

      Article is on web at:
      http://www.herald-mail.com/news/2001/09/17/local/Alabama_soldiers_honore.html

      Tom Shay - Cressona, PA