Who won the battle of Antietam

    Message 1 of 52 , Feb 14, 2007
      Just got back from taking a tour of Gettysburg with a licensed guide.
      He was very talented, but I noticed that up there they like to say that
      Lee arrived in Pennsylvania with a record of 7-0-1. If Lee can be said
      to have 'lost' Gettysburg, what makes Sharpsburg a draw?

      Gallagher makes a good case for it being a strategic victory for Lee,
      as he left with a lot of supplies and managed to keep the AOP out of
      Virginia for so long. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

      Message 52 of 52 , Feb 21, 2007
        I am creating a matrix that displays, for each sector of the Maryland
        Campaign, which state fought against which state. I have taken a crack
        at Crampton's Gap and was wondering if any of you wouldn't mind taking
        a look at it to see if I have it right. Thanks.

        http://www.virtualantietam.com/dan_transfer/stateMatrix_cg.pdf (108kb)

        Stephen Recker