Fw: The Scouting Way Newsletter #30

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 18, 2001

      > MOMENT OF SILENCE
      > Tomorrow morning at 8:45 am will be the one week
      anniversary of the attack on America.

      > At that time (8:45 am in your local time zone), please
      stop whatever you're doing. Set down your coffee and turn off
      your monitor (or radio, if you're driving).

      > For the next 60 seconds think about those who perished
      and their families and friends, whose suffering has just begun.

      > Then, appreciate how lucky we are to be alive and realize
      our obligation to ensure that this never happens again.

      > Please forward this to everyone you know.
      > Let's show Scout Spirit in action!
      >

      > Welcome to this issue of The Scouting Way
      > Our hearts go out to the victims of last Tuesday's terrorist
      attack, and their loved ones. We've received messages of support
      from Scouting Way readers from all over the world. We want to
      thank them and share those e-mails with you.

      > Two traits Americans are known for are entrepreneurship and
      helping others. John Deniston's Eagle Project, Project Patriot,
      does both. John has created, and is selling, T-Shirts paying
      tribute to America's spirit, with all profits going to aid
      victims of the attack. He's also looking for other troops and
      packs to help out. For details or to order your shirt, go to
      www.voelker.com/projectpatriot/bsa.

      > History has shown that Americans are at their best when the
      chips are down. That's eloquently expressed in this week's
      Scouting Way, sent in by Brian Breshears, Cubmaster of Pack 420
      (Kent, WA).

      > Yours in Scouting,
      >
      > Sandra & Jeff Schwartz
      >
      > Below are e-mails received by The Scouting Way
      >
      > The 10th Langley Venturer Company, BC, Canada, would like to
      extend our deepest sympathies and extreme sorrow to all Americans
      in the wake of last week's horrific events. Our thoughts and
      prayers are with you at this time and only wish we could do more
      to help.

      > Constantly in our thoughts. Yours in Scouting,
      >
      > Lesley, (advisor)
      > Tory, Mike & Jesse (venturers)
      >
      > Please, I have no way to express my sorrow to all in the USA.
      At scouts on Friday we had prayers for all of you, it's not
      enough we know but it's all my lads can offer, yours in scouting,

      > Paul A Tuck
      > ADC Scouts. St Albans. Herts. UK
      >
      > I just want to say that everyone where I work (all races and
      religions) and my neighbours are horrified by what happened
      yesterday. The sense of shock is intense and our thoughts are
      with all the American people.

      > Regards,
      >
      > Dorothy Berry
      > Benoni, South Africa
      >
      > We would like you to know that we in the UK have our thoughts
      and prayers with your Nation, Families and each individual member
      of the Scouting fraternity at this time.

      > Our particular unit is a Guide unit (Girl Scouts) of nine
      Guides in a small rural village of 300 people, it is difficult
      for us to understand the numbers in New York or the size of the
      buildings. But we grieve with you. God Bless.

      > Jennie Pezet
      > Guider in Charge
      >
      > Just a quick note to say how sad we are to see the events of
      today in the U.S.A.

      > The people of G.B and the U.K are stunned at what we have seen
      today on our T.V's.

      > Our deepest sympathies go out to all the families involved in
      this terrible thing.

      > Our thoughts and prayers are with all Americans tonight.
      >
      > Brian & Susan Baldry and family.
      >
      > Hello Simba and all.
      >
      > I and all Indians, are also very shocked by the terrorist
      attack. We had been feeling the brunt of terrorism for a long
      time but this is big one. I hope all your family, friends and
      relatives are safe. I deeply mourn the death of so many innocent
      people.

      > We are with you in this moment of crisis.
      >
      > Thank you
      >
      > Rahul Sablawat
      >

      > We'll Go Forward From This Moment
      >
      > It's my job to have something to say.
      >
      > They pay me to provide words that help make sense of that which
      troubles the American soul. But in this moment of airless shock
      when hot tears sting disbelieving eyes, the only thing I can find
      to say, the only words that seem to fit, must be addressed to the
      unknown author of this suffering.

      > You monster. You beast. You unspeakable bastard.
      >
      > What lesson did you hope to teach us by your coward's attack on
      our World Trade Center, our Pentagon, us? What was it you hoped
      we would learn? Whatever it was, please know that you failed.

      > Did you want us to respect your cause? You just damned your
      cause.

      > Did you want to make us fear? You just steeled our resolve.
      >
      > Did you want to tear us apart? You just brought us together.
      >
      > Let me tell you about my people. We are a vast and quarrelsome
      family, a family rent by racial, social, political and class
      division, but a family nonetheless. We're frivolous, yes, capable
      of expending tremendous emotional energy on pop cultural
      minutiae -- a singer's revealing dress, a ball team's misfortune,
      a cartoon mouse. We're wealthy, too, spoiled by the ready
      availability of trinkets and material goods, and maybe because of
      that, we walk through life with a certain sense of blithe
      entitlement. We are fundamentally decent, though -- peace-loving
      and compassionate. We struggle to know the right thing and to do
      it. And we are, the overwhelming majority of us, people of faith,
      believers in a just and loving God.

      > Some people -- you, perhaps -- think that any or all of this
      makes us weak. You're mistaken. We are not weak. Indeed, we are
      strong in ways that cannot be measured by arsenals.

      > IN PAIN
      >
      > Yes, we're in pain now. We are in mourning and we are in shock.
      We're still grappling with the unreality of the awful thing you
      did, still working to make ourselves understand that this isn't a
      special effect from some Hollywood blockbuster, isn't the plot
      development from a Tom Clancy novel. Both in terms of the awful
      scope of their ambition and the probable final death toll, your
      attacks are likely to go down as the worst acts of terrorism in
      the history of the United States and, probably, the history of
      the world. You've bloodied us as we have never been bloodied
      before.

      > But there's a gulf of difference between making us bloody and
      making us fall. This is the lesson Japan was taught to its bitter
      sorrow the last time anyone hit us this hard, the last time
      anyone brought us such abrupt and monumental pain. When roused,
      we are righteous in our outrage, terrible in our force. When
      provoked by this level of barbarism, we will bear any suffering,
      pay any cost, go to any length, in the pursuit of justice.

      > I tell you this without fear of contradiction. I know my
      people, as you, I think, do not. What I know reassures me. It
      also causes me to tremble with dread of the future.

      > In the days to come, there will be recrimination and
      accusation, fingers pointing to determine whose failure allowed
      this to happen and what can be done to prevent it from happening
      again. There will be heightened security, misguided talk of
      revoking basic freedoms. We'll go forward from this moment
      sobered, chastened, sad. But determined, too. Unimaginably
      determined.

      > THE STEEL IN US
      >
      > You see, the steel in us is not always readily apparent. That
      aspect of our character is seldom understood by people who don't
      know us well. On this day, the family's bickering is put on hold.

      > As Americans we will weep, as Americans we will mourn, and as
      Americans, we will rise in defense of all that we cherish.

      > So I ask again: What was it you hoped to teach us? It occurs to
      me that maybe you just wanted us to know the depths of your
      hatred. If that's the case, consider the message received. And
      take this message in exchange: You don't know my people. You
      don't know what we're capable of. You don't know what you just
      started.

      > But you're about to learn.
      >
      > Leonard Pitts Jr.
      > The Miami Herald
      > Copyright 2001 Miami Herald
      >
      > Click here to read the article on The Miami Herald site.
      >

      > Subscribe Friends Preferences Contribute Story
      Unsubscribe About

      > Copyright 2000-2001 The Scouting Way. All rights reserved. The
      Scouting Way is not affiliated with the Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts,
      or any other organization.