Re: [TalkAntietam] Antietam tour report: Hooker's atttack

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 17, 2001
      Tom;

      Correct me if I should be wrong, but IIRC, the Balto. Light had a
      iron mountain howitzer in the West Woods that supposedly fired
      the first shot of the battle on the morning of September 17th.

      Your humble servant,
      Gerry Mayers
      Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

      Edward Lee

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 17, 2001
        Baltimore Lt. Art. and plaque are, (were?) in the West Woods clearing, pastthe
        maps on the walkway.
        Not an underground Spring house at Locher, it is a root cellar, dry.

        rotbaron@... wrote:

        > I joined all the park tour at Antietam on Saturday. At several points such as
        > Sunken Road and the Cemetery, a moment of silence was taken in respect of our
        > recent tragedy. I will try to keep my emails short by summarizing each hike
        > in a separate posting.
        >
        > I spent Friday night at the new Sleep Inn, which is on Route 65 (just south
        > of outlets, behind Wendy's). From there it is a short trip south to the park.
        >
        > I began the day at 6:30 AM when I parked my car at the Cornfield. I then
        > hiked up to the North Woods where the first tour was set to begin. From
        > previous experience, I deemed it better to have my car waiting where the hike
        > ends, as there was only a short break before the next hike began.
        >
        > I met fellow-member David Lutton and joined Ranger Keith Snyder and a group
        > of about 25 people. Fog above the Potomac and Antietam made referencing those
        > waterways quite easy. We followed a mowed path along original edge of North
        > Woods, then south thru East Woods. The path then headed west along the
        > northern edge of the Cornfield before heading straight south thru the
        > Cornfield. Keith said this path is now a permanent tour path and he will soon
        > have completed a tour guide that one can use to follow this trail.
        >
        > Keith noted the first shot may have come from Nicodemus Heights, but I recall
        > someone noting a marker stating the Balt Lt Artillery fired it. Can someone
        > clarify if and where such a marker is? I saw none along the Pike.
        >
        > We hiked over to the Dunker Church and out to the 125th PA monument.
        >
        > Tom Shay - Cressona, PA

      • David Lutton
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 18, 2001

          I just wanted to ditto your comments on the anniversary hikes this year. I
          think that NPS rangers Mike and Keith did a great job. Included on the
          Monday afternoon hike was a tour of the interior of the Sherrick home. This
          was a first for me. Mike said that the Sherrick's never returned to their
          home after the battle but was unsure as to why. They must have been a
          prosperous family the house was pretty substantial.

          The Locher cabin was also a highlight for me. I hope the NPS has plans to
          further stabilize the structure if for no other reason than its aesthetic
          value to the park.

          One question that came up during the Burnside bridge tour concerned
          artillery and its use during the attack. Both Mike and Keith said that in
          their reading of the action here both sides remember being under sustained
          artillery fire. But other than mention a section of Crook's artillery, they
          could not find reference to other artillery units engaged on this portion of
          the field. I remember reading somewhere that as many as 7 US batteries were
          firing on the narrow front presented by the Georgians. If that was indeed
          the case, was the 9th Corp so poorly served with their artillery support or
          was the rebel position that good?
          I find it hard to believe that many guns would not have had a much greater
          effect on the Georgians.

          David Lutton