Antietam Tour: Sunken Road

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 18, 2001
      FYI...a ranger noted to me that James McPherson is working on an Antietam
      book.

      The third tour on Saturday featured the Sunken Road. The rangers divided the
      people into those who wanted to follow the Union attack (with Keith Snyder)
      or Rebel defense(with Mike Weinstein). Dave and I went with Mike's tour.

      We began at VC and headed south along the Hagerstown Pike. We stopped at
      possible spot where Chamberlayne (sp?) manned the guns and he noted the oft
      overlooked marker along the pike (at entrance to Piper Farm) noting the event.

      We proceeeded down to Piper Farm and then veered northeast up the slope thru
      former site of the Piper orchard. Mike noted it's not sure what type of fruit
      the orchard bore. Mike used Carman maps to denote unit and gun positions.
      Someone noted the Caman maps on on a CD by HBAR. Can anyone provide followup
      info?

      We arrived at the Sunken Land and awaited the Union group to appear. The
      middle slope's grass was cut low, offering an unobstructed view ahead.
      Keith's group of about fifty appeared (in line) in the foreground and it
      offered some perspective of what it was like to see a line suddenly arise in
      the near distance on that slope.

      Our tour ended on a somber note as the rangers offered a moment of silence in
      memory of the horrors of the Sunken Road and our more recent tragedies.

      Tom Shay - Cressona, PA
    • TR Livesey
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 18, 2001

        I have very much enjoyed your posts...would have loved
        to be there myself.

        As for the Carman maps, they are finally available on
        line for free at the Library of Congress site.
        Did I mention for free?

        The location is

        http://rs6.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?ammem/gmd:@FILREQ(@field(TITLE+@od1(Atlas+of+the+battlefield+of+Antietam++))+@FIELD(COLLID+cwmap))

        Each plate is scanned at a pretty good resolution. Like all maps
        on the loc, you use the "MrSid" viewer (you need no special
        software to interactively view the images on line). If you
        want to download the images and view them off line, you need
        MrSid software (which is free). If you have photoshop, you
        can get a MrSid plugin which will allow to to import a
        *.sid file into photoshop. A terrific resource.

        This appears to be the original 1904 edition, not the revised 1908.

        TR Livesey
        westwood@...